TDEE/BMR abbreviations

Options
Hi guys

Can someone please explain what these stand for. I keep seeing them in a lot of posts and have no idea what they mean.

Thanks
Deb

Replies

• jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate and Total Daily Energy Expenditure :)

BMR = The amount of calories your body would burn if you were literally in a coma ie. doing nothing.

TDEE = The amount of calories your body will burn doing your everday activities ie. getting dressed, taking a shower etc.

Hope that helps! :) x
  • debbieb1971
    debbieb1971 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

When people talk about doing 15 - 20 % deficit of their TDEE is this just to speed up weight loss. Also, is it something that should only be done, once you get near your goal?
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For me personally, it's the theory that makes the most sense to me as it seems to be based on actual fact. It doesn't speed up weight loss, in fact if anything it stabilises your body and makes you lose at a slow but steady rate. A way that I personally think is more likely to stick and the weight will stay off. It can be done at any point in your weight loss journey.

If you do choose to try losing weight this way then be warned that if you end up upping your calories quite dramatically, which is what I did (I went from 1200 daily to 1675 daily), it will take your body a few weeks to adjust and realise it's not being starved anymore, so there's a chance that you won't see much change on the scale but it's very likely that you will see inches coming off instead :)

Have a read of this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

A long read but spells out exactly why the TDEE method works :)
  • debbieb1971
    debbieb1971 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link - will def be reading it tonight x