Fitness Hula Hooping

Options
I just started fitness hula hooping with a 2.5 weighted hula hoop. I was just curious if there was anyone else out there that has done this exercise and what kind of result they got from it and how long it took them to get these results.

Replies

• LindseyLinea
    LindseyLinea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just bought a 2 lb hoop myself, I've been at it for almost 1 week now along with eating my 1,200 calories per day. I've lost 7 lbs in the past week and a half!! According to calculations from other sites - hooping for 10 minutes will burn 81 calories. I like to separate it to 3x per day. It's so much fun and the time goes SO FAST. I've gotten the girls at work into it too!!
  • LindseyLinea
    Options
    Wow 7 pounds in a week is great. I have been doing it for about 3 days. I have only gotten up to 15 minutes. Granted one day I did 2 times of 15 minutes. I agree. It is so much fun and time flies by. How long do you do it for? We should keep each other updated on our progress of hooping since we are close to starting around the same time. I can't wait to see my progress after a month.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have just started hooping. Bought a hoop from Hoopnotica and a DVD (do not care for the DVD- follow YouTubers instead) and have also made my own hoops (12 of them for cheaper tha!) I really like it so far but have only been doing it for a couple days. Will wait one month before weighing and taking measurements.
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't frequent these message boards, but I'll add you so we can keep each other updated!
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    that is a very heavy hoop, as u progress u will need a lighter hoop. and make sure it a dance hoop, not one of those "exercise" hoops with nubby bumps or foam.

i have been hoopdancing for 3 or 4 years, taught classes, and did performance gigs.
    check out hooping.org to get more info, find tutorial videos, and open up the world of hoop dance :)
  • gigithegirly
    gigithegirly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    my hoop is a 37 inch hoop and weighs maybe a pound and a half and is after a month starting to be a 'heavy' hoop for me as far as hoop dancing and doing tricks. I visit hoopcity.ca for tutorials and to hook into the hooping community. I guess it really depends on what you want out of hooping, if you just want a mean cardio burn or if you want tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmEwVC9x-h4 i don't own this video, this is from SaFire but it's a taste of the hoop dance community :)

ETA: Feel free to add me, i love to have hoop friends :)
  • LindseyLinea
    Options
    I accepted both of your requests. I haven't really thought about hoop dancing. I just started doing the hoop exercise because I heard it was a good exercise and fun. I didn't get to do it the last four days because we were gone on a small vaca. But back at it again today.
  • gypsyjae
    gypsyjae Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Lindsey... I came across your post & created an account at this site since noone had responded to your post... If you can, return that hoop! I promise I am not trying to sell you mine, I just want to save you from some serious potential injury... (and you get a better workout with a lighter hoop... But not TOO light! I would suggest that you get a Standard Adult Size Beginner Hoop from anywhere you want. I made the same mistake and bought the foam weighted one too & then someone told me the same thing... I already have a bad back, so luckilly, just like you, I didn't have i long before I learned the "real deal" .... I lost 20 pounds since I started! My goal was fitness & weight loss, but more for the dancing & the full circle well being it gives... And THAT, it does! I REALLY am not going to suggest a site or company cuz I would have to say mine, but I think you should go by who & what you like & how much you want to pay. The Standard Hoop can run anywhere between $20 to over $100 for he same thing, so do yourself a favor & do some research. What's most "popular" doesn't always mean best... Good Luck & ENJOY reaching your goals!!! If you'd like, I'm on Facebook, or contact me at peacehoops.com
    All the best,
    Peace!
    Jamie
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I'm a hooper. I've been doing it for years now. Have I lost weight from it or because of it? Well, there is a diet portion to any weight loss plan and until recently, I've not been doing that. I'm down 13 lbs since February 22 and hooping is pretty much my sole exercise. I do more than just waist hoop though because I like to hoopdance. I've got several hoops of different sizes. A good big, heavy body rocker hoop is great for learning on body stuff, but I've got several lighter hoops that I use now. Be careful of bruises and don't hoop on them if you get them. (Eventually, you learn the right way to do things and you don't bruise, but that can take a week or two.) There are a couple of must visit hooping websites. Feel free to friend me.
  • LindseyLinea
    Options
    Jamie,
    Thank you for replying. I am new to hooping and would love any advise you have. I was checking out your website too. I think I might order a hoop from your site too. 20 pounds is a great loss. I don't need to lose a lot but some and need to tone more.

Purpleprose,
    I have added you. 13 pounds is a great loss too. Congrats. And like I told Jamie above... I could use any advise you want to give since I am new at this. Only done it about a week. I did have bruising some but not a lot. It only hurt a day. But I am thinking about getting a lighter hoop too.
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    Jamie,
    Thank you for replying. I am new to hooping and would love any advise you have. I was checking out your website too. I think I might order a hoop from your site too. 20 pounds is a great loss. I don't need to lose a lot but some and need to tone more.

Purpleprose,
    I have added you. 13 pounds is a great loss too. Congrats. And like I told Jamie above... I could use any advise you want to give since I am new at this. Only done it about a week. I did have bruising some but not a lot. It only hurt a day. But I am thinking about getting a lighter hoop too.

Lighter hoops are great. I have several now and started making my own when my hoop maker moved to another country. :) I think you'll love it long term.
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I agree with people on here. Please, please please be careful with those heavy hoops. Hooping over bruises can be dangerous!!!!

Hoop dancing is the way to go. I don't want to echo everyone's advice on here but I agree.

I will say, that I have been hoop dancing for over two years and after changing my diet a year an a half ago I am down about 60lbs and hooping is my only committed "exercise". Feel free to friend me and check out my blog for progress pics and the difference in my body at this weight in college and at this weight with hoop dancing. If you can't find it I can post the link for you.
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    And I will add that you can only hoop short amounts of time with those heavy hoops. You can hoop forever with regular hoops. It's so much more fun and gratifying.
  • Aeonis
    Aeonis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'll hop on the bandwagon and also say be very very careful with the heavy workout hoops. I have several different sized hoops to fit my moods. I have large ones for slow groove spins, and much lighter tiny ones for tricks. My heaviest hoop is a 42" 1.5 lber and even that starts to bruise after a while.

That aside. I love hooping for fitness. It's wonderful and fun. While hooping hasn't been a big part of my weight loss, it's a huge part of my toning. My abs and butt have never been better. As you progress with hoop dancing and tricks it's a full body workout. My arms, back and so forth have definitely seen the benefits.