Any basic foods high in protein - low in sodium?

Options
LJgfg
LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
Trying to get the hang of this nutrition thing *smile* Total beginner here! Been tracking my intake for the last 8 days and that seems to be the area I feel I need to work on first. All the proteins that I've found so far (my past eating habits) are very high in sodium, so I'm looking for ideas. I know there are protein shakes and powders out there but I'd rather try to find actual foods first. Thanks!

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Meats only have salt in them if you put salt in them. Buy them as natural as possible and then cook them yourself.

Greek yoghurt, quark and natural yoghurt are all without salt and high in protein.

Beans are high in protein, but the tinned ones are often laden with salt. Look for salt free tins, rinse them or buy dried beans and cook them yourself.
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    STARKIST VERY LOW SODIUM ALBACORE TUNA @ WALMART. 32 GRAMS OF PROTEIN FA DA WHOLE CAN & 70 MG OF SODIUM FA DA WHOLE CAN
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what is meant by "basic foods", but if you buy unprocessed foods and prepare meals yourself they will only have as much sodium as you add. Meat, fish, beans, nuts, nut butters.

Fresh herbs and Mrs. Dash salt free seasoning blends are great for cooking without salt.
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Okay - getting a little confused *smile* For example, when I add steak - sirloin to my food diary (bought at store, trimmed, I added nothing to it, just grilled it) it says it has 58mg of sodium per ounce - or 348 for a six ounce serving. Skim milk (again - straight from the store, nothing done to it) is 191 mg for a 10 oz serving.

So what I consider "unprocessed" food apparently still has sodium in it - even if I don't add any? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Also - basic foods (to me) are items such as chicken, steak, milk, etc that a) require only the most minor prep, b) are common in a Midwestern diet (no tofu, no sprouts, fish is debateable, etc.) and c) cheap and easily available at my local store (no offense meant, but many times the items I see listed in books and websites either require a ton of prep, are things I never heard of, or cost a lot of $$).

I did try some greek yogurt yesterday - not sure if I consider it edible or not, but will try it again in a day or two. I think it's something I can get use to eventually.

Thanks for the help!!
  • karennh65
    karennh65 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I will have an Atkins Protien shake, snack a Dannon 2x protien greek yogurt. Eggs are a good protien source. For lunches and or dinner, each weekend I will grill up a package of fresh trimmed chicken tenders and season them to taste, then freeze 3 tender's per bag. I will have them for lunch w/veggies or in a salad. Shimp to a salad is good too, however will have higher soduim naturally. You will find sodium naturally in almost everything, just be aware of your total. My nutristionist has me watching mine and I have it set at 2500 per day. Some day's I will go over, other not even close. :smile: