Replies

• judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Eating 1642, I log my workouts but don't eat back, as my activity is already factored in to my intake.
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    This STILL confuses the HECK out of me. I set my goals to lose 1 pound a week and put that I am lightly active, as I am a teacher. I am working out 3-5 times a week and burning 250-300 cals per workout, per my HRM. MFP set my calories at 1390. So, do I NET 1390 or have 1390 as my food intake?
  • cathleen73
    cathleen73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you eat 1390. if you exercise and log it, it says you can eat more calories. up to you if you do or not. i'm a big girl, so it gives me lots of calories. i try not to go over and ideally end each day with 200 ish but i do log my workouts. so far about 58 days in, i'm down 14.7 pounds.
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    you eat 1390. if you exercise and log it, it says you can eat more calories. up to you if you do or not. i'm a big girl, so it gives me lots of calories. i try not to go over and ideally end each day with 200 ish but i do log my workouts. so far about 58 days in, i'm down 14.7 pounds.

You end each day with 200 ish? As in left over from your calorie goal after exercise? I still don't understand if I should NET 1390 or eat 1390. I'm sorry I sound like such an idiot. This just totally baffles me...:ohwell:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    This STILL confuses the HECK out of me. I set my goals to lose 1 pound a week and put that I am lightly active, as I am a teacher. I am working out 3-5 times a week and burning 250-300 cals per workout, per my HRM. MFP set my calories at 1390. So, do I NET 1390 or have 1390 as my food intake?

You net 1390 unless that's your total energy expenditure, including exercise. It may help if you don't think of the exercise calories as "extra." Either they're taken into account when your your base calorie budget is calculated or they're left out of the math at that point and then added separately later. Either way, they count.
  • LaceyAnderson
    LaceyAnderson Posts: 17 Member
    Options

You end each day with 200 ish? As in left over from your calorie goal after exercise? I still don't understand if I should NET 1390 or eat 1390. I'm sorry I sound like such an idiot. This just totally baffles me...:ohwell:

You need to net 1390. If you exercise, it's like earning bonus calories so you can eat more. Some people don't eat those extra calories so they can lose weight more quickly by creating an even bigger deficit than the one calculated by MFP.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u need to log exercise
    and u need to eat more than 1200 cals unles su are 120 ounds
  • cathleen73
    cathleen73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    the 1390 is saying based on the information you entered and your activity level to lose the amount of weight per week you said you wanted to, eat 1390.

that's assuming no extra exercise past your normal activity level.

if you exercise more, it'll now say you can eat more.

for instance let's say my calorie goal per day is 2000. I can eat up to that calories per day and ideally lose the weight i said i wanted to lose. if i work out for 20 minutes and burn an extra 150 calories..i can eat 150 more and basically keep things the same..
    so you start with 2000 calories + 150 calories earned by exercise=2150 you could eat and still achieve your goals. now if you don't eat the extra 150 and just eat the 2000, you'd just be losing weight faster. bc you worked out 150 more than you had to to lose weight. up to you if you want to eat them or lose faster. I try not to eat all the calories i'm able to bc I like losing faster.. the goal i put in was 1/2 pound a week, but i've been losing closer to 1 pound a week bc i'm not eating quite all my calories.

you don't want to eat too few, bc you don't want to slow down your metabolism or starve yourself so that you end up throwing off your diet.

i first focused on eating the right amount of calories per day..now i'm working on making the calories be from the right categories. I try to eat lower fat than the recommended and more protein and keep carbs about the same. I'm never starving. I still eat the foods I enjoy. I just have to eat less of them. If know i'm going out somewhere where I'll eat more, I can work out more to earn more calories.