help! i dont want to give up starch

Options
I have no problem "limiting" the kind of starch I eat and how much, but I simply can not cut it out altogether. Does this mean my weight loss is doomed?

I like to have a whole wheat whole grain bagel sometimes, or some pita. I do go with the higher fiber content just to make the better choice, but can I still lose weight eating this stuff?

And I also really like to once in a while have a slice of real pizza for a meal.

how much does starch really interfere with weightloss? I simply hate low carb diets and my body does too

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I am physically incapable of giving a serious reply to this question and am therfore writing this message to bump your thread to the top so that you may find the answer you are wanting.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    calories burned > calories eaten = weight loss.

Has nothing to do with starches or carbs.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I am physically incapable of giving a serious reply to this question and am therfore writing this message to bump your thread to the top so that you may find the answer you are wanting.
    Is this why?
    523287_151599191660008_1774596250_n.jpg

This is the correct answer.
    calories burned > calories eaten = weight loss.
    Has nothing to do with starches or carbs.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Why would you have to give up starch to lose weight?
  • bookstitch
    bookstitch Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I went to a doctor to figure out my weight issues and she specializes in weight management. She told me to not eat starches for dinner and then the rest of the night. It is harder for your body to digest starches at night. So if anything, try that and see how your weight loss is going. I agree, it is difficult to give up starches!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

good answer!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Simple answer - No. There are more people that fail at weight loss by cutting out food groups altogether than those that eat what they want in moderation. I even go to bed some nights right after eating dinner...yes...with a stomach full of carbs and starches. Some people would argue that hinders weight loss as well, but it hasn't for me. It all boils down to calories in vs calories out in the long run.

Edited to add: don't give up pizza! I actually ate a half of a pizza for dinner lastnight om nom nom. lol. It's an essential food group! :)
  • jen_mv
    jen_mv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Why would you have to give up starch to lose weight?

A lot of people have the idea that starch/carbs are bad and lead to weight gain. Maybe it came from low carb diets?
  • linalovekitty
    linalovekitty Posts: 187
    Options
    Simple answer - No. There are more people that fail at weight loss by cutting out food groups altogether than those that eat what they want in moderation. I even go to bed some nights right after eating dinner...yes...with a stomach full of carbs and starches. Some people would argue that hinders weight loss as well, but it hasn't for me. It all boils down to calories in vs calories out in the long run.

Edited to add: don't give up pizza! I actually ate a half of a pizza for dinner lastnight om nom nom. lol. It's an essential food group! :)

I agree with this 100%. I feel that in the past giving up food groups has led to my inability to lose weight bc I feel so deprived and am probably eating more calories than I should be. Also, my friends who swear by low carbing it also identify themselves as people who "cant have just one piece of bread from the basket"
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I went to a doctor to figure out my weight issues and she specializes in weight management. She told me to not eat starches for dinner and then the rest of the night. It is harder for your body to digest starches at night. So if anything, try that and see how your weight loss is going. I agree, it is difficult to give up starches!

goodness... i hope she isn't licensed by anyone, thats fabrication, food is fuel , regardless of the source, now some is better fuel than others , but starches , regardless of the time eaten , are just fuel , and cannot turn into fat , by themselves

Calories in versus calories out, (physical activity) is what leads to weight loss,
    it can be doen with a million different fads, eat this food, don't eat this food,
    but in the end it needs to equal out to a deficit in calories in , and an excess in calories out(exercise/activity)
    its just that simple
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    IIFYM

It makes me kinda sad to see so many people fussing over what kind of foods they should be eating. You don't have to give up starch to lose weight! As long as you fit your macros with reasonable choices, you're fine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So don't give them up.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I have no problem "limiting" the kind of starch I eat and how much, but I simply can not cut it out altogether. Does this mean my weight loss is doomed?

I like to have a whole wheat whole grain bagel sometimes, or some pita. I do go with the higher fiber content just to make the better choice, but can I still lose weight eating this stuff?

And I also really like to once in a while have a slice of real pizza for a meal.

how much does starch really interfere with weightloss? I simply hate low carb diets and my body does too
    Btw I eat "bad carbs/starches" like Oreos and other packaged/processed carbs just about every day. I find that it improves my lifting performance. I like to eat a bunch of simple carbs right after I workout. This hasn't made me fat (technically I'm underweight).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    Eats potatoes, rice, bread, pizza, along with beer, wine, ice cream, cake, burgers, etc, and has lost weight and fat and continued to enjoy life. :bigsmile:
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to bread until I started avoiding gluten (could be some relationship, but I no longer miss bread). If a particular food causes a problem or "binge", it's probably wise to avoid that food, or limit it to instances where you can better control consumption. That doesn't mean you have to give up an entire "macro" - just find instances of carbs (or fats or proteins) that you can eat in moderation and mostly stick to those (eg, if you are a glutton for bread, try rice or potatoes instead - similar carb "profile" but different mouth feel and flavor)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    then dont
    eat it and stay under caleries
    i dont give up starch..............
    ive lost 24 pounds in 4 months
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I would say don't give up starch. If you are limiting it to reasonable amounts, and more importantly, creating a caloric deficit overall, I see no reason to worry about starch stalling your weight loss efforts. Thankfully, carbs don't have a magical evil quality to them that that makes them worth six times their calories, and actually our bodies are not very efficient at converting them to fat. It's just that when we are using mostly carbs for fuel, we aren't tapping into much fat. The calories end up balancing out regardless of the source.

There is also nothing magical about the time window after dinner and before bed that would make the food you eat more fattening. Your digestion and basal metabolism should be running along pretty much like normal when you sleep. The only way eating late matters is if you end up eating more total calories than you should for the day. Or if you have digestion issues that would make it difficult to sleep.

If avoiding starch is something that works for you in the self-control realm, then there is nothing wrong with that, but don't make your goals more difficult by trying to follow unnecessary rules.
  • cassienut
    cassienut Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat everything good, bad, ugly. I just keep it in my calorie range and I still lose. Don't stress over what you eat, maybe just how much and you will be fine. :) It is really simple. Eat less, lose weight.
  • handeye
    handeye Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    as long you as you eat a varied diet and keep within your set calorie range for dieting you should be fine! it feels terrible to cut out food groups...you end up craving them (and in my case binging later). i still eat everything i want (including having a beer or wine or two) but balance it out by having an extra hard workout or eating very clean the rest of the day. i never feel deprived! you've got to live, girl. starches are fine in moderation, just like everything else.