Chronic Back Pain

Options
Hi! I am wondering if anyone has any tips for lower back pain. I was in a horse accident a year and a half go, and broke my pelvis in 4 places, along with a few ribs, and had some damage done to my internal organs. I bounced back fairly quickly, and started riding again.. blah blah blah.
Every now and then though, I get severe pain for weeks/months at a time, and then it dies down a bit. I have had an MRI that showed nothing and am currently waiting on x-ray results. I do a lot of stretching, and very recently started walking to see if that would help.
If anyone else out there has had any experience with this, any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

Replies

• boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    So sorry you had hurt yourself but so glad you bounced back. Backs are very sensitive when you hurt them especially when you use your back for everything. I have struggled with constant back pain for years, have degenerating disks, and two bulging disks that act up every so often. As long as the xrays come back with nothing I would say its probably more weak core muscles and if that is the case, i would start there. Just make sure it is okay with your doctor but not many doctors frown on core work.

I would try to hold plank a couple times a day for 5 secs at a time working up to 30 secs at a time. This is the most effective i found. I would also find some more core exercises to do, like supermans. Make sure in whatever exercise you do you hold your core tight, this will also help. Hope this helps.

Jess
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Have a special sympathy for you, as my daughter works w/horses. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the book at this link that gives you McKenzie Method exercises to do for your back (if you have trouble w/your neck too, then I'd recommend getting the book that has the back & neck exercises combined). This particular method is so successful that I joked w/my physical therapist that they're putting themselves out of business by teaching these exercises to their patients. The exercises seem more like stretching, but produce really great results in most people. They also don't take very long to do. You might also want to try adding some joint supplements to your vitamins (check w/your doc about it first), because your back & hips have joints as well. Osteo Bi-Flex (glucosamine/chondroitin), and MSM has really worked well for me. All the best in your recovery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0987650408/
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! This has worked for my entire back! I have a rotated vertebrae in my neck, mild left lumbar scoliosis, and a 90 degree tail bone. They sometimes give me trouble. This doesn't look like much, but it really helps. Also, tai chi or qigong are very good for back pain. They really help loosen it all up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iehtr8X3qMc
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Assuming there's not anything structurally wrong, look for exercises designed to work/strengthen back muscles. I had lower back pain for years (not remotely on the same level as yours). I did have chronic leg/ankle pain from breaking it in two places last January (and knee/shoulder pain stretching back to high school). If there's no medical reason not to exercise those muscles, take a look at the suggestions already offered. I'd personally suggest DDP Yoga, because I know that it worked for my pains.
  • Dharinne
    Dharinne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate your help, and will probably try all of your suggestions. :)