How Accurate do you Think FitBits are?

Options

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Well, you have an hour left, so that would burn a few calories, even if you are just sleeping. If you had done 30DS you would have burned at least 100 calories. So, if you had done 30DS your fitbit would probably read 2133-2183 at this point in the day. This is pretty close to the 2219 you estimated as your TDEE. I would wear it for a week or so and reassess.
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options

My experience is that the FB is really accurate once you get a good understanding of what it can and can't do - and how to use it ... this is reflected in the article above and previously posted. Worth a read!!
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Thank you for this link, it has answered so many questions that I have had over these things! I have googled so many times my questions and this is the first thing I have come across that actually helps! Good to know that my calorie burn on the Jawbone Up is probably a little lower than it should be!
  • Tendlr
    Tendlr Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Had a busier day than I usually have on the weekends with lots of walking so will be hitting 10,000 steps today and going to be above the calories goal that fitbit wants me to hit (2184). However this is definitely not typical of my weekends (which are generally spent lazing around for most of the day).
    I did actually show a big loss on the scale this morning, hoping it sticks around!
    Gonna see what my cals average out to over a week on the fitbit and go from there.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JoQuinn523
    JoQuinn523 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    JUST GOT THE FITBIT FLEX AND I LOVE IT!!!! IT ABSOLUTELY IS MORE ACCURATE THAN JUST LOGGING WHAT I DO ONTO MFP - I CAN ABSOLUTELY SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN DAYS I SLACK AND DAYS THAT I REALLY WORK OUT:wink:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    The nerd in me wanted the flex so I got it. I worked out with it and my polar today an my polar gave me +28 calories for weight traing than Flex. Is it a big deal to me? Not really. I think the fitbit comes close but I wouldn't obsess over accuracy.

It does motivate me to move more on rest days :smile:
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Mine seems legit.
  • JoQuinn523
    JoQuinn523 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The nerd in me wanted the flex so I got it. I worked out with it and my polar today an my polar gave me +28 calories for weight traing than Flex. Is it a big deal to me? Not really. I think the fitbit comes close but I wouldn't obsess over accuracy.

It does motivate me to move more on rest days :smile:

I absolutely agree - I work harder to get in my daily goals and I compete against my husband =)
  • jme6976
    jme6976 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't have fitbit but have the bodymedia fit core and I'd say its pretty accurate. I have used for about 1.5 months so far and my weight loss has really sped up since using it (12 lbs since getting it.) It claims 90% accuracy. I love it.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Fit bit but I'd reduce my cal by 100-200 and see what happens next week. Or increase your exercise and stay at 1800.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've have mine for about 6 weeks and I really do think it is quite accurate. Mind you I still log exercise into MFP which the Fitbit picks up and adds to my total. You can look at my diary to see how I'm doing it. I feel like it kind of learned from me over time so maybe in the beginning it wasn't quite as accurate as a few weeks in.

I have heard from a couple of friends in maintenance that it isn't as good for that but I am doubtful. I love mine and I plan to keep checking how accurate it is each month.

This first month I had it according to my calorie deficit (calories in versus calories out) I should have lost 5.2 pounds and in actuality I lost 5.4 pounds and that is pretty much spot on in my opinion. I will keep checking it every month though and posting my monthly results on my status updates.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Ok I just did a test.

HRM 3 workouts. Coming into a total of 557 cals

FItbit for the same time.... total of 535 cals. That's not so much of a difference & very pleasing to know.

I did 50 mins of sprints/running, 24 mins of walk at home (I'm kinda sick & was not feeling it today) and 7min of dance walk (once again still not feeling it so that'w when I went outside & did my run/sprints for 50min.

Now for all of that, and I'd done nothing else all day..... the calories were almost spot on. Even picked up the distance correctly (I know that running for 50min for me is 10km)
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would say very accurate for TDEE. Mine will be anywhere from 1800-2400 depending on my activity.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra and I'm finding the total calorie burn pretty accurate. I generally eat about what the fitbit says I burn and I've maintained the same weight for four months. That is proof in the pudding.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Glad to know people are finding it accurate. I'm gonna track my cals for a couple weeks and see what I average and see if I need to adjust my food calories. Anyone figured out how to 'delete' the steps and stairs it thinks you take while driving?
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I find them to be very minimal so I don't worry too much about them. But if it were an excessive amount I would try to delete.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later