Weekend calorie surplus...? Can anyone offer advice?

Options
Hi guys! First off thank you so much for taking the time to read this and respond.

I'm 17 y.o. female, 5'4 and 115 lbs. I'm not looking to seriously lose weight (although getting somewhere between 110-112 would be nice), but I definitely don't want to gain.

Generally, I eat about 1400-1600 calories a day, on top of being active. However, on the weekends my intake usually bumps up to being 1600-1800, and on a really bad weekend even 2200.

Does anyone know if this is okay? Will this make me gain weight if every weekend my intake could be up to 1800?

I really appreciate any advice!

Replies

• browncurlz3
    browncurlz3 Posts: 48
    Options
    One pound equals 3,500 calories. So if you take in an extra 3,500 calories in one week, then you may gain a pound. You're not quite there, so I think you are safe.

But you should consider assessing your weekend intake. Why are you eating more? Is it going out with friends? Parties? Drinks (pleasesaynoyoureonly17)? Maybe you can make healthier choices on weekends that keep you within your calorie goal? (But this is the pot calling the kettle black b/c my weekends totals are so bad compared to my week days. I guess there's a difference in knowing what I should be doing...and doing it.)
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Eating at TDEE= No change
    Below = Weight loss
    Above = Weight gain,
    If you eat at TDEE you will maintain your weight
  • rileyscoutko
    rileyscoutko Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    no, it's mostly because my parents are dieting, so on the weekends they like to cut loose (you can't say no to them around here :P)

but that's some great advice! thank you :)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You are doing more than fine, sweetie. I maintain my weight on about 1900 during the week and about 2500 to 2700 Fridays and Saturdays. Any less than that, and I would lose weight, which I'm not looking to do at this point.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You are doing more than fine, sweetie. I maintain my weight on about 1900 during the week and about 2500 to 2700 Fridays and Saturdays. Any less than that, and I would lose weight, which I'm not looking to do at this point.

How are your stats relevant, are you the same weight and activity level?

She's 5'4 115 llbs ... unless she's running 60 minutes a day, she's not going to be able to maintain eating an average of ~ 2100 cals/day over the course of a week. Her BMR is like 1300.

OP - 1400-1600 during the week and 1600-1800 on the weekend looks fine if you're an active person. If you want to be more accurate you should calculate your TDEE
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    to loose a weight you need to eat under your TDEE

yours is 1628, so if u eat more (without exercise u will gain weight.
    To loose weight eat 1300 o day netto. (re-eat ure exercise)
  • Dr_Gains
    Dr_Gains Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    from the way this is set up with the 1400-1600 during the week it looks as though it will all balance itself out. fat isnt gained over night and def not from one meal. its your weekly intake that matters. some days i eat 2500 some days 1800. end of week it is 2000 calories average a day and i am cutting. as long as you arent going on all out 3000 calorie binges on the weekend you will be fine.

***on another note this is one of the best most advanced free calorie calculators out there and you can get as detailed as you like to see the range of what you burn a day. obviously these are just estimates so always go with the lower totals but this has been my baby for a while now

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

She's 5'4 115 llbs ... unless she's running 60 minutes a day, she's not going to be able to maintain eating an average of ~ 2100 cals/day over the course of a week. Her BMR is like 1300.

OP - 1400-1600 during the week and 1600-1800 on the weekend looks fine if you're an active person. If you want to be more accurate you should calculate your TDEE

Um, I was trying to let her know she wasn't eating too much? OP was asking for advice. Sorry I replied!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! First off thank you so much for taking the time to read this and respond.

I'm 17 y.o. female, 5'4 and 115 lbs. I'm not looking to seriously lose weight (although getting somewhere between 110-112 would be nice), but I definitely don't want to gain.

Generally, I eat about 1400-1600 calories a day, on top of being active. However, on the weekends my intake usually bumps up to being 1600-1800, and on a really bad weekend even 2200.

Does anyone know if this is okay? Will this make me gain weight if every weekend my intake could be up to 1800?

just watch the scale, if it goes up, then add in extra exercise on the weekends/week or adjust your weekend calories.

in the end, everyone can tell you calories in calories out, TDEE etc etc.

just watch the scale. it will give you the answer.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

Um, I was trying to let her know she wasn't eating too much? OP was asking for advice. Sorry I replied!

mmm... you probably cant use yourself as an example in this case.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    I understand we all have different TDEE's. However, the OP main concern was that she is eating more on the weekends than she does during the week, and was hoping it would not cause her to gain weight.

I wanted to let her know that this is normal, and many people like myself do this as well, and it has not hindered my efforts at all.
    I don't see any reason why it would hinder hers.
  • rileyscoutko
    rileyscoutko Posts: 38 Member
    Options

no! thank you so much for your advice! i really appreciate it :) i feel less guilty now ~ <3
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

just watch the scale, if it goes up, then add in extra exercise on the weekends/week or adjust your weekend calories.

in the end, everyone can tell you calories in calories out, TDEE etc etc.

just watch the scale. it will give you the answer.

and measurements :smile:

TDEE calculators are estimates. Outcome based decision making is required in this case. Do this for a few weeks and see if you need to adjust or not.