BE CAREFUL with PX90 . . .

Options
My physical therapist said PX90 has been fantastic for her business, expecially amongst the over 30's crowd.

If it works for you and it's fun - do it, but listen to your body (not your pride) and respect your limits.

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Why? Because people don't lift with proper form, I guess?
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you exercise after sitting on the couch for years you're bound to tear something up by starting a program such as P90X. I've seen people start on Insanity and do several workouts a day, completely overdoing it. Form has a lot to do with it. Gyms have mirrors for this reason, whereas your home probably doesn't. Some people push themselves too hard and ignore what their body tells them. It could also be that programs such as P90X, Insanity, etc. are responsible for getting a large amount of people off the couch and doing something whereas without that they'd never risk any injury except during commercial time for another snack. I'd be curious as to what your PT has encountered as far as the "why" these people on P90X are coming in instead of "that" they are coming in. It's a popular program and it could merely be they're only seeing a small fraction of those doing it, possibly being no higher percentage of people lifting weights, running, cycling, or walking.
  • favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    My husband and I were both well into obesity (BMIs ~41) when we started P90X last July. Two rounds later, we started Insanity. Now we're working through a hybrid of the two. Neither of us has had a serious injury, just some sore days here and there. And the one time I started hurting in my back, I took a few days really light before I really destroyed it.

This is all to say that we got up off our *kitten* and have been successful, but we followed the suggestions for modifications, light weights, extra breaks, etc. As we've lost weight (150+ between the two of us) and gained strength, we've worked our way up and can keep up more often than not. Every video has a warning, the accompanying booklets have warnings, and Tony (P90X) is constantly preaching form and safety. If people don't listen when their body says stop, they're only delaying their own success because they'll have to stop training. And let's face it, it's not easy going back.

(On the up side, hubby's a PT, too, so maybe he'll see some of those business benefits like the OP's therapist.)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I personally had to take care with my exercise. I had a knee that I could barely walk on for the past three years. No way I could have done something like insanity on this knee. Of course since my physical activity was limited due to this it helped me make almost no progress. I am now able to exercise and I feel better all the way around. I don't know what was wrong with my knee, but literally, I woke up one day and it was almost completely better. I'll certainly take that!