To Eat or NOT to Eat before cardio morning session.....

Options
Question, should I be eating before my morning cardio session? I have read different views on this and would like to have some input from MFP. Some say that you need some carbs and others suggest to workout on an empty stomach to tap into stored fat. Hmmmmm, not sure what to do yet. Thanks in advance for your feed back. Have a great day!

Replies

• cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    It depends on the person. Personally, I don't because if I have anything in my stomach I will feel sick...even if it is just a banana. If you don't get sick though, eating something small before a cardio session can give you more energy during your workout to help you push through it more so it can be beneficial.

I know that sometimes by the end of an hour of cardio, I am not able to exert as much energy as I was in the beginning which is to be expected when you don't eat before...however I put out less energy throughout the entire workout when I am feeling nauseated so for me it is better to not eat before I work out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter... which ever makes you feel the strongest and lets you push the hardest. Try both, and however you feel the best and can sustain the most intensity, do that.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter
  • AngisBubis
    AngisBubis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I will try both and see which works best!

Thanks again! :smile:
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    Personally, I don't like to. I have some green tea when I wake up in the morning, go for a run, and then after I shower I'll eat. But if I'm really hungry before I leave I'll have a banana or some oatmeal.
  • blkpag1
    blkpag1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I will not eat anything before my morning cardio which is about 15-30 minutes on the bike (HIIT). For my nightly cardio, I will eat before and I spend about an hour on the bike (slower easier miles).
  • MjrFatteh
    MjrFatteh Posts: 15
    Options
    I try not to eat before my cardio most days but on days like today when I can't get to it for a few hours I have to eat. I generally try to do it within 30mins of waking up and then cook breakfast, eat, and shower. I'm not sure if it matters at all for fat burn one way or the other. Personally I do it because if I don't wait long enough after I eat I get cramps and there's nothing like stomach cramps 15 mins into a 50-60 minute run. In the end w/e makes you feel good during and after is probably best for you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter... which ever makes you feel the strongest and lets you push the hardest. Try both, and however you feel the best and can sustain the most intensity, do that.

^ That.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i do my cardio right when i wake up, but if i eat first i get queezy. sometimes ill have a piece of fruit if i feel like i need something, but anything more than that makes me sick.
  • dietcokeg
    dietcokeg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    if you feel hungry or low on energy i say eat - if you're not hungry when you wake up and are buzzing to go workout go for it. all i need is a cup off coffee and i am off. do what feels right for you and your body!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

^ That.

Just to reiterate...
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For many years I did not eat a thing before my 5 am workouts and was fine.

Then one morning I worked out really hard with a trainer and ended up with an ambulance ride to the ER because I passed out in the change room. Diagnosis - low blood sugar from not eating before my workout.

Now I have a protein shake 45 to 60 minutes before my morning boot camp class and I have no problems.

When I work out at lunch time on the alternate days I must have a good snack 30-45 minutes beforehand, otherwise I feel very weak, shaky, sweaty....all the classic signs of low blood sugar.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

^ That.

Just to reiterate...

Again^^^^
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I guess it depends on how your body reacts. You might try it one way for a week, then the other, then compare how you feel (all things being relative).

Running after eating gives me cramps. If I do eat before - it has to be at least an hour (just like your mother always said - wait an hour after eating before going swimming :smile: ).

That being said - if I eat breakfast (yogurt or granola), then run an hour later - I seem to be able to run farther. Not sure if it's mental or that I have fueled myself better - but it's consistent.

Always eat before and after lifting - performance really suffers if I don't fuel and recover properly.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^ That.

Just to reiterate...

Again^^^^

Yep This!!
  • harleigh67
    harleigh67 Posts: 131
    Options
    It really depends on you and what works for you....it is recommended you eat carbs before you exercise, but some of us prefer an empty stomach before we exercise will others prefer to eat then exercise,....I personally eat or do a protein drink 30 minutes before I exercise. Try both and find which one energizes you the most and does what you need it too!
  • AngisBubis
    AngisBubis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5am and do not feel hungry at all. I drive 35 mins to my workout location. I like the green tea idea. I think I will stick to that. Thanks again everyone!
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've been told by a nutritionist who writes for a magazine that its best to wake up and run without eating, and then wait for an hour after you have finished before eating breakfast.

I personally wouldn't have a clue though.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I have to eat or I feel dizzy.

I also get dehydrated first thing so tend to eat and drink before I go otherwise it plays havoc on my bowels.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I eat a small meal one hour before any cardio workout. If I don't, I feel very very badly.