Healthy Snacks....I'm stumped!

Options
I'm looking for ideas on low fat (or at least gooood fat) and high protein snacks! Any ideas?? I'm not a picky person, and I'm willing to try pretty much anything once...lol. Thanks! =)

Replies

• blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Luna bars are GREAT! :) Try peanut butter cookie! or Oatmeal raisons! oh or nutz over chocolate! lol
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    hard boiled egg
    veggies wrapped in deli turkey ot ham
    peanut butter with apple
    black or red bean salad
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    This was posted by someone else on MFP a few weeks ago. I saved it and have tried many. Not on here - but I love Hummus with carrots and zucchini (raw of course).

http://www.shape.com/healthy_eating/on_the_go/snacks/low_calorie_snacks/p/page/1
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My new thing is Greek yogurt. I like it way better then regular yogurt and it has anywhere from 10-18 grams of protein depending on the size and flavor. It is a little more expensive, but so worth it.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    yogurt is a good snack, most people dont realize that it has a good amount of protein. also protein bars, protein shakes, turkey rolled up around an apple or pickle, string cheese, nuts, trail mix, hummus with carrots or pita chips
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Not super high protein but still good for you.

ROASTED GARBANZO BEANS~ yum! Toss with a tsp of olive oile and sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook at 400 for about 15 minutes.
  • mspnst8
    mspnst8 Posts: 9
    Options
    Here is what I like...

hard boiled eggs (no yolk), yoplait delights (found in yogurt section), strawberries, bagels (regular size are rather large and lots of calories but if you try the minis they are a good snack), yoplait fiber one yogurts, EAS Advantedge shakes, yogurts (light and fat free), grapes (not a good source of protein but no fat), and raisins (again not a good source of protein but no fat and helps with that sweet tooth)...oh yeh, bananas are in the same bucket. :smile: Good luck!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Not super high protein but still good for you.

ROASTED GARBANZO BEANS~ yum! Toss with a tsp of olive oile and sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook at 400 for about 15 minutes.

That sounds really good. I think I am going to try your recipe tonight. Thanks!
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds, or any nut really. There are 100 calorie packs available at most gorcery stores...that gets you good fat and some protien. Just make sure they're raw, or only lightly salted, or else you might get into trouble. :)
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    nuts are really good snacks....watch calories and fat but it is really high protein..I make room for them once a day
    pickles
    I snack on veggies
    snack cheese...only like 80 ca and yes there is fat but high in protein.
    popcorn
    I make soups...minestrone, veggie, or tomato much better homemade if you watch you can have a small meal around 200 ca including same crackers
    all of these filling
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    Nuts (try roasting your own: get raw almonds or pecans, spray liberally with cooking spray, and sprinkle liberally with whatever you like--i like salt & sugar, smoked paprika, or Old Bay--then toast at 350 just until they start to smell good)
    Ants on a log (celery with peanut butter and raisins)
    Carrots with peanut butter
    Banana with peanut butter (can you tell I like PB?)
    Dried fruit (dates are great if you're craving sweets; I also like prunes and figs)
    Hard-boiled egg (try mashing it with 1 T light mayo and a little brown mustard, and eat with a few Triscuits)
    Cinnamon toast is one that I like when I'm in the mood for pastry for dessert (use whole wheat bread, go easy on the butter, and make sure your cinnamon-sugar mix is mostly cinnamon)
    Air-popped popcorn with cooking spray and a little salt (and actually, if you believe it, powdered bouillon can be really good on popcorn)
    Frozen grapes
    Sharp cheddar cheese with a crispy apple or pear

Almost anything that isn't processed, artificially flavored, or super high in fat or sugar is good.
  • joanne0325
    joanne0325 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Edamame? I steam them & add a little salt. They are high in protein & fun to eat. I buy them at Trader Joes
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Roasted tomato with basil soup
    3 # roma tomatoes quartered
    a couple hands of fresh basil chopped
    2 stalks of cerery cut up
    i bell pepper cut up
    1/2 onion cut up
    2 tsp dried oregono
    2 tsp dried tyme
    garlic salt to taste
    hot sauce to taste (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees put all ingredients in a pan sprayed with cooking spray bake for 25-30. let cool a few minutes then put it all in a blender until smooth. put in a pot on top of stove heat until start to boil.

only like 150 ca
    I like to have with a toasted provolone sandwich
  • ecgravatt
    ecgravatt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is one of my favorite snacks. Its very low in fat and very thick and very high in protein. I would recommend buying plain and then adding fresh fruit to it yourself as there will be less added sugars.

Its excellent with strawberries, blackberries, and I also like to thaw frozen blueberries (no sugar added, read the ingredient list and make sure the only ingredient listed is blueberries) in the microwave and add them.

Oatmeal is also a great snack, and I enjoy it plain and then add vanilla soy protein powder, although whey protein powder will work fine too.

Beans are an excellent source of protein, if you wanted to make your own bean dip that would be a great high protein high fiber lowfat snack. I also love to make white bean dip, which is especially excellent on raw veggies. I use a recipe from Giada de Laurentis, slightly modified:

1 can low sodium white (also called cannelini) beans, rinsed and drained (removes excess salt)
    2 cloves garlic
    2TBL fresh lemon juice
    1/4 Cup good olive oil
    1/4 Cup loosely packed fresh flat leaf italian parsley

put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. salt and pepper to taste.

You can also use fresh rosemary, and this is also a great spread for sandwiches as well.
  • greenteadaily
    Options
    Wow, some great ideas on here.

I have peanut butter with bananas, as well as apples.

I find I am often craving texture as much as taste, so...

Crunchy/salty:
    When I was on this 'ride' before, I always had soy crisps. They're like rice crisps, but the soy gave them the protein to make them more filling etc. I'm having trouble finding the brand I like now. I'm going to have to go on a quest.

Crunchy/sweet:
    Kashi Honey Sunshine. It's like a MUCH less sweet Captain Crunch. I often take a little bag (half of what they say is a serving) in my lunch for that craving part of the day. I eat it dry, from the bag.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    When I am really craving a salty snack (i.e. PMS) I eat Veggie Straws or Pirate's Booty - you can eat a decent amount for 100 calories and it totally kills the craving and I don't feel horrible about myself.

When I am craving a sweet snack (i.e. PMS) LOL I will melt a couple Dove Promises dark chocolate squares in the micro and dip a few strawberries in there, let harden in fridge for about 30 minutes and wala! chocolate covered strawberries! YUM! And again, no guilt and 100 calories.
  • Cathy_5011
    Cathy_5011 Posts: 78
    Options
    I love having yogurt or fruit. Especially bananas I think they are really filling.