Drinking alcohol whilst trying to lose weight?

Options
I enjoy a glass of red wine with my evening meal. But I have a feeling drinking alcohol is slowing down my weight loss or reversing it lol!

Does anyone else have the same problem? Or anyone else that drinks and is still able to lose weight?

:ohwell:

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Are you going over your calories? If not, you will lose and still be able to drink in moderation.
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    Don't forget to log it... if you are drinking a glass of the wine at 8 oz, it should have between 180-200 calories in it... It isn't that big of a deal calorie wise. Just keep plugging along on the road through weight loss.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I drink a shed load of red and still lose.

Doubtless I would lose quicker if I replaced it with water but I find water doesn't hit the same spot late at night.

As others have noted recently the problem with alcohol isn't the 'empty calories', it's the food consumed with it and the fact the body has to clear it as a priority which slows fat loss.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I still have my wine on occasion, my weight loss stalled big time when I was drinking wine almost everyday....once I cut back to 1 or 2 nights a week now , I lost the last 5 pounds I was trying to get rid for 2 years!!
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I lose weight much slower when I drink wine, but life is so much more fun with wine in it :drinker:
  • gfiorine
    gfiorine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I plan on drinking wine at night, I do about double the exercise I would normally do....at least that's my plan! However, I just count it as regular calories and as long as I stay under my allowed calories, I keep losing weight.
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think binge drinking is the detrimental one, but even a beer every other night isn't bad it really depends on your metabolism and tolerance for alcohol!
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I, too, drink a fair bit of wine and have managed to lose a lot of weight. The key is to stay under your daily target. Use MFP to know if on any given day if you can afford to have that second (or first) glass. BTW - in some ways I have learned to enjoy wine more because i find myself having smaller amounts and enjoying the taste.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I actually came across a great article about this subject at LeanGains yesterday (while I was having a beer)

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Having a glass of wine or mixed drink occasionally has not affected my weight loss or now maintenance in any way. When I know I'm meeting friends, I just plan it into my calories and enjoy.
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy my wine on a regular basis. However, it wasn't until recently when I started measuring each glass with a measuring cup did I realize why I didn't seem to lose as fast sometimes. Just log it very accurately
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    I don't drink at all, but from seeing fellow MFP friends' diaries, general consensus is Wine is okay in moderation, as for beer.. I wouldn't suggest it.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to log my alcohol in my diary, I keep it in my calories or don't have it. I do drink, have lost 129 lbs and still going strong. It only slows down things when you over indulge. I have found out that dark alcohol like Whiskey or dark rum, doesn't agree with me, it usually adds more water weight to me even within my calories.
  • clairabellle
    clairabellle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I add my wine cals everyday and measure it accurately and still manage to lose weekly. It's all about moderation and being sensible. Good luck :-)
  • Suemalc64
    Suemalc64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the same problem but have found a low calorie Black Tower, which they have in white, rose and red, only 55 calories a glass and the most important thing is that it tastes really nice

Good luck with your weight loss x
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Count and measure.

It's also a liquid sugar (after it goes into your system), so it will spike your insulin levels, making you hungrier and temporarily halting fat burning in favor of storing fat until the sugar is out of your system. That's true for everyone. If you are sensitive to it, it's much worse. My husband drops weight rapidly if he doesn't drink and doesn't lose at all when he does - at identical logged calorie levels.

That said, I am having a glass of wine as I write this and will certainly have a drink or so a week if I want one. I log it. I've hit my weight goal. It hasn't been problematic for me.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I have 2-3 glasses of wine a week and have no problem still losing weight, but I do log it, and I only drink with a meal.

I typically drink merlot or white zin, and I haven't noticed any problems with my weight loss. Just log it and make sure you drink enough water throughout the day.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would love to have the occasional glass of wine, but if I drink any form of alcohol I stall completely for the week.
    I think it just depends on the person. If you can lose while having a drink every so often, go for it!:drinker:
  • mlfrailing
    mlfrailing Posts: 79
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet. Beer is out of the question, especially a good imported Weiss beer. Whiskey, on the other hand has no carbs and only 69 calories an ounce. I like to have a few ounces, no ice and a glass of water on the side. :drinker:
  • amandaleigh_
    Options
    I lost most of my weight still drinking a glass of wine with dinner and social drinking occasionally on weekends.

I did cut back the wine within the last 3 months (say 2 nights instead of 5) and I've actually noticed a significant difference. Less bloat, dropping my last stubborn pounds faster.