Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Every time I so much as pick up my car keys I gain a pound
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You should strength train for a great looking, healthy body, and a good metabolism. And it's exercise and burns calories.

This.

Strength training will not make you lose weight if you eat too much, but it does burn some calories. More importantly, when you combine strength training with calorie deficit you help ensure that you're losing almost entirely fat instead of losing both fat and muscle.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

ETA: I misread the post I replied to. More coffee, less thinking. That's what I need.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Every time I so much as pick up my car keys I gain a pound

LMAO
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It burns calