Question about pregnancy and calorie intake

Options
sculley
sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
SHould I be on a regiment to loose a lb a week? I am 6 weeks preggo and for some reason 1200 calories a day just seems way way to small of an amount of calories for me... Not too mention my body is telling me im starving

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    No ma'am! Your baby needs those calories. I would definitely let your doctor tell you how many calories to eat and not mfp. MPF is not designed to diet the prego woman. Congrats by the way!
  • berry_nice579
    berry_nice579 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yup this thing is not made for pregnant women.. i think i read that you need an additional 500 calories now that you're pregnant you can changeit by clicking on the custon settings. and you shouldn't be losing weight while pregnant!!!! xD
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I agree. . .definitely consult your doctor. When I was pregnant my doctor recommended I eat 300 extra calories a day in addition to what I should "normally" eat for my weight range. Of course I didn't exactly listen to him so that is why I am now fighting this battle of losing it. . .so good job to you for keeping on it!!! And congrats!! :happy:
  • berry_nice579
    berry_nice579 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i googled it and this it what came up, hope it helps!!!

taken from http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_health_features_details.asp?channel_id=39&relation_id=2114&health_feature_id=97&article_id=258

During the first trimester, most women usually don't need to increase their usual daily intake of calories (i.e., 1,800 to 2,000 calories) unless they need to compensate for starting a pregnancy underweight. But even if extra calories aren't consumed in the first trimester, you should still make balanced nutrition part of your daily wellness plan.

During the second and third trimesters, you will need an extra 200 to 300 calories each day. But that doesn't mean feeling uncomfortably full: for example, just one piece of toast and a banana can supply those extra calories.

There are exceptions to the extra-calories rule: women who start out under- or overweight, women who are very physically active, and women with certain medical conditions should talk to their doctor about specific caloric needs.

Choose healthy foods to supply calories instead of high-fat or high-sugar alternatives. For example, if you like sweetened snacks and beverages, remember that fresh and dried fruits, and fruit juice concentrates, are sweet but also contain important vitamins and nutrients (unlike some other high-sugar snacks). The occasional ice cream treat is OK, but note that enjoying a cone or small bowl of low-fat yogurt is a more nutritious way to obtain dietary calcium.

Women with diabetes should talk to their doctor or a registered dietitian about their special nutritional needs during pregnancy. Women who are pregnant and have diabetes should carefully monitor their blood sugar levels to make sure the levels remain within the normal range. Women with blood sugar levels that are too high risk having a difficult birth. They also risk having babies that weigh more than normal at birth and have various newborn problems.

Women who did not have diabetes before may also develop the condition during pregnancy. This kind of diabetes is known as gestational diabetes. Most women with gestational diabetes can control their condition with a healthy balanced diet and moderate exercise. Medications are usually not necessary. Gestational diabetes usually disappears after the baby is born.
  • Aurora22
    Aurora22 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am also 6 wks pregnant and trying to figure out how many calories to eat. to combat the nausea, I need to eat frequently so I am trying to eat less than full meals. it is really hard since our mfb calorie intake is way below the recommended 1800cal maintenance that most women add their 300 calories to. So, I am not sure if it is ok to just add the 300 calories to the 1200 (or 1500 in my case) calories that we were consuming before... I don't want to starve my baby or my body, but I don't want to gain the 50 lbs I did in my last pregnancy.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be on a regimen to lose ANY weight while you're pregnant! This is not to say you should go overboard and literally eat for two, but you need the calories, fat & nutrients to grow that beautiful, healthy baby. Just eat healthily and worry about losing the weight after you have him/her. Good luck:)
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. Now, you need to be healthy for two.

I was a pregnant "fat chick" once. 16 years ago.

I was moderately active. (More than I am now) I had gestational diabetes and was put on "diabetic diet" by my doctor. I looked at the calories listed and I said "Heck, no, this isn't enough food. I was eating more than this and losing weight before I got pregnant."

They gave me "keytone" (not sure of the spelling) strips to pee on. If the test strip indicated was burning too much fat, which isn't good while you are pregnant, then doctor would up my calories. Surprise, surprise, they needed to up my calories.

I was 32, 5'4'. Start weight of 190. Last weight taken while pregnant was 205. Weight taken 2 weeks after I delivered was 193. During my pregnancy all my "back fat" disappeared. I was on 1800 calories at day. 6 small meals. Baby was less than 8 and 1/2 pounds at 41 weeks.

So, yes talk to your doctor. MFP is not meant for pregnant gals.

However, I will recommend highly that you eat loads of good quality calcium sources and lots of leafy greens. Drink lots of water. Whatever the baby needs, it will take from you. I have known more than one woman who "didn't like milk" who ended up with gray teeth. Growing babies will take from you what he or she needed. You need to eat super, super healthy. Every calorie has to come with some goodness to it. You can't afford to eat empty calories no matter how many your doctor recommends

Good luck!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Don't lose weight, but odds are you don't need to gain anything right now for a couple months. And then, remember, it's only gaining .5-1 lbs a week - anything over that is not "baby" weight - it's mom weight :)

PS, for me, fried rice was the only thing I could eat when nauseated. I know it'd different for everyone, but if you're looking for ideas!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am also 6 wks pregnant and trying to figure out how many calories to eat. to combat the nausea, I need to eat frequently so I am trying to eat less than full meals. it is really hard since our mfb calorie intake is way below the recommended 1800cal maintenance that most women add their 300 calories to. So, I am not sure if it is ok to just add the 300 calories to the 1200 (or 1500 in my case) calories that we were consuming before... I don't want to starve my baby or my body, but I don't want to gain the 50 lbs I did in my last pregnancy.

CONGRADS :)
  • Keri_girl
    Keri_girl Posts: 44
    Options
    Ok I know that this is an old post but I want to thank everyone for the information! I am currently working with my doctor to get pregnant and this was something that I was curious about since I'm down almost 10lbs. I have a bit more to lose to get to a healthy pre-pregnancy weight but it never hurts to have information!