OUNCES?

Options
ecgravatt
ecgravatt Posts: 18 Member
Why are almost none of the foods listed in ounces? I have a food scale that I use to weight out portion sizes (I used to use a different online food journal but thought this one might be better since there is an iPhone app......) and they had a MILLION different serving sizes for every item, cups, ounces, tablespoons, one cherry, etc.

Am I being neurotic?

Replies

• chelseablue13
    chelseablue13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I hate it when the food is measured in cups. How big is the cup? Not something we use in the UK!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Most items are entered by users, therefore the only serving sizes are what they typed in. You can look online for measurement conversion tools.
  • pchristie
    pchristie Posts: 38
    Options
    I have noticed that some of the foods are listed metric, but I think that may be partly because there are a lot of members from other parts of the world, and they use metric. I think that a lot of the food is added by members, and they just put in the serving size as it's listed on the package. If the package is purchased in Europe, then it's probably metric. Just a guess. What you could do, and what I have done is add your own food to the list. It doesn't take that long and once you add it in the quantity you want, it will always be there.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I hate it when the food is measured in cups. How big is the cup? Not something we use in the UK!

A cup is about 250 mls (I believe 240)
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on who entered the food. A lot of things are in ounces, and I always look for those, both because it is simpler than doing the conversion, and also because I figure if it is in grams it was entered by someone outside the US and it is always possible that a different recipe is being used by the manufacturer. After you've been on here for awhile, all of the foods you eat are on your page and you seldom have to search for other things.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    What MFP should do is offer cups, floz, ml, mg, etc on entry and then when adding consumed foods, do the translation.

Eg, I just had to work out that a 500ml bottle of beer was 0.87 pints. It shouldn't be necessary.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Especially after having .87 pints of beer :-)
  • ecgravatt
    ecgravatt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the beer guy. I know alot of the data is user entered, which is actually pretty great to be able to search for things and not have to enter them myself BUT! MFP should offer the option to add meals in ounces. And there should also be quantities for things like nuts, berries, etc.