12,000 calories a day? Could MFP even keep up?

onwarddownward
onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
According to the New York Post this is Phelps' daily diet:

Phelps lends a new spin to the phrase "Breakfast of Champions" by starting off his day by eating three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

He follows that up with two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

At lunch, Phelps gobbles up a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

For dinner, Phelps really loads up on the carbs - what he needs to give him plenty of energy for his five-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week regimen - with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza.

He washes all that down with another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

That's 12,000 calories a day--six times what the average man should have.

Michael-Phelps-005.jpg

Wow. That's a lot of chow.

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I can barely stand working out for an hour, let alone 5 hours... 6 days a week.

-_-
  • kimcatus
    kimcatus Posts: 27
    I get excited when I burn 1,000 calories after a long run and can eat 2,500 some odd calories that day.... LOL
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Just remember this is only while he is training. I would like to know his non training calorie consumption.
  • GreenEggsNHan
    GreenEggsNHan Posts: 27 Member
    Lucky *kitten*. :tongue:
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    He stated during the 2012 olympics that he eats a lot healthier nowadays and he doesn't need such a huge amount of food to feel full.
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    just thinking about all the food he eats makes me sick to my tummy. Could you imagine.. I would be so sick of eating... All he really would have time to do in a day is workout and eat. :/
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Just remember this is only while he is training. I would like to know his non training calorie consumption.

Very true. That's the problem w/a lot of the retired NFL players...they keep eating like they used to, but aren't training like they used to anymore. That adds up fast. It must be very hard to get into the habit of eating that much every day & then have to learn not to anymore.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    That's why ex top sporters are fat.. They are use to eat everyhing they can get a hand on.
    If u stop burning then u must stop eating.

I had the same, not a top sporter but was sporting and burning a lot.

Changed the burning and not the eating...
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    I would like to see:
    - his calorie usage on his workouts?
    - calories eaten when he is not training
    - his BMR and a few other numbers.

Remember he is a professional athlete and a lot of these guys eat a lot more than people think and have a metabolism to support it.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    I just wonder how you could swim with all that food in the gut. I can't eat or drink much before swimming or I end up with reflux from the activity and pressure. Bleck.