Losing Motivation

Options
So I started using this site a little over 2 months ago... and I've lost 12 lbs. Right now I'm at the point where I feel like wow I've done so good so far, but now I'm not going anywhere just staying at the same weight. I need to lose 8 more lbs... I just am not motivated anymore. :huh:

Replies

• finkkm
    finkkm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So I started using this site a little over 2 months ago... and I've lost 12 lbs. Right now I'm at the point where I feel like wow I've done so good so far, but now I'm not going anywhere just staying at the same weight. I need to lose 8 more lbs... I just am not motivated anymore. :huh:
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I keep hitting these points. Seems like I stop losing, then when I look at a 30 day progress report, I find I've lost 9 pounds in the last month. Sometimes it just seems like I've hit a plateau when I haven't.

Maybe that's not the case for you, though. I would say, just don't give up. Recalculate your caloric requirements. You may find they have lowered with your body weight and you need to adjust what you are eating once more. For me it's like 15 - 30 cal per pound. If you dropped 12 pounds and have not recalculated, that might mean 180 to 360 less calories you should be eating per day.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Are you losing motivation to eat well or are you losing the motivation to exercise. Both should be addressed differently. If it is exercise, maybe it is time for a new type of exercise or maybe a new dvd or just change your routine a bit. If it is food, is it because you feel like you eat the same stuff everyday? Thats what I have for problems when it comes to motivation. I look for new recipes, I go online and talk to people who are doing the same thing. See what they have tried. Is it just the Christmas season that is doing it? Is it a time crunch kind of thing? I'm slowing down alittle because of that and I can feel it and now I'm looking for ways to keep going. Find a new hobby that has exercising in it. I am snowshoeing for the first time ever because we have snow and it gets me out. Please don't give up, you have worked so hard to lose what you have and if you need a break give yourself one but don't give up, we know you can do this. Just think it through and find out what it is that you are not motivated about and try to fix it. Or tell us more info and we'll give you feedback.
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    I keep hitting these points. Seems like I stop losing, then when I look at a 30 day progress report, I find I've lost 9 pounds in the last month. Sometimes it just seems like I've hit a plateau when I haven't.

The same thing happens to me. I don't see any weekly progress and then when I check 30 days I find that I've lost more than enough to make me feel confident. I did change up my exercise a little to see if it makes any difference.
  • borade106
    borade106 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! was it more diet than exercise or more exercise and diet.? I just started 1/2wks ago and lost 2lbs. My goal is 5lbs per month so I am within range about a pound a week, but my diet sucks! I was just wondering how you were able to lose that much weight? Oh and interesting recipes, I getting kinda tired of salad/chicken for lunch:smile:
  • Highsmith
    Options
    Get creative and find ways to motivate yourself. The last 10 lbs is the hardest to lose. Maybe try a new exercise program and maybe focus on losing body fat. Just try to change your course a little to keep it interesting because it really does take time. I have to lose about 20 more lbs and I know that it will be a while before I get there. The slower the better because my focus is to change my lifestyle so that this time it will be forever. I have lost 10 lbs since Oct 07. "Really slow but I feel great!!!" Keep on moving you’re close to the finish line
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Wow! was it more diet than exercise or more exercise and diet.? I just started 1/2wks ago and lost 2lbs. My goal is 5lbs per month so I am within range about a pound a week, but my diet sucks! I was just wondering how you were able to lose that much weight? Oh and interesting recipes, I getting kinda tired of salad/chicken for lunch:smile:

If your diet sucks, change it. That's the wonder of this site. I think the 5 lbs a month is a good goal, and you shouldn't go looking for diets where you lose more (generally these type of diets are really hard to stick to).

To answer the original post, you must chose a diet that is for life. As trite as that sounds, it is very true. If you want to give up, find another diet you can get excited about. Think about what your feelings are on diet and exercise and find a plan that agrees with that. Are you a die-hard exerciser, but go over on calories? Maybe Bob Greene's diet (personally I think his endorsements are complete bs, but his diet makes sense). Are you a light eater and a reluctant exerciser? Than finding recipes you love that are low calorie might be the key.

I'm fairly passionate about my diet choices. You need to find something you are passionate about.

Good luck and stick to it!
  • finkkm
    finkkm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just kind of mad at myself for losing motivation for a whole week. I'm in Hong Kong and I'm going back to the states in 10 days... so although I'm not going to be able to lose 8 lbs. by the time I head back, I'm going to go for a realistic 2. It's hard to log meals when I travel so much, but maybe it will be easier when I'm back home, and also have friends to hit the gym with. Gym buddies are def. key for me, the time goes much faster then. Thanks for the tips :happy: I guess I'll just have to bump back my goal until Christmas...
    Happy Holidays!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    plateaus suck.....this is a proven way to break through, increase your exercise by 20%. easy math, if you are currently doing 30 minutes a day you need to do 36 minutes at the same intensity! If you are limited on time you need to change your cardio...instead of treadmill do elliptical or bike etc.