Polar FT4 heart rate monitor issues

Options

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    That will be the strap. They are not covered in the warranty either. I had one go on me about 2 days into a new one. Lucky I'd only upgraded from my FT4 to a FT60 so I could still use the strap.

Also hope you been either cleaning the strap (under running water is usually fine) or throwing it in the washing machine once a week. Sweat will kill it after a while.

I rinse it before using it, but I've never put it in a washing machine, great advice, thank you :)

Rinse it after use as well. Otherwise the sweat just sits in there.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

:laugh: Garmin is the brand of HRM.

Garmin makes HRM? I had no idea. I use my Garmin for running, and it tracks my distance and pace, and I know you can get those with HRM included, but I did not know they make just a HRM.
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Same issue with my Polar FT4 - I contacted them and they suggested I send my device in. I can't do my workouts without it, so I've been using it even though it's fautly. Not that this comment helps your situation, just know it's not only your device that does this.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have tightened the strap to Max, wetter the electrodes, washed it after use but my FT4 still malfunctions. My husbands works just fine. He never washes the strap (yuck). Go figure!!!!

At 80bucks it is to expendive to replace with another. I wish there was an easier solution.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I have tightened the strap to Max, wetter the electrodes, washed it after use but my FT4 still malfunctions. My husbands works just fine. He never washes the strap (yuck). Go figure!!!!

At 80bucks it is to expendive to replace with another. I wish there was an easier solution.

Because your strap is gone. They do that & that's why they are not covered. Put your husbands strap on with your wearlink..... bet it works.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i'm having issues with mine as well. i sent a pretty nasty email to the company and they wrote back saying to pop the battery out of the sensor for 5 minutes and then put it back in, which has helped. still, on my bike ride yesterday, i saw my HR at 225 as well as 0. i'll be getting a different brand in the future.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Try getting your strap wetter or using a gel with it... but honestly, I had the same problem with 2 polars! Switched to a Garmin last year...problem solved!

I use a little oil based moisturiser with the water since the problem started (about a month ago). Hasn't really helped, I use a lot of water already and sometimes when it gives me a reading of 00, I take it off and re-wet it, but it still has the water on it from the first time :/

Apparently things like moisturizer makes the problem worse. The instruction manual is available online and recommends washing the strap frequently making sure to remove the sensor. I find that if I don't wash the strap, I'm guessing that the salts in the sweat causes it to give the 00 HR.
  • Eyesblu
    Eyesblu Posts: 60
    Options
    just call polar...I had a problem with mine and they gave me a new one they may replace it.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Because your strap is gone. They do that & that's why they are not covered. Put your husbands strap on with your wearlink..... bet it works.

Thats what I was going to suggest next. Its most likely the strap. I am not sure how much a replacement one is, but the elastic is kinda stretched on mine and I know it wont last forever. I will probably need to get a new one eventually as I assume the Monitor should last longer than the strap.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I had that problem with my FT60, and I live in a country where Amazon doesn't deliver, so can't return.

The solution I found was to wear it on my sports bra instead of on my wrist.
    It works fine that way.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think you will find it is the strap. If you have one of the soft straps that is likely the case. Mine did the same thing and they sent me out a new strap with a hard rubber that sits against your skin. They said they were not using the soft ones in future. My FT7 is over 2 years old and they replaced mine for free.
  • attcute
    attcute Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    the only times i had this issue with my Polar FT4 was when the battery needed to be changed...i went to walmart and replaced the batter in the watch...occasionally ill get the 00 reading and I just wet the leads more and that does the job.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Try getting your strap wetter or using a gel with it... but honestly, I had the same problem with 2 polars! Switched to a Garmin last year...problem solved!

I use a little oil based moisturiser with the water since the problem started (about a month ago). Hasn't really helped, I use a lot of water already and sometimes when it gives me a reading of 00, I take it off and re-wet it, but it still has the water on it from the first time :/

Ohh you should never ever use anything with an oil base on the heart rate straps. It'll void your warranty. Is your chest strap senor area fabric or is it the newer rubberized version? If you are using the fabric version, chances are there's a lot of build up in the strap from your sweat. Remember, sweat is salt and it'll gunk up in there. After every use, you should be washing it with a mild soap and then weekly, throw it in with your clothes or towels. Just make sure to hang it up and not put it in the dryer.

Mine had been acting up as well - I have the FT7 and FT4. Sometimes the sensor and the watch just have difficulties reading each other. I contacted customer service and have had no issues since. They replaced the entire watch, gave me a new strap and even sent an extra sensor for my troubles. I will say, Garmin's aren't fool proof either. Friends of mine have had the same issues with mis-reads and high heart rates. When the numbers start looking goofy, it's time for a new battery most likely.
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Ohh you should never ever use anything with an oil base on the heart rate straps. It'll void your warranty. Is your chest strap senor area fabric or is it the newer rubberized version? If you are using the fabric version, chances are there's a lot of build up in the strap from your sweat. Remember, sweat is salt and it'll gunk up in there. After every use, you should be washing it with a mild soap and then weekly, throw it in with your clothes or towels. Just make sure to hang it up and not put it in the dryer.

Mine had been acting up as well - I have the FT7 and FT4. Sometimes the sensor and the watch just have difficulties reading each other. I contacted customer service and have had no issues since. They replaced the entire watch, gave me a new strap and even sent an extra sensor for my troubles. I will say, Garmin's aren't fool proof either. Friends of mine have had the same issues with mis-reads and high heart rates. When the numbers start looking goofy, it's time for a new battery most likely.

I only started using the oil based moisturiser with it very recently, way after the issue started, it's just getting worse and worse so I gave it ago, it found my HR but still dropped out later on.

It's the rubberized one I have. It's currently in the washing machine for the first time since I got it (ewww I know but I didn't know it could be washed, I thought it would more likely break it!). Hopefully that will help, if not, there are replacement straps on eBay for £15 so I think I'll try a new one and see if that helps. Waiting on these batteries too. Attack it from all directions! lol.

I'd phone them up, but it was a gift for me at Christmas and the person who gifted it to me no longer has any of the receipts. It was purchased on Amazon but they say it's way out of it's warranty (which apparently was only 12 weeks, gah!).

Let's just hope it's the batteries and nothing else. Hopefully a good wash will help too.

Thank for all your replies and advice guys! :flowerforyou:
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Actually I don't believe you're supposed to wash the newer rubberized straps in the washer. Only the older fabric ones. A new strap is about $20 on amazon.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Actually I don't believe you're supposed to wash the newer rubberized straps in the washer. Only the older fabric ones. A new strap is about $20 on amazon.

My FT7 strap that I got a few months ago says it's washable.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    When they say they are washable I dont think they mean chucking it in a washing machine. simply after use wash it with shampoo or mild soap in the shower.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Polar don't have the warranty cover the straps at all. I had to ask them about it once & it's not covered.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    That will be the strap. They are not covered in the warranty either. I had one go on me about 2 days into a new one. Lucky I'd only upgraded from my FT4 to a FT60 so I could still use the strap.

Also hope you been either cleaning the strap (under running water is usually fine) or throwing it in the washing machine once a week. Sweat will kill it after a while.

I rinse it before using it, but I've never put it in a washing machine, great advice, thank you :)

Rinse it after use as well. Otherwise the sweat just sits in there.

I put mine in a bra bag to wash..ALSO the directions say NO fabric softener..so I toss it in with kitchen towels that I don't care if they are soft...and I hang it to dry after. It says to wash it after ever 5 or 7 uses I forgot which. It really makes a difference.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I had the same with my PT7 I washed the strap then when I went to use it I wet it more than usual and tightened the strap as well :) Havent had any issues since