Advice for Binge Eating

Options
I've always had problems binge eating. I weighed 310 lbs. at my heaviest, and and got down to 165 at my lowest. This morning I was at about 178 lbs. I've taken up running and was feeling pretty good about myself, but I just went on a huge binge eating spree. I do it all the time. I'll do really well all week, and then I'll binge about 5000 calories in one day, and it'll take me all week to lose it again. Why do I do this? If anyone has any advice to help me stop binge eating, I would be so grateful. Is there anyone I can go talk to, like a psychologist, to stop this? I really don't want to gain all of the weight back, but I've slowly been gaining weight for the past two months! I used to have so much will power, but now I feel like I'll never be able to get back to the really determined woman I used to be.

Replies

• boneist
    boneist Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether this is due to actual physical effect or whether it's psychosomatic, but I managed to break my carb-craving cycle (which is what I think drove me to binge for pretty much most of my life) when I started switching to protein based snacks (such as sweet chilli chicken pieces, etc) under the basis that protein makes you feel fuller for longer.

Like I said, it could all be in my head, but I no longer feel the need to binge (sometimes I still want to, but it's not an all-out craving, thankfully!). Also, I don't restrict myself too rigidly - if I want to eat something that means I'll go over my calories, I will, and I just accept the hit that sometimes (but, strangely enough, not always!) comes with it. Or else I'll plan to eat less so that I can fit that bit of chocolate in or whatever.

Good luck - I hope you find something that helps you break the cycle.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private, so I cannot confirm, but I would bet that you are not eating enough on a normal basis.

The usual reason for binging is that you are consuming too few calories per day and/or you are following and absurd low fat/carb diet, causing your body to want to overcompensate.
  • bgraz1994
    bgraz1994 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am in recovery of an eating disorder, so I know how frustrating uncontrollable binges can be!

Make sure you are eating enough, you should be eating every couple of hours. At the height of my disorder I would starve for up to a week which then led to having a massive binge. Now that I am eating every few hours, I have been binge free since the end of April!

Hope this helps! And good luck :)
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I binge at night when i feel too full....i hate feeling full at night even if i didnt go over my calories if i feel full ill be like f** this im gunna be fat forever anyways . Ik this is crazy but its how it is for me :ohwell:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah man, I think you should talk to a psychologist...perhaps you are afraid you will work really hard, and not reach your goals, so you sabbotage your plan on purpose so you have a reason why you failed? I don't know man.
    I try to eat clean the entire week...today I reached a new personal low, and I celebrated by not logging calories and pigging out. i usually don't log calories on sundays, but I still try to eat in moderation...today i pigged out like there was no tommorrow...But I plan for it, and it gives me something to look forward to, and it makes eating turkey sandwiches on whole grain bread during the week more tolerable. Good luck on your journey.
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options
    Why do you do it? Because it's a compulsion. Binge eating disorder is in the DSM for a reason, it's a valid psychological disorder. I've had BED since I was 9 years old. I'm currently making the first real effort to stop it.

When you binge, is it because you're hungry? I'm guessing not. Usually it's not. It can be due to boredom, stress, etc. Other people are suggesting you're not eating enough during the day, but that might not be true (although you should be sure you are, obviously!) If you're binging due to other reasons, you need to find things to distract yourself with. Take up a hobby. Write, play an instrument, call a friend. Find something you can do INSTEAD of eating.

As it is a disorder, I would definitely recommend therapy if you can afford it. There are tons of therapists who specialize in eating disorders, and binge eating disorder is just as valid as something like anorexia or bulimia. I would also recommend something like DBT (which is a sort of therapy) and even some antidepressants can curb the urge.

If you find that there's a certain time of day that you binge, try to set aside some calories as a 'just in case' for it. For example, I know I'm more likely to binge at night, so I try not to use all of my calories during the day, because that way I can still eat something, satisfy the urge to snack without going overboard.

I hope any of this helps :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You might look for a therapist or see if your area has a local chapter of Overeaters Anonymous. Make sure your daily calorie goal isn't too low as others have said.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I completely know what you mean. I will binge (my binges are small but still a binge for me) at night when I'm already full. I definitely have a mild form of compulsive eating disorder.

I also eat a varied diet and almost always get close to around 120 grams of protein. It just doesn't matter. It's something I work on everyday.

I highly recommend the book, Food: The Good Girl's Drug
    I binge at night when i feel too full....i hate feeling full at night even if i didnt go over my calories if i feel full ill be like f** this im gunna be fat forever anyways . Ik this is crazy but its how it is for me :ohwell:
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't keep those binge-worthy foods around.

I leave notes on and in the fridge and cupboards. "Walk away fatty" "Are you hungry or just bored?" "Walk it off" "You have launry to do" etc...
  • Bonny619
    Options
    Excellent post. I think it needs to be highlighted that it usually ISN'T because one isn't getting enough calories or protein or some other lack of nutrition.
    Why do you do it? Because it's a compulsion. Binge eating disorder is in the DSM for a reason, it's a valid psychological disorder. I've had BED since I was 9 years old. I'm currently making the first real effort to stop it.

When you binge, is it because you're hungry? I'm guessing not. Usually it's not. It can be due to boredom, stress, etc. Other people are suggesting you're not eating enough during the day, but that might not be true (although you should be sure you are, obviously!) If you're binging due to other reasons, you need to find things to distract yourself with. Take up a hobby. Write, play an instrument, call a friend. Find something you can do INSTEAD of eating.

As it is a disorder, I would definitely recommend therapy if you can afford it. There are tons of therapists who specialize in eating disorders, and binge eating disorder is just as valid as something like anorexia or bulimia. I would also recommend something like DBT (which is a sort of therapy) and even some antidepressants can curb the urge.

If you find that there's a certain time of day that you binge, try to set aside some calories as a 'just in case' for it. For example, I know I'm more likely to binge at night, so I try not to use all of my calories during the day, because that way I can still eat something, satisfy the urge to snack without going overboard.

I hope any of this helps :)
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    been there, ate that! read my profile for more details, but i know where u are coming from, and ive been getting better each month. the best advice i can give is TRACK THE BINGE AS ITS HAPPENING. put food in your mout- log it right then and there. sometimes just seeing how fast the calories are adding up is a good motivation to stop.

whenever i binged, i found that it was typically on useless carbs that never filled me. the other night, in a world of stress after a pretty horrible week, it was 9pm and i stared at a box of cereal, wanting to pour a giant bowl that would have been a waste of about 500 calories, and knew i wouldnt even be full. i literally stared at the box for 2-3 minutes, put it away, and grabbed a protein bar and a large glass of water. done. healthier and only 190 cals- and filling. i consider that a major victory.

PM me if u need to talk more. i know what u are going thru.
  • marydhastings
    marydhastings Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to stop and consider WHY you're eating.
    If you're depriving yourself of cravings all week you could just be giving into all those cravings in one day.
    Heres some tips for you
    1. Before you eat drink a tall glass of water
    2. While you're eating, keep this in mind; "am I still hungry? or just eating?"
    3. Stop yourself from eating after the initial meal, by doing something to take your mind off it.
    4. Treat yourself to something SMALL. Like a small piece of dark chocolate, etc. something you've been craving,no more than once a week.

Binge eating happens, but definitely shouldn't happen every week.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ^^ just trying to eat something small can be dangerous to a binge eater. if other have experienced what i have felt- they will agree, u dont even feel like yourself when its happening. when i feel in control, which is the majority of the time, i can have a serving of something and be fine. those occasional binge moments- i need to learn to step away from the food completely, or learn to eat one filling thing and walk away. a little indulgence can easily spiral out of control when that binge monster hits
  • Bonny619
    Options
    Absolutely. It's very easy for a non compulsive eater to say, "Just have a small piece"

I wish it worked that way. I have to keep trigger foods OUT of my house.
    ^^ just trying to eat something small can be dangerous to a binge eater. if other have experienced what i have felt- they will agree, u dont even feel like yourself when its happening. when i feel in control, which is the majority of the time, i can have a serving of something and be fine. those occasional binge moments- i need to learn to step away from the food completely, or learn to eat one filling thing and walk away. a little indulgence can easily spiral out of control when that binge monster hits
  • Bonny619
    Options
    As I lost weight my trigger foods changed...it slowly turned into my husband's Clif bars or small peanut butter single packs (he's a runner) so he now keeps them in the trunk of his car for me.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    *IF* you only binge eat when you are bored... then you can try Chia seeds. They help me! Google them. They arent regular seeds.. as i have crohns disease & shouldnt eat regular seeds! These turn into a gel when they sit in water! They have tons of anti oxidents, omega fatty acids, vitamins, etc they are SUPER good for you and they help keep you full for a really long time. They work WONDERS for me and really give me a FULL feeling, so even when i KNOW im full... i can drink a fruit smoothie or eat a salad with the seeds in it.. and i get super full to the point that i dont want anything else... and it lasts a LONG time!

They are just at 120ish calories for 2 tablespoons (a serving) and IMO are worth it for binge eating. Some may agree or disagree, but they are perfectly healthy enough to consume daily... even though i dont binge eat daily, they help me to stay within my calorie intake anyway!

Just a suggestion, and i wouldnt advise you to use these if you are having any issues with normally eating below your calorie intake, or if you have any signs of an eating disorder. I dont know the full situation at all, but just specifially for binge eating, i suggest those. Good luck to you! =) You can get them on Amazon or at a health food store.
  • vickydubuis
    vickydubuis Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My sister helped me by telling me that every time i feel like binging at night, I have to remind myself that "THE FOOD WILL BE THERE IN THE MORNING".
    Obviously, if the binging is seriously emotion-related, it may not work, but it has definitely helped me at times when I want second helpings or peanut butter right before bed.
    So remember.

IT WILL BE THERE IN THE MORNING!
  • Bonny619
    Options
    That's actually good advice. Something about that can work with a "binging mind" sometimes we feel like we have to eat all the food! I will often be eating a meal thinking about the next meal. So it definitely goes back to what you said. I'm not running out of food!
    My sister helped me by telling me that every time i feel like binging at night, I have to remind myself that "THE FOOD WILL BE THERE IN THE MORNING".
    Obviously, if the binging is seriously emotion-related, it may not work, but it has definitely helped me at times when I want second helpings or peanut butter right before bed.
    So remember.

IT WILL BE THERE IN THE MORNING!
  • marydhastings
    marydhastings Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I meant eating a small piece of a craving on days that you're not feeling like your going to binge. (if that makes sense)
    I know when I binge it's because I spend all week craving something until I finally give in.
    If you eat a small piece of whatever you're craving instead of letting it build, it tends to subside easily
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble dealing with it, maybe you should see a psychologist. You should be able to find one that specializes in weight issues. You certainly don't want to gain back all the weight that you've worked so hard to lose. I think a lot of us eat poorly due to emotions -- I binge when I get angry -- it's like I'm punishing myself. I overeat when I get bored. There's a difference between binging and overeating.

Hope you get back on track. :flowerforyou: