Want to run

Options
I would love to run....or at least jog. I have a hard time with my breathing. I've tried the run a minute or two and walk for a minute or two, but I can't get past that...I can't breath. Any suggestions to build up my endurance in that department? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• rosemarymint
    rosemarymint Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would love to run....or at least jog. I have a hard time with my breathing. I've tried the run a minute or two and walk for a minute or two, but I can't get past that...I can't breath. Any suggestions to build up my endurance in that department? Thanks in advance.
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    A track coach told me along time ago, that when I run I need to only Inhale deeply through my nose and exhale through my mouth. I focus on this when I run, you know "Mr. Miyagi" syle- IN, OUT, IN, OUT
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Rosemarymint!

I learned how to breath very efficiently from Yoga and Pilates practice...in through the nose, out through the nose...you know that sound you make when you pull air in breathing with your mouth open? Start by breathing deeply and slowly with your mouth open for a couple of breaths...now close your mouth and breath through your nose, pulling the air in to make that same sound as with your mouth open...breath deeply and slowly, filling up your body, concentrating on your breath...imagine your breath reaching your entire body and sending healing strength and power throughout...if you have a weak area, you can concentrate on your breath reaching that area, healing and strengthening.

Lessons learned by me when I used to run (now I dance): breathing correctly brought strength to my heart and lungs faster than my muscles around my knees strengthened...I was able to go long distances on the power of my heart and lungs...my knees paid the price...be sure to build your distance gradually so that the muscles and tendons around your knees, etc. are able to develop to go the distance without damage.

Enjoy yourself! You'll be amazed at how your strength and distance develop if your patient and stay with it!
  • hlminton
    hlminton Posts: 6
    Options
    Make sure you are breathing in through your nose when you run. Don't slouch over either.. its makes in more difficult to breathe. You should be standing very straight when you run.. think about how military men look when they run.

Its okay to alternate running and walking. Try to push yourself but don't stress that you can't run a marathon!
  • DebaDoIt
    DebaDoIt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You just have to push through it. Try running on a decline rather than a flat or incline atleast until your lungs get used to being expanded. You will get there.
  • rosemarymint
    rosemarymint Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!!! I'll give it a go.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Come and join us on the Runner's Club thread. We post daily about how much we ran or jogged, we ask questions or provide information and help for others.
    When I first started to jog, I joined the running room. The taught us to start slowly.
    They suggested running 3 times a week, approx 20 minutes each run. Of course this is only a suggestion but it worked for me.

Week 1 - Run 1 minute then Walk 1 minute - repeat
    Week 2 - same as above - repeat
    Week 3- Run 2 minutes, Walk 1 - repeat
    Week 4 - Run 3 minutes, walk 1 - repeat
    Week 5 - Run 4 minutes, walk 1 - repeat
    Week 6 - Run 5 minutes, walk 1 - repeat
    Week 7 - Run 7 minutes, walk 1 - repeat
    Week 8 - Run 8 minutes, walk 1 - repeat
    Week 9 - Run 9 minutes, walk 1 - repeat
    Week 10 - Run 10 minutes, walk 1 - repeat

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Mireille :flowerforyou:
  • meemi42
    meemi42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just pushing through it is probably the best advice. The first 1/4 mile or so will be the hardest but after that your body just kind of takes over and you sink into the rhythm. Just try not to panic when you feel like you are gasping for air.

I was never a good runner until I started the training program for a local 5k (for beginners). They start you out walking for four minutes, running for one, walking for three minutes, running for one and so fourth. It helps to build your stamina and decrease your recovery time. I'm not running marathons or anything but I have done two 5ks and run at least three times a week--- and I'm a big girl!

Also make sure you have good shoes. I can't stress that enough! Go to a running store and have them do an analysis on how you walk. They will tell you what type of shoe is best. It will make a world of difference.

Good luck!