slow cooker oatmeal

Options
charlesnapolitano
charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
throw 2 sliced apples, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon in the bottom of the crock pot.
Pour 2 cups of oatmeal and 4 cups of water on top.
Do NOT stir.
Cook overnight for 8 – 9 hours on low.

Replies

• Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    steelcut? sounds good i am gonna try tonight, i hope
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Yes, must be steelcut (or your own cut groats if you like that sort of thing). This is hands down the best way to make steel cut oats.

Here's a trick: put the ingredients in a bowl, then set the bowl into your slow cooker and pour in water around it up to the water level in the bowl (like a bain marie). Now you only have to clean the bowl. :D
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    well i did make this we will see how it turns out tomorrow since it was old fashioned and not steel cut
  • NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would like to know how that comes out with old fashion oats...
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump Thanks for sharing
  • LisaDec1969
    LisaDec1969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    throw 2 sliced apples, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon in the bottom of the crock pot.
    Pour 2 cups of oatmeal and 4 cups of water on top.
    Do NOT stir.
    Cook overnight for 8 – 9 hours on low.

Gonna try tonight thanks
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump, sounds easy and good
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • rcftta
    rcftta Posts: 4
    Options
    sounds yummy...any one ever try to double it?
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy bump thanks for sharing
  • daxnine
    daxnine Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    made this tonight. it was done and sticking to the pot after 3 hours on low. cant imagine what wouldve happened if it had gone the whole 8. maybe some crock pots cook faster than others??
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oats will be done in 3-4 hours with this method. Steelcut come out perfectly in 8 hours on low.
  • mschipper
    mschipper Posts: 8
    Options
    I have steelcut oats in the rice cooker. 1 cup oats, 2 cups water, 2 cups skim milk makes 4 serves. Set and forget, takes about 30 mins or so, Just watch for boil overs. :)

I put the oats in containers in the fridge and take them to work then add a teaspoon of almond paste/butter, a little honey and half a banana. Tastes awesome.
  • Kylwalton
    Kylwalton Posts: 8
    Options
    Or, the night before, bring the steel cut oats to a boil for 2-3 minutes, then cut stove off, and cover. The oats will be ready the next morning. Just heat them back up. A lot easier!
  • CooperBaker
    CooperBaker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Have you figured out how many servings and nutritional info on each serving? Thank you!
  • hlinkous83
    hlinkous83 Posts: 30
    Options
    Does anyone know how many servings this makes? I am trying to figure out the nutriton facts per serving. Thanks
  • daxnine
    daxnine Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    my oats were steel cut, and 3 hours was plenty of time. not sure why it's so different for some people unless crock pots really do cook at different speeds.

as for the nutrition info:

8 servings (mine came out to about 175 grams each), per serving-

calories 219
    carbs 42
    fat 3
    protein 7
    sodium 1
    fiber 6