Peace. Love. Happiness. (My new lifestyle--anyone else?)

Options
AZenLife
AZenLife Posts: 8 Member
Dear fellow "myfitnesspal" friends,

I hope you're all enjoying this lovely Saturday! I just wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully make some new pals to share the fitness adventure, and maintenance with.

A little bit about me (on a fitness level): So, about 5 years ago I broke my back in a horse riding accident. Prior to that bump in the road I was an all-around athlete. I played hockey, football, rugby, ran, did kick boxing and horse back riding and worked out 6 times a week. I loved life. As you can imagine, my metabolism dropped from not doing much; and, going from doing 'a lot', it was tough on me both mentally and physically. I packed on the pounds, and felt like ... ****, really. Anyway, when I realized my back/SI joints would always be bothersome, I stopped feeling sorry for myself and decided to do physio and lose the weight I'd put on. But I kept hitting ruts when I'd get sore... it was hard to accept I just couldn't get back in shape like I used to do in a few months.. this was a lifestyle change that needed to happen gradually. Years it would take to get back, but I accepted it, and thanked life for giving me a second chance instead of sooking over what was. It's been tough though. Old sport injuries (like knees, shoulders, etc.) started to bother me while I'd worked out because my body wasn't strong anymore. It became clear: I needed to make a commitment to dedicate myself to getting back in shape, not only to feel better, but to keep my body strong and maintain it so I can live a happy life. I also needed to accept that I had to do this in time. This is a hard thing to do when you're used to being the girl who lifts weights, runs miles, and it all comes so easy. BUT, I am pleased to say, about two years ago I started to lose the 55 lbs I'd put on. And I did it gradually. Sure, my injuries still bother me, but I take it day to day. I am now rebuilding muscle, and am on the way to being a better person, both emotionally and healthly-wise. I hope to lose about 15 more and convert to lean muscle, which is a slow but worth-while challenge.

Why I'm positing this: Because I've been there. I know it's hard. We all have our reasons why it's hard to "get there." If I can help anyone in any way on here, I will. Because, I need support too. We all do. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not only a transformation, it's a challenge in a fast-paced greedy world. And, why not share the beautiful journey with like-minded friends?!

Some things I did when things got tough, and still do: When I couldn't do things physically, I meditated. I did art. I paint. I draw. I sculpt. It's a beautiful outlet. I write. Write it out, guys--it's good for you! Now that I am getting it back together, I don't play contact sports to avoid injury, but rather fun community sports, such as Ultimate Frisbee (I'm even an Ultimate coach now). I'm taking dance classes. After getting in touch with my more creative side, I've combined both creativity, passion, and fitness... the point is, find outlets that work for you! And don't give up :)

We can't do anything about the past. Even yesterday! It's gone. But we have the present. We have today. Don't beat yourself up over that extra 100 calories you ate yesterday... today is a new day. And don't worry about tomorrow. Life is too short. I'm only 27, but I know this now: Love yourself, and you can love life, and others. Embrace personal peace, and you will be happy. It's something we all deserve.

Sincerely,
Tanya

Peace. Love. Happiness.

Replies

• sparkyreb
    sparkyreb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What an inspirational post. You go girl. :-)
    I'm a newbie here myself. Add me if you like. we all have different reasons for why its the journey there that's the exciting bit. :-)
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    As sparkyreb says, it's an inspirational post. You have done a brilliant job of 'moving on' from you injury. Slow but sure gets you there.
    Everyone here has a 'good' reason for losing the weight and it's a great site for support.
    Good luck.
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You have an amazing outlook after being dealt a couple not-so-pleasant cards.
    More people need to have your mindset and reach their peace, love, and happiness through similar positive outlets.
    Good luck on your journey :smile:
    (Oh, and feel free to add me!)
  • Saraaw23
    Saraaw23 Posts: 35
    Options
    Peace Love and Happiness back at you! :)
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Love it. Very inspirational. I found this same path to inner wellness in a different way, but yes, it changes your whole being. I'm going to add you as a friend if you don't mind. Every day can use a little more peace, love and happiness and when it's shared it grows and helps build amazing things.

Thank you for this post and for sharing.
  • fitandfabnat2013
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that..you have a wonderful outlook, knowing that we are all in control about how we deal with life's hurdles is something I'm just learning. Well done for being so wise already, you are an inspiration!! :flowerforyou:
  • KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree. Life is too short to just give up. There will always be a way where there is a will!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Love it:flowerforyou: