Fit Bit. Yess or noo

Options
. Fell of the wagon cause of missing soo many gym days. But with graduation nd finals around the corner I havent been able to make it into the gym. Yea. I know I could work out at home but hate not knowing how much calories ive burned. Im planning on starting insanity once school ends & I think ive found a new inspiration. Everyone always talks about the fit bit. I plan on investing in a fit bit soon. Any suggestions . My price range max is $50w

Replies

• GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Hell. Yes.

Maybe if you look on ebay you can find a fitbit one cheaper (what I have & rave about), or a new zip is around $60. Either way, YES.
  • CandyDiehardBAMF
    CandyDiehardBAMF Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I loved my fitbit (recently lost it) and I had the zip. It really did encourage me to get the steps in and helped me to see how much I was walking, especially when I was out on travel and my main mode of transport in a city was walking. It integrates into MFP and will adjust your calories based on your activity and I think that is pretty cool, so if you walk tons, you will get an adjustment giving you more calories. Some fitbits will track your sleep but those are more expensive, I would like one eventually. Gotta get a replacement!

I think it would be a good investment especially if your main form of exercise is walking.
  • adaowerri
    adaowerri Posts: 34
    Options
    Whats a zip ?
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I would love to get a fitbit but got to save up for new glasses first :/
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit one. I have lost more weight with it. It won't help for workouts like insanity or non walking/running workouts, but great for daily activity. Really gets you walking more. Try eBay.
  • adaowerri
    Options
    So what kind of device would I use to calculate calories burned during insanitty or p90x videos
  • benum21121
    benum21121 Posts: 200
    Options
    Absolutely- go with a Fitbit. Huge game changer for me over the last month since I got mine! Love it!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    So what kind of device would I use to calculate calories burned during insanitty or p90x videos

41aY6TcpL1L._SY300_.jpg

Polar Heart rate monitor for workouts, fitbits are great( I love mine) but for workouts you need a HRM.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • magicretreat
    magicretreat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I found myself checking it all the time, trying to beat my previous steps goal. It made me push myself a little harder. :) I recently lost mine, but I contacted the support center online, and after a couple days, they said they'd send me a replacement! I'm so stoked and just waiting to receive it so I can obsess over it again. lol jk.
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Best Buy had the Fitbit zips for $50 and free shipping!
  • slimcakelady
    slimcakelady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It would be a great investment towards your health, and I would highly recommend it. I purchased mine throught verizon wireless online and paid less than $45. I would also check on Amazo.com. I've had mine ince February, and it helps me stay on track by giving me daily goals to meet. You will not be disappointed. Also, their custoer service is great. I lost mine, and they gladly replaced it for free.
  • prozac5489
    prozac5489 Posts: 33
    Options
    A Fitbit is essentially a pedometer, so it will do a great job at counting the number of steps you take while you walk, run, etc. Unlike other pedometers, it's calorie calculator is pretty darn accurate with what you burn while walking/running. The Fitbit Zip only tracks steps and distance, but the Fitbit One and Fitbit Flex will also tell you how many stairs you've climbed in a day and can figure out the calorie count for that, too. One and Flex can also help you gauge how restful your sleep is.

As far as other activities...all of the Fitbits will also register that you are doing some form of movement during a more stationary workout (like lifting), but it can't tell you how many calories your burning during those exercises. For something like insanity or p90x, you might want to invest in a heart rate monitor. It likely won't calculate your calories for you, but you can get a good estimation based on how long you sustained a certain heart rate or stayed within a set range.

That being said, I LOVE my Fitbit Zip. That little sucker has definitely made me up my general activity level. I went from maybe walking 1500 steps a day to 10-15,000 a day regularly. It's silly, but the Zip has a little smiley face that gets happier the more you move and more disappointed the longer you stay sedentary. Honest to God, sometimes I've gotten up from my computer and taken a quick 5 minute walk around the block/yard just to make the Fitbit happy. It's like a Tamagotchi for grown ups, except to make your 'pet' happy, you've actually got to do more than push buttons.

Incidentally, the Fitbit Zip's programmers put in an Easter Egg. Occasionally random monsters flit across the screen. I have yet to determine how likely you are to see these, but I have noticed that I see the monsters more if I meet my goals...so I find myself pushing myself to meet those goals just so I can see what new monsters this silly thing shows.

Weird what random motivators work to get you moving, eh?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, the Fitbit Zip's programmers put in an Easter Egg. Occasionally random monsters flit across the screen. I have yet to determine how likely you are to see these, but I have noticed that I see the monsters more if I meet my goals...so I find myself pushing myself to meet those goals just so I can see what new monsters this silly thing shows.

I did not know that. I'm going to have to move it to where it's more visible now. :laugh:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I got a zip about a month ago...I love it! I wear it all day. The store was selling all the colors for one price....except blue...which was ten bucks less...so I have a blue one. If I had a smart phone I might eventually upgrade to another model, but as it is, this gadget is terrific! Two thumbs up!
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I would love to get a fitbit but got to save up for new glasses first :/

Zennioptical.com!
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question. I was wondering what a FitBit was and how I might use one.
  • adaowerri
    Options
    Sooo which one would be of better use to me, fit bit or a heart rate monitor
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Depends on how your main goal. If it is just to know estimate of calories during workouts, then a HRM monitor. If you are more interested of what your calories are for the day, the fitbit will be good for that. A HRM is not useful for day to day activities. I have both, but only because I was able to get a polar for $5 (on sale and reward points).
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and its great. my mom got a fitbit zip and regrets it.

heart rate monitor would be good also, I wouldnt mind one myself.

fitbit is really only for walking, running, daily exercise i.e cleaning etc.

for everything else, HRM is the way I'd say.