Is warm up/ cool down really necessary?

Options
I feel that it's kind of a waste of time when you're already crunched. I typically "warm up" for like 2 mins before exercising and then walk for a bit before I stop moving. But the trainer at the gym told me that she encourages pushing into anaerobic activity for several minuites at the end instead of a cool down. Does this practice make one more accident prone?

Replies

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    warm ups are supposed to get you "loosened up" before actually working out as well as raising your heart rate. i personally do not find the need for cooling down but to each their own.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Warming up is importent to prevend injuries.
    Cooling down is importend to prevend muscle-pain.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely important.
    Warm-up to increase blood flow to muscles, and lungs. Less chance of injury, and a better workout.
    Cool-down to gradually reduce heart rate, and stretch. Which increases flexibility, improves breakdown of lactic acid in the muscles, and decreases muscle soreness the next day.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I warm up - just enough to get the blood flowing (so a 15 minute walk is fine), then I stretch, then weight train. I cool down on my way home from the gym. lol I have not noticed any unbearable DOMS for lack of cooling down/stretching at the end.
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Injuries related to exercise usually occur because you don't warm up properly. Also, after a workout your muscles are loose so stretching them out will help you with your flexibility and muscle aches.

There are a lot of benefits of the two.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Yes.