Ladies in Maintenance...how many calories?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
Just curious what most women are eating in maintenance. I know it will vary a lot depending on size, age, etc. But I'm just looking for comparison numbers. If you can include your weight, age and exercise habits that would be great.

I am 41 and weigh about 105 lbs. I have been in maintenance for about 8 months at 1600 calories + eating back my exercise calories. I recently went through marathon training, and I ended up losing a few more pounds. I think maybe I underestimated my burn for running. I recently upped my calories to 1700, but am wondering if it is enough.

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It's going to be a matter of trial and error. For me, at 5'5" and ~20%BF, I maintained ~133 at 2100 calories. I recently did a bulk and suspect that my TDEE is now closer to ~2300.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, 107lbs, 5'0" and I eat 1,550 to maintain and I do eat my exercise calories and I've done well with maintaining at this rate. To lose I eat 1300-1400. My total with exercise calories averages about 1800-2000 calories.

My guess is your running burns more than you think and you need to increase a little or eat directly after a workout and make sure you aren't hungry before a workout by having a snack an hour before. That is best, but I usually eat dinner wait an hour and then workout and have a protein shake afterwards.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Anyone else?
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    When I first transitioned to maintenance in March I was in the 1,600-1,800 range, plus two low calorie IF days a week. But, about the time I started maintenance I also began walking 10 miles a week and started Mark Lauren's Body By You strength training program. I also started experimenting with primal eating, cutting out grains, sugars etc. All of that caused more weight loss and I'm currently 11lbs below my goal weight. I've just started playing around with macros percentages and have bumped up my calofies to 2,100 with just one low calorie IF day a week now. So far, so good!
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" 145 lbs and have been maintaining at 2300 to 2500 calories.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    5'7 130lbs, 28 (in a few days) years old.

I'm on maintenance at 2,000 cals + exercise calories, and usually eat most of them back if not all of them. It's been working fine so far, and worked great for me when I did it before, too. :)

Forgot to add exercise. I do cardio 2-3x a week and strength train 3-4x a week.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    38, 5'10, 138Ibs, pretty low bodyfat, I seem to maintain at between 2200 and 3000.
    I am quite active and do cardio 6 days a week, as well as strength training 2-3 times a week.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    5'5, 154 lbs, and maintaining at 1900 plus exercise calories, despite having a measured RMR of 670. >_< I walk about 5+miles per day and lift heavy 2-3 days per week. I'd like to lose more weight, but don't want to tinker with my diet until I get my health issues sorted out with my doctor, since they relate to malnutrition. :P
  • lporter229
    Options
    It's interesting to see the wide calorie range that works for different people, and even more interesting that it doesn't necessarily correspond to weight. I think this confirms what I already thought...that MFP calculators may be a good starting point, but you pretty much have to spend some time with trial and error to figure out what's right for you. Thanks for all of your replies.
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    5 4" 133 I maintain on 1900-2100