Bodymedia Fitlink or alternatives?

Options
I came across the fitlink arm band on amazon and fell in love with everything it does.

Is anybody currently using this or the fitbit?

Do they accurately calculate calorie expenditure for the day or is it an estimation?

The bodymedia FAQ page is pretty expansive, while fitbit's site wasn't nearly as extensive.

How comfortable is the strap when worn all day? I have big arms (>17" cold, no flex), would I need to request a special arm band?

I want to pull the trigger, but I'm not a fan of the $7/mo to use it.

Thanks.

Replies

• pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and I really love it. I find the calories burn to be quite accurate based on results and I really love the interface and all the graphs and data you get with your account and the silent alarm is absolutely brilliant. I also have the scale that automagically uploads my weight to a graph so tracking my progress is so so easy.

That said... I really wish I had known about the bodymedia fit armband before I got one because I think I would have spent the extra money for just a bit more reassurance about how many calories I burn because it's so stressful to just not know all the time.

After I"ve had my fitbit for a year, or if I lose it I might get an armband.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use the Bodymedia BodyBugg and I lovelovelove it. It calculates so much information and it's easy to use with my itouch. It is very comfortable, though it took me a while to get used to wearing it when I sleep. I have bigger arms and it was fine after the first day or so. It had that new out of the box stiffness but loosened up after about a day or two of wearing. Now I barely notice it. It also links up with MFP so I can compare calorie deficits every day.
  • jessetmia
    jessetmia Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for you reply pluckabee. It's interesting that you specifically mention the alarm. I completely glanced over it because I didn't think it to be an important feature. Does it really help you wake up more peaceful than a normal alarm. I'm sure I'll miss waking up to NPR, but sometimes it's can be a mini heart attack!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have the Body media core armband. I like it a lot, I don't really notice it much anymore. I find it motivates me to move because I want to see those steps. I also burn many more calories than I thought I did,I have changed my activity level from slightly active to active because of this info. I have fat arms and can use the armband it came with. I also like that it tracks my sleep, very usefull info for me, I eat more when I don't get adequate sleep for extended periods of time, so by seeing that pattern I can make sure to have more local, dense snacks on low sleep days. Good luck
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I just got the Jawbone UP and I really love it. The wristband is very comfortable, and so far I love the data I've gotten. I had to calibrate it a bit for my steps. It calculated 3.7 miles when I'd actually walked 3.43 by GPS, but I have short legs so I expected that.
  • jessetmia
    jessetmia Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I've heard about the jawbone before, so many freaking options. I guess I'll be looking into this over the weekend to buy on Monday. Thanks again!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love my BodyMedia Core and have posted about it in several other threads.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have the BMF and love love love it. It's real time, measured calorie burn. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Ubergeek922
    Ubergeek922 Posts: 10
    Options
    For the fit link, what does the monthly subscription get you? Do you have to subscribe to use it or is it for additional reports and tracking? My only concern at the moment is counting calories burned, is the subscription required for that?
  • SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My reservation with purchasing a body media was that it doesn't have a screen display on it. So do you have to sit at a computer scrreen to look at your progress or pull out your phone if you have a link?
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My reservation with purchasing a body media was that it doesn't have a screen display on it. So do you have to sit at a computer scrreen to look at your progress or pull out your phone if you have a link?
    there's an optional display unit that can clip on yourself or leave in your pocket or purse. I guess i don't notice im looking at it that much because i look at my phone and MFP quit often.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Link - so I can view and upload the data to the website via my smartphone. LOVE IT. The Bodymedia comes with a medium size band. If the medium band is too small, you can email their customer support to see if they can send you a large band. (I did and they sent it to me for free - and received it in about 2-3 days.) :)
  • KimberlyinMN
    Options
    Also, if you have a Costco, they had the Bodymedia Link for $99 and it INCLUDED a 12-month subscription. Or check on eBay - that's where I bought mine new for $90-ish and it came with a 6-month subscription. (I found out about the Costco deal after I bought the one on eBay - but.... I don't have a Costco membership anyhow.)
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and I really love it. I find the calories burn to be quite accurate based on results and I really love the interface and all the graphs and data you get with your account and the silent alarm is absolutely brilliant. I also have the scale that automagically uploads my weight to a graph so tracking my progress is so so easy.

I second this...minus the scale, and add that I really love the fact that...once I sync my Fitbit, that the exercise syncs with MFP and adjusts my cals to an appropriate level. It's so nice to be able to figure out my exact calories that I need to eat to lose
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia core and LOVE it. I'd say the calorie burn is pretty accurate - I have it linked up with my MFP account so it increases my calories when I work out, and I have been losing about 1.5 to 2 pounds a week or more, so it seems to be giving me the right kind of info!

As far as the arm band - I started out with about 18" and definitely had to order the large arm band. I wear mine all day every day except when I'm in the shower, and when I'm in class. (The arm band beeps at you if it stops reading data because it's lost contact with your arm - I am just paranoid about that happening in class.) It took me a couple days to get used to it but now I don't even notice that I'm wearing it most times.

Hope this helps!
  • KimberlyinMN
    Options
    (The arm band beeps at you if it stops reading data because it's lost contact with your arm - I am just paranoid about that happening in class.) It took me a couple days to get used to it but now I don't even notice that I'm wearing it most times.

Hope this helps!

The Link version beeps when you've synced with the smartphone app. I rarely hear it, but my coworkers will tell me that my arm is beeping. :) They all know I have terrible hearing and joke about pooling their money to get me hearing aids. Anyhow, I only hear the beeps if I am in total silence... it's not as loud as the old digital watches that people used to wear. (Or, in the case of my husband, STILL wear. Then again, maybe it IS as loud and I just can't tell.
  • preeti77
    preeti77 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hey all

I recently purchased the Ki Fit (the UK verison of the BM core) Its brilliant.

I second the comment about it making me be more active to see the numbers go up.

However this morning I've forgotten mine at home. Does anyone know how I can manually put in my calories for the day?

Any replies would be appreciated
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    This is great, I'm in the market myself!
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Link. I do love it but I am also thinking about getting the new Fitbit Flex. You do need to have the subscription in order to access your data.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    I don't care how many steps I've taken, I care about the accuracy of calories burned. I ordered a Bodymedia core after reading this.

http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/