Protein question

Options

Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    you should be getting 40 to 50 grams protein daily max!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Lentils. They are inexpensive, you don't have to soak them, and they cook in about 30 minutes. Eat with brown rice and veggies.

The protein in one cup of lentils = the protein in 3 eggs.

You can also make delicious quick chili with lentils.

Also- Greek yogurt!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Lots of great responses here so I won't duplicate..
    But I did want to comment on one thing --- protein powder does NOT have to be expensive to be good.
    Even the whey isolate from Walmart is good..

One of my favorites is called "About Time" and I get it on Amazing for around $25 but it makes a whole lot of shakes.

I:'m a coffee fanatic so this is how I make my shakes in a 24oz blender bottle:
    1 cup almond milk
    2 cups cold coffee (i usually use decaf)
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1-2 tbsp sugar free hazelnut or vanilla creamer

You'll never need starbucks again :)
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i usually mix in some tuna and cottage cheese when i see i am going low on protein that day
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    you should be getting 40 to 50 grams protein daily max!

37759079.jpg

That is crazy low for protein intake. Just look up any calculator or article about protein intake and they are all way above 40-50 grams...unless you weigh 50 lbs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. Too many meat and potato people have no idea of the goodness of tasty stuff such as tilapia, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds. Much better on micronutrients too.

I use this formula to calculate protein goals.

Weight in pounds / 2.2 x 0.8 for sedentary individuals
    Weight in pounds / 2.2 x 1.8 for high-exercise individuals

Is there any benefit at all going beyond this?

I completely agree with you. I figured at 1.5 since I exercise usually 5 times a week (cardio for 45 min then weights for 30). It just seems like soooo much haha

I'm a little miffed because I can't find the article but... I read a peer reviewed scientific (which is code for: legit science) article that actually tested optimization of protein levels for people, it was a mix of dieters and non-competing "weekend warrior" style athletes. Their studies found that an optimal protein quantity in their study for muscle preservation and growth was roughly .6 - .8g per pound of lbm. Their findings suggested that more than that was inefficient, and they had people in the study taking in as much as 2g per pound of current weight.

If I can find it again I'll link it, as it really gives the broscience a bit of the rough end. Their findings also suggested that it was not possible for the average test subject to ingest "too much protein" at the levels they tested.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Lots of great responses here so I won't duplicate..
    But I did want to comment on one thing --- protein powder does NOT have to be expensive to be good.
    Even the whey isolate from Walmart is good..

One of my favorites is called "About Time" and I get it on Amazing for around $25 but it makes a whole lot of shakes.

I:'m a coffee fanatic so this is how I make my shakes in a 24oz blender bottle:
    1 cup almond milk
    2 cups cold coffee (i usually use decaf)
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1-2 tbsp sugar free hazelnut or vanilla creamer

You'll never need starbucks again :)

THIS sounds amazing!! I was wondering if the walmart brand was any good..Thanks for letting me know!!
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. Too many meat and potato people have no idea of the goodness of tasty stuff such as tilapia, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds. Much better on micronutrients too.

I use this formula to calculate protein goals.

Weight in pounds / 2.2 x 0.8 for sedentary individuals
    Weight in pounds / 2.2 x 1.8 for high-exercise individuals

Is there any benefit at all going beyond this?

I completely agree with you. I figured at 1.5 since I exercise usually 5 times a week (cardio for 45 min then weights for 30). It just seems like soooo much haha

I'm a little miffed because I can't find the article but... I read a peer reviewed scientific (which is code for: legit science) article that actually tested optimization of protein levels for people, it was a mix of dieters and non-competing "weekend warrior" style athletes. Their studies found that an optimal protein quantity in their study for muscle preservation and growth was roughly .6 - .8g per pound of lbm. Their findings suggested that more than that was inefficient, and they had people in the study taking in as much as 2g per pound of current weight.

If I can find it again I'll link it, as it really gives the broscience a bit of the rough end. Their findings also suggested that it was not possible for the average test subject to ingest "too much protein" at the levels they tested.

If you can find that article that would be great! I know all about peer reviewed scientific articles haha. I'm only allowed to use them for my master's level classes :-P
  • 2boned
    2boned Posts: 44
    Options
    THIS sounds amazing!! I was wondering if the walmart brand was any good..Thanks for letting me know!!
    [/quote]

I use the protein from Walmart.. Bodyfortress whey protein.. I alternate, use the chocolate straight with almond milk and also use vanilla and add peanut butter.. 52 grams of protein for 2 scoops and i think it tastes great!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options

That would be in 30s for me as far as I can tell. My average is usually in the 30-40s. Hope to read the article some day.
  • jonipaxton
    jonipaxton Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello,

I know that protein can be a bit expensive however look into your local "Vitamin World" store they have a wonderful rewards program "free" where when you sign up the provide you with many great coupons, values & even rebate rewards every quarter! I know the challenge to get all your protein in as I have to do the same! I also found that I enjoy the yoplait frozen greek yogurt bars are yummy and are a great source of protein!!! Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Expensive? Whey protein powder is the cheapest £ per gram of protein on the planet. Chicken breast per gram of protein is 4 times the price

This? Not helpful.

Think this person was actually being quite helpful. Whey might be expensive to buy at first but it lasts for ages. I'd obviously prefer to get my levels up with food but sometimes that can be very limiting if you are trying to keep the calories low (as most foods with high protein have high fat).

Look out for offers if you want to give it a try, if not, i think everyone has covered the high protein foods for you. Good luck with it.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Protein powder (whey) costs about 15 to 30 dollars on Amazon. If you use one scoop a day which would be add 24 to 30 grams of protein depending on the protein powder you buy, the protein powder would last you about 2 months.

Chicken breast; turkey; pork; almonds; peanut butter; whole grain rice, pasta, bread; lean cuts of beef (at least 95 percent lean), fish in its many forms and flavors; low carb and fat yogurt; cottage cheese; cheese; milk., egg whites; full eggs.

Eat more animals, and products animals produce, and whole grain starch.

Here is one link that may settle the protein debate: http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Not everyone needs 1 gram per pound of body weight. If you get .5 to .8 gram per pound, you're doing fine. You may not even need that much. I try and get 30% of my macros in protein. That makes a very balanced way to eat. But to get more protein, you want to make sure you get a complete protein. Not soy or stuff like that. A good whey protein powder will help. Also, egg white protein is wonderful. I use Jay Robb.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs. :)
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan and have no trouble getting healthy protein; kale, quinoa, I love yellow lentils..you can make a dahl which is creamy and delicious, alvarado protein bread, hummus, etc..

I buy a high quality protein powder online in bulk so it is cheap and make a shake every morning with kale,fresh berries, flax seed, cocoa powder, amla, fresh pressed juice, ginger and nut butter.
    I end up getting a lot of my protein for the day as well as a lot of vitamins and minerals right off the bat :)

If you eat a super healthy plant based diet you won't have trouble getting the amount of protein you need...I think it's exaggerated in our culture how much we actually DO require.I dance nine hours a week, hike and hit the gym and I get plenty for my requirements :)
  • Ruthannlandsman
    Options
    Hi

Thats alot of protein, unless you are a body builder. Maybe use your ideal "lean" body mass. Try tuna.... eggwhites... :smile:
  • Howlowcanmogo
    Options
    Try Quenwa or string cheese or greek yogurt. All good protein - I get too much protein. Best of protein.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    peanut/almond butter.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of half answers given.

1-Most animal/bean & nut proteins are casein http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/casein-allergy-overview

Short-casein protein can be absorbed by the body over a longer duration of time i.e. the whole day. Some great sources are FRESH fish, range eggs, nuts & beans.

2-Most of the shelf (Walmart/GNC/Meijer) Protein mixes are made of a mixture of Whey Isolate & Whey Compound. Whey protein has an absorbtion rate of within 20-40 minutes of a workout http://www.livestrong.com/article/462670-how-fast-does-whey-get-absorbed/

I have found the best results by adding natural sources to snacks throughout the day and a post workout source, u guessed it, immediately after my workouts.
    An easy source of a "clean" whey protein is in a fruit smoothie.
    Body Fortress Lean has the highest amount of whey protein isolate I have been able to find off the shelf & its available @ most meijer strores for approx $16 a container.

I usually mix 2 scoops with a half bag of unsweetened frozen fruit, 2 banana's & 20 oz of milk. The calorie count is high per serving, but he results with increased muscle recovery & decreased fatigue are well worth it.

Hope it helps!