C25K question

Options
I've been working away at C25K and last night completed Week 8, Day 1! I realize that I have only one more day left and then the last day just says "Run 5K"

However, I am a really slow runner. Really slow. Turtles pass me. Pregnant moms walking with 2-year-olds pass me. If I log my run as 4mph I'm pretty much reaching. I would say in reality I run closer to 3.5mph. So, for the last few weeks, my C25K app has had both a time to run (i.e. 28 mins) and a distance (i.e. 2.75 miles). I've been running for the length of time indicated but not getting anywhere near the distance. As a result, here in Week 8 I have finally worked up to running for 2 miles when I should be closer to 3.

So, what should I do after Week 8, Day 2? Should I go back a few weeks and re-run those trying to hit the distance marks rather than the time? Should I just keep running and work up to 3.1 miles on my own? I know I can't just add a mile to my next run after W8D2 so I need a plan to help me get there.

Also, I have found using an app to be really motivating to me so if anyone has other suggestions for apps that might help me increase speed/distance please let me know.

Thanks!

Replies

• mstrickland9
    Options
    I started running a couple years back with couch to 5K as well, and I never got up to running 3 miles in 30 minutes. I am still a slow runner, usually making is about 2.2 miles or so in my 30 minute run, which I do 5 days a week. I wouldn't feel bad about the distance if I were you, the main point is, you are running! Some days I run faster, some days are very very very slow jogs, but at the end of the day you still are exercising, and jogging for 30 minutes without stopping is quite an accomplishment, IMO. Keep up the good work! The distance and speed will come with time!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I can not answer the question about the app, nor have I done the couch to 5k. However having recently started jogging (I hit 30 minutes straight last week :smile: ) I do have a suggestion or two.

1. Just add a minute or two on every week until you hit 3 miles
    2. Look at the previous weeks and see how couch to 5k has increased the time you are jogging for and just calculate it up for the next few weeks until you hit the 3.10 miles
    3. Add some faster paced intervals into your runs ie you run along at 3.5 miles for the next 60secs up the speed to 4 miles, then back to 3.5 miles, then another 60secs at 4.

Don't try to combine suggestions 1 and 3 -> you can up distance or speed but not both at the same time (well you could but I've been told thats not recommended). Now that I can run (like you its a slow jog (4.1)) I too am trying to up my time/distance, so I can run a 5k in the summer, so far my plan is just to tack on extra minutes each week.
  • kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing 8 weeks of running.
    Now onto weeks 9, 10, 11.........
    You seem hung up on the speed and distance. The main thing is that you are out there moving and getting better.

C25K is a start, just keep working at what you are doing. Try to get a little better each time, add a few minutes of running and a few minutes of walking to your session.

Check out some of the books by John "The Penguin" Bingham, especially "No Need for Speed". He may give you a new view of yourself as a runner.

As far as running apps. I have always been a fan of RunKeeper: Great for tracking time and distance and even has an option for training plans, though I have not tried them.
    I really like watching my pace and times and trying to get a little better performance each time. I do not always get better, but I feel better about myself that I am out there trying.

Good Luck
  • shannonhairr
    shannonhairr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started running with the C25K app last June and loved it. I next went to the 10K app and ran a 10K in November last year. Now I am trianing for a half. Love the apps!!

You can either do a couch to 10K or a Bridge to 10K that assumes you can run the 5K already. I'm a slow runner as well - don't let that stop you! Also, I was having knee problems while doing the C25K and a seasoned runner told me my mileage was too much for how experienced I was. So don't feel bad if you need to repeat a week. He said that taking 12 weeks to work up to a 5K would be safer and less likely to incur injuries. Good luck!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Almost nobody finishes C25k running 3.1 miles in 30 minutes. You sound about average.

Bridge to 10k is a great program. I personally use the SmartCoach feature on the Runner's World website to provide a personalized plan. I love Endomondo to track my runs.

And CONGRATUALATIONS!!! This is a major accomplishment! Good for you!!!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just keep running. If you can do the 30 minutes of straight running then add on a few extra minutes each time until you can get to 5K. Not many people who run recreationaly actually do 5K in 30 minutes. For getting speed you can start back at the beginning and slow jog the walk parts and run the run parts faster. It really helps build you up and gives you goals.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm a C25K graduate and I just completed my first 5K this past sunday in 33:25. I can now comfortably run 5 miles at a time without stopping but I'm still slow. My average pace is around 10:45, and that's an improvement for me. I am now doing speed drills and tempo runs during the week and I have one long run on Sundays to help me build build up both my endurance and speed. I was told by my trainer to focus on running at a comfortable, easy pace with good form and then work on speed later. You're still a novice runner so why not just work on running a comfortable 5K with good form now and then worry about your speed later? I thought for sure I would be last but even at 33:25, I finished in the middle.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed, if you're enjoying yourself then just get out there and run.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I've been working away at C25K and last night completed Week 8, Day 1! I realize that I have only one more day left and then the last day just says "Run 5K"

However, I am a really slow runner. Really slow. Turtles pass me. Pregnant moms walking with 2-year-olds pass me. If I log my run as 4mph I'm pretty much reaching. I would say in reality I run closer to 3.5mph. So, for the last few weeks, my C25K app has had both a time to run (i.e. 28 mins) and a distance (i.e. 2.75 miles). I've been running for the length of time indicated but not getting anywhere near the distance. As a result, here in Week 8 I have finally worked up to running for 2 miles when I should be closer to 3.

