It's not all about cardio.

Options
SoDamnHungry
SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
Last year, I needed to lose about ten pounds to look good in my cosplay. So I ran, and I ran, and I ran. And I biked and biked. And I lost the weight. And I looked pretty good, although there could be improvement. And then I gained it back because I just kind of wanted to eat everything after my ex and I broke up. So it was time to lose it again.

I ran, I biked. But I added in 30 Day Shred which combined strength and cardio, and added a bit of dead lifting, too. I lost the weight, and today, I weighed the same as I did at my "goal weight" last year. So proud! But then I tried on my costume. The shorts were loose! I weighed the same, but by doing a combination of cardio and strength, managed to lose fat and gain some muscle! This is the best I've looked in my entire life!

So the two lessons I've learned this year: The scale can be helpful yet deceiving. And while cardio is great, don't be afraid to strength train and lift! All it did was make me look better!

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    u go girl! and i agree about the lifting!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!

Lifting was the secret sauce for me as well. Cardio left me "skinny fat" which went away with strength training and eating more.

Too many women are afraid of looking bulky or too muscular. I wish they'd realize that they'd just lose fat and tighten themselves up while looking all lean and fierce!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    wow -
    i thought strength training didnt help u lose weight but after reading this and some googling i was wrong
    thhanks for the post and way to go on your weight loss
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Agreed
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

Alot of women discover that strength training immensely helps them with stubborn inches and definition in their shoulders/arms/legs/abs/back. I'm glad you realized this and have incorporated it into your exercise routines.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    IN for stories about women that have figured out that strength training gives great results! Always good to hear these.

So ummm......where can we see the cosplay pics?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yay! Strength training is great for my body too!! And it's fun!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Yay! I think this is so important for women to learn!
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with strength training helping out. But I am one of the women who does have to be careful about buffing up. I always do my cardio and strength/ resistance training each workout but from experience if I do much on my legs my already manly legs turn into beefy manly legs. LOL! But as long as you know your body and work it the way it needs to be worked weights can definitly kick you up to the next level.
  • PaliDNAnge
    PaliDNAnge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I think I've lost body fat faster because I'm doing some strength training. And about 8 years ago I was the weight I am now, but now my figure looks way better because of the strength training. It's helping sculpt and tone my muscles and get rid of body fat. Woohoo!!!
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I incorporate as much strength training as I can. I too have learned that though cardio will help cut the fat percentage it will not always give the desired lifted and full fit look.

I too would like to see the COSPlay outfit, I love that stuff! I would go if I had the time and a babysitter...:(
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Serena, perhaps if you show us your cosplay pics first, the OP will feel comfortable sharing hers. Is not guaranteed, but it's a chance I'm willing to take. So watcha got?
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great on it!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I incorporate as much strength training as I can. I too have learned that though cardio will help cut the fat percentage it will not always give the desired lifted and full fit look.

I too would like to see the COSPlay outfit, I love that stuff! I would go if I had the time and a babysitter...:(

I think you could pull off any cosplay outfit!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!