Anyone have a good HUMMUS recipe?

Options
jennpv
jennpv Posts: 33 Member
I LOVE hummus and have been buying Tribe Roasted Garlic Hummus. I would love to make some myself. Anyone have a good receipe? Thanks!

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    MAKES 3 CUPS
    Ingredients
    2 cans (16 ounces each) reduced-sodium garbanzos, rinsed and drained except for 1/4 cup liquid
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
    2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley

Directions
    In a blender or food processor, add the garbanzos. Process to puree. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, paprika, tahini and parsley. Blend well. Add the reserved liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture has the consistency of a thick spread. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Nutritional Analysis(per serving) Serving size: 2 tablespoons
    Calories 48 Cholesterol 0 mg
    Protein 2 g Sodium 106 mg
    Carbohydrate 6 g Fiber 2 g
    Total fat 2 g Potassium 15 mg
    Saturated fat < 1 g Calcium 15 mg
    Monounsaturated fat 1 g
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    for extra protein i add a cup of small curd fat free cottage cheese to my canned chickpeas (sometimes i use pinto beans/black eyed peas)
    add red pepper flakes, parsley, lemon juice, black pepper, 1 teaspoon olive oil OR 1 tablespoon of tahini. (when i add tahini.. it already adds the oil... so no need for olive oil) and 1 or 2 minced garlic cloves. (if the oven is on for any reason.. ill roast them before i mince them)

blend it allll together =]

YUM!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    This one doesn't have tahini, I always forget to buy it, but simply add to my recipe

3-4 cloves garlic, peeled. Put into pouch of tin foil with a drizzle of good quality olive oil and a pinch of salt, close pouch. Roast in oven 375 until soft (really good when there's some brown too)
    1 can garbanzo beans rinched and drained
    tumeric to taste
    curry powder to taste
    salt to taste
    good quality olive oil
    fresh parsley
    fresh lemon juice

Blend until smooth. I honestly don't remember how much of the spices, but everyone has a different palate! I put in and the olive oil amount always seems to be diff. I do also add water sometimes to help smooth it out.
  • futballuvr73
    futballuvr73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I will cook a pound of chickpeas and freeze them for quick use. A friend of mine posted this on Facebook a few months ago and I just happened to have the edamame in the freezer too! It's delish and super easy to make-

Katelyn's Edamame Chickpea Hummus
    1 cup shelled edamame
    1/2 cup chickpeas (you can used VERY well rinsed canned, but I soaked and cooked my own)
    1/4 cup tahini
    1/4 cup water
    3 Tbs lemon juice
    1-2 cloves of garlic, smashed
    1/2-3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    3 Tbs EVOO

In a food processor, combine all ingredients except EVOO. Puree until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in oil until well mixed.

I usually use 2 extra TBSP water and 2TBSP less oil. This is also insanely yummy (and pretty!) if you add in 1/4cup roasted red pepper to the food processor. We will sometimes mix in some crumbled feta and then warm this before eating...
  • greenteadaily
    Options
    All these great hummus recipes...DH may get his wish for a food processor sooner than later. But I'll start with making it in the blender. Thanks for all the ideas for additions.