Just can't stay motivated

Options
I love my fitness pal. Last year I lost thirty five pounds. I can't seem to get motivated. I think when I hit a plateau I started looking for a solution. Weight watchers, paleo, carb cycling, intermittent fasting... I don't know what approach to take and feel disappointed. Any advice is appreciated.. also if you would add me to your friends list I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Michele ????❤????

Replies

• babytis
    babytis Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm in almost the same boat here! My problem is I just can't seem to be good with food and I'm having trouble with consistant exercise :( The long winter didn't help matters any either. Tomorrow is Monday and I'll try again :(
    <3 Jenny
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Getting motivated and staying motivated has been and continues to be really hard for me. I would encourage you to keep reading the message boards....they have been the biggest source of help for me as I begin this journey. Not only will you find motivational posts but you will also read about another person's challenges that are similar to your own.

The best advice I found on these message boards was how to figure out the appropriate amount of calories to consume. I chose to calcualte my calories using the TDEE method minus 20%. I found I was able to increase the number of calories I thought I needed to eat in order to lose weight. When I first started my journey I thought I needed to eat 1200 calories a day and exercise everyday in order to lose. And...I was afraid to eat back my exercise calories. Now, I can eat 1600 calories a day (using the TDEE method, I don't eat back my exercise calories...they are already factored in) and I am losing more and more consistently. It has really helped because it was just too challenging when I was trying to eat such a low calorie count.

Sorry to be long winded, but what I am trying to say is find out how many calories you can eat to lose weight. Either use the TDEE method or if you use MFP's calculation be sure to eat back all of your exercise calories. You will be more successful if you are not starving!! There are so many successful people on this site who eat more to weigh less!!

Best of luck to you....you can do this!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    don't rely on motivation. and make whatever you're doing as simple as possible.
    small calorie deficit, workouts that are so short and you love, you have no excuse.
    what you're eating doesn't matter much, what works well for me, may not work
    well for others, but much research shows if you eat a significant amount of protein
    ex. 100g a day, it prevents muscle loss while you lose fat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Michele -

It's hard to stay motivated all the time. I assume you lost the 35 pounds tracking your calories here on MFP.
    You know it's successful, so changing plans may not be a good idea.
    Maybe if you try to change up your meals you'll feel re-motivated. I tend to eat the same meals all the time, and can get bored. I'm trying to "shake things up" by finding some new recipes to try so I won't throw in the towel.

Hang tough girl - you'll be disappointed in yourself if you don't!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    don't rely on motivation. and make whatever you're doing as simple as possible.
    small calorie deficit, workouts that are so short and you love, you have no excuse.
    what you're eating doesn't matter much, what works well for me, may not work
    well for others, but much research shows if you eat a significant amount of protein
    ex. 100g a day, it prevents muscle loss while you lose fat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

Katy! :love: :love: :love:
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love my fitness pal. Last year I lost thirty five pounds. I can't seem to get motivated. I think when I hit a plateau I started looking for a solution. Weight watchers, paleo, carb cycling, intermittent fasting... I don't know what approach to take and feel disappointed. Any advice is appreciated.. also if you would add me to your friends list I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Michele ????❤????

I don't really have any advice, I just wanted to say you are not alone. I've lost all motivation too. I'm trying so hard to get it back.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Same here.... I have lost 30 pounds too using MFP, and would like to loose 30 more.
    At some point when you start pleateauing or maintaining it's not easy to keep motivated.... How many calories do you currently eat ? do you exercise ?
    Maybe try to reduce a bit your calories intake - I've started not to eat my exercise calories back, and it seems to work a little...

Although trying to measure your amount of food carefully aka using a kitchen scale etc.
    You can add me if you want, since it looks like we have the same issues !!!
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    It's all clean eating and lessening your portions and eating CONSISTENTLY.

I also had an uber skinny picture of me that I looked at for motivation, hired a trainer, did weight training min 3-4 times a week and bam ;)

I wish you all the best hope my advice helps :)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It was always the same for me when I was a smoker. I would get motivated to quit, and next thing you know I just lost my mojo. It took getting re-motivated repeatedly, and finally I found that one day something clicked and I was ready to go the distance. I remember just feeling different in mind. I looked at the obstacle and knew how hard it would be, but I envisioned my self succeeding. On days where I wanted to give up because it seemed too hard I would ask myself, "Is this really too hard? Or not easy enough?" I think we have to keep digging deeper to find the most valuable gold. You just have to buck up and say to yourself "I am going over this mountain and you are coming with me whether you like it or not!"
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    feeling like you are not getting any results is probably the most frustrating part of any program, whether it be for losses or gains. I know from my personal experience that just when I thought I had had enough of putting myself through all the hard work, and that it was time to stop forcing the issue, I was always on the verge of a breakthrough. sometimes I have made those breakthroughs, sometimes i have given in to the temptation to quit and have regretted it. if you don't keep try to maintain your program when it feels tough, any gains you get in the short term will never last long term. sometimes it isn't about the gain or loss, its about maintaining long enough for the surrounding issues to get sorted out. I say tough it out if you can, grit your teeth and push forward with your program. if motivation is waning, it was probably because your motivation came from an external source, consciously or otherwise. Finding intrinsic reasons will help keep motivation high, and keep the engine running full speed ahead, with less concern about short term results and better all around dedication to a program that can seem tough or not worthwhile. it is also worth noting at the same time however, that your program MAY NOT be the right fit for you, based on lifestyle, health concerns, medical history etc. while maintaining your program, its okay to educate yourself and find out some options to achieve your goals, and if what you are doing is what you should be doing for your body. You certainly wouldn't be the first person pursuing a goal through a method that wasn't really effective for their particular body, type, etc.
  • HappyAlex1
    HappyAlex1 Posts: 13
    Options
    bump
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm working on this myself but I find at this point its a mind game. To see myself at a lesser weight..is difficult and start to sabotage myself with excuses and mind games . I don't know if others have that problem.. Is it fear? I know something is there but I haven't worked it out. Either way the next 10 lbs will be a huge challenge to work out and succeed with. In saying all that I think to understand and see a problem is part of the way there. Its obvious if we have follow MFP food intake and we have lost weight and we keep on doing it at the end of the day it will continue to work. The challenge for me is to overcome any negative thought processes that hind my weight loss and find ways to take positive steps and thoughts to replace the old.
    Good luck to us all x
  • alone_aqua
    alone_aqua Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about the plateau's you are experiencing. They're normal and healthy. Rapid/consistent non-stop weight loss is abnormal and you risk gain if you experience this. Most of us are young adults are older which means we've spent nearly decades putting on a certain about of weight via a lifestyle, and it may take years to begin to reverse. You want your body to do this as natually as possible. That means months of loss, stagnation, gain, etc. Spend more time monitoring your behaviors, give yourself points for behaving healthfully- eliminate all deadlines you have in your head about XXx lbs. by Summer, and xxx lbs. by Winter- those ruin your mental strength. Throw out your scale and visit a phyisican or nutritionist once every SEVERAL months. You are a new person now, one who is conscious of how they fuel their body and live their lives. Congradulate yourself
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    im very much the same. lost 10kg a year ago, but since then have put it back on and cant get back into it.

so im just gonna try again.

this time i have worked out exercises that i can do at home or in my street so im going to see if i can something every night as excercise has been my main downfall, due to the fact that i like to eat so i need the exercise to combat my eating :D (i dont eat to excess, just not good enough)