So, what should I do after Week 8, Day 2? Should I go back a few weeks and re-run those trying to hit the distance marks rather than the time? Should I just keep running and work up to 3.1 miles on my own? I know I can't just add a mile to my next run after W8D2 so I need a plan to help me get there.

Also, I have found using an app to be really motivating to me so if anyone has other suggestions for apps that might help me increase speed/distance please let me know.

Thanks!

Huge congratulations on persevering with c25k and reaching the finish!

I don't care what speed you 'run' at, you are 'running'...you must be pleased about that,regardless of your pace.

You have the 5k run to do..my advice would be to do it, take the necessary walking breaks ( even the most seasoned marathon experts like galloway and higdon advocate walking breaks) and get a feel for how it feels.

Keep repeating this until you can make it all the way round. C25k encourages people to repeat any portion of it they struggle with.

Consolidate your training and keep working at it..you will get faster and more confident...and above all else, ENJOY your running!

On a side note, congratulations on becoming an accomplished runner.!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The goal should be to run the 5k regardless of time. The app is great to help get you started, but I think should focus on running the distance first and then worry about the time it takes later.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience. I finished C25K but could only run about 4k in the 30 minutes. I just kept building myself up a little at a time and in about 2 more weeks I was running the 5K in 38 minutes. Then I fell off the wagon and didn't go running for ages so now I am doing the C210K but I started at week 5 and I am trying to do the intervals a little bit faster than I did before. I am still very slow though!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The firs time I ran 3.1 miles, it took me 42 minutes. A few weeks later and I'm down to 37:11 as my best time. I've found that speed comes as you get more accustomed to the distance. You're doing great, just keep doing what you're doing and enjoy it. Just think back to the beginning when running for 30 seconds might have been a struggle. It always amazes me when I actually stop to think about it.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Congratulations on making it into week 8! That is a great accomplishment, you can be proud of yourself.

Don´t focus too much on the distance. Just go with the times. I seemed to use another C25k app than you, mine was 9 weeks and only counting time. Which made it 30 minutes run the last 3 days. This could be anything between 3 and 4.5k depending on my daily shape. It didn´t really matter how far I got. I just kept running.

Just ignore distance and go with time, it is easier to measure and it doesn´t stress you out. Maybe you want to continue with bridge to 10k. I just started that and it also goes by time. I am sure distance and speed will come. Just keep runnning!

If you want to measure distance, I use endomondo and started using runkeeper with caledos runner but I am still in the experimental period.
  • BookwomanTerri
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am still amazed that I can run for 2 miles - when I started it took me 12 tries to make it through W1D1! I appreciate your suggestions and good wishes.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well done on getting to where you are now!

I've just finished week 7 and did 3.23km in 25 minutes today. There is no way I will do 5km in 30mins and I'm not aiming for it. At my current pace, it would take me over 38 minutes. (If I could run for that amount of time at the pace I am now).

My goal is to be able to run 5km in 35mins by 18th May. I'm not aiming to go fast ever! I just want to do the distance. Next week I get to do 28 min runs and week 9 is the 30 min runs. All I aim to do is do a little bit more each week. By the time I get to May 18th, I know I will be able to do 5km. I hope to do it in the goal that I have (35 mins) but if I don't it really doesnt matter as long as I do the distance.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I did the c25k running program but I had a program called run double. It was free at first. It was actually a 9 week program. I didn't hit the 5k until the 3rd day on week 9 but had come very close the two previous runs. Maybe repeat a week or two. I haven't been able to get the 5k again without the ap. It must be a mental thing or that I am not giving running a 3 day a week time anymore. Good luck.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    slow and steady will get you to the finish line! Go and enjoy and congrats at hitting your two mile mark. That is a huge accomplishment!
  • shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just finished the program and was slightly disappointed when I finished my first 5k at 34 minutes...then I checked myself and did some research. Running fast doesn't come naturally to many people...they are usually people that have been training for years and are dedicated runners..not people, like myself, that just finished an 8 week program. Most of the research I read kept on stating this and saying that speed will come with time...just enjoy the fact that you can run (or jog) 30 minutes straight. :) Congrats on reaching week 8!