Polar FT4 heart rate monitor issues

Options
I got mine for Christmas but the watch keeps not being able to find my heart rate. It only works 75% of the time and then it drops out a few times throughout the workout "Check Heart Rate Monitor" then most of the time 20 seconds later is says "Signal OK" and continues with the workout, sometimes it just wont find it again and I get a reading of 00. I've purchased new batteries for the HRM and the watch, they haven't arrived yet but I hope that's the only problem?

Replies

• arogers98
    arogers98 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Get a Garmin. :-)
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Try getting your strap wetter or using a gel with it... but honestly, I had the same problem with 2 polars! Switched to a Garmin last year...problem solved!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with mine. I returned it, got a new one, and that one seems to work fine.

I think that particular model is more prone to that issue.

btw, a Garmin is great, but not for the same thing as a HRM.
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I got one for christmas and mine was doing the same thing and I called Polar and they sent me a new sensor, no questions asked; didn't have a receipt. When it came in, it still was acting a little funky so I think it may be the chest strap but alas, i lost it when i was packing up my house. I would definitely give them a call though, can't hurt!!!
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and have never had issues...have you contacted the company?
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try getting your strap wetter or using a gel with it... but honestly, I had the same problem with 2 polars! Switched to a Garmin last year...problem solved!

I use a little oil based moisturiser with the water since the problem started (about a month ago). Hasn't really helped, I use a lot of water already and sometimes when it gives me a reading of 00, I take it off and re-wet it, but it still has the water on it from the first time :/
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have this HRM, try the batteries, make sure you have the chest strap secured properly (not too loose) and make sure you wet the straps too. If i don't do this right it doesn't work form me, not worth the shortcut in time. Make sure the chest strap is tight enough I have to adjust this each time I use it, and for swimming it needs to be even tighter and not too over to the left.

Hope this helps.
  • rheelizabeth
    Options
    I got one for christmas and mine was doing the same thing and I called Polar and they sent me a new sensor, no questions asked; didn't have a receipt. When it came in, it still was acting a little funky so I think it may be the chest strap but alas, i lost it when i was packing up my house. I would definitely give them a call though, can't hurt!!!

I'll do that! thanks :)
  • rheelizabeth
    Options
    I have this HRM, try the batteries, make sure you have the chest strap secured properly (not too loose) and make sure you wet the straps too. If i don't do this right it doesn't work form me, not worth the shortcut in time. Make sure the chest strap is tight enough I have to adjust this each time I use it, and for swimming it needs to be even tighter and not too over to the left.

Hope this helps.

Over to the left, why have I never thought of doing that?! I've always had it bang in the middle. Duh, will also try this next time I wear it.

I was worried it was through over-use as I have used it pretty much every day since Christmas day!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    That will be the strap. They are not covered in the warranty either. I had one go on me about 2 days into a new one. Lucky I'd only upgraded from my FT4 to a FT60 so I could still use the strap.

Also hope you been either cleaning the strap (under running water is usually fine) or throwing it in the washing machine once a week. Sweat will kill it after a while.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do you have the Wearlink with the clip on sensor to the strap? If you do you need to unclip it when it is not in use as keeping it clipped will drain the batteries. Check the batteries anyway. Any time mine plays up I wash the strap in the washing machine and if that doesn't work, I change the batteries.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with mine. I returned it, got a new one, and that one seems to work fine.

I think that particular model is more prone to that issue.

btw, a Garmin is great, but not for the same thing as a HRM.

:laugh: Garmin is the brand of HRM.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I now have 3 polars since swapping with my son than buying one and getting one back.I used to have some problems spoke to Polar here on LI and they suggested I gently wash with soap after my runs and put it into the wash with my running gear after a few runs and have had no problems since. I wet it lightly before putting on and it picks up my HR within a few seconds and it gives me readings on some runs over 2 hours with out dropping my HR ever
  • rheelizabeth
    Options
    That will be the strap. They are not covered in the warranty either. I had one go on me about 2 days into a new one. Lucky I'd only upgraded from my FT4 to a FT60 so I could still use the strap.

Also hope you been either cleaning the strap (under running water is usually fine) or throwing it in the washing machine once a week. Sweat will kill it after a while.

I rinse it before using it, but I've never put it in a washing machine, great advice, thank you :)
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Make sure your strap is really wet. Or get a polar soft strap as you don't have to wet it, I find it more comfortable as well. Also the oil may be clogging the sensors. I would only use water or a gel. I don't think it should be the battery after 5 months. I've had mine for a year and use it 4-6 days a week and have only had occasional problems recently. Moved it slightly and had to tighten my strap as I've lost weight and it's fine now. Also make sure you disconnect the sensor from the strap when not in use. I've heard it will still be draining battery if not...not sure if that is accurate or not but I heard it somewhere.
  • rheelizabeth
    Options
    Do you have the Wearlink with the clip on sensor to the strap? If you do you need to unclip it when it is not in use as keeping it clipped will drain the batteries. Check the batteries anyway. Any time mine plays up I wash the strap in the washing machine and if that doesn't work, I change the batteries.

Yep that's the one. Will be unclipping it from now often, thank you for the advice!
    Will also be washing it in the machine once a week too. No wonder it's being moody with me!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    only time mine doesn't register well is when I forget to wet it down first. and sometimes in the pool it fritzes out
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I got mine for Christmas but the watch keeps not being able to find my heart rate. It only works 75% of the time and then it drops out a few times throughout the workout "Check Heart Rate Monitor" then most of the time 20 seconds later is says "Signal OK" and continues with the workout, sometimes it just wont find it again and I get a reading of 00. I've purchased new batteries for the HRM and the watch, they haven't arrived yet but I hope that's the only problem?

Changing the batteries should do it. That was my issue (I only had to change them on the HRM, not the watch) and I've had no issues since.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    had the same problem, tightening it up solved it. good luck
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

What she said about wetness or gel. The instructions for wearing it say to take water and put it on the strap so it can make a better "connection" between the monitor and your body. Depending on how dry your skin is, or other oils and lotions it could be preventing good connectivity? Ive noticed that when im completely dry it has dropped in and out and then when i put water on it to make it moist or when sweating there are zero issues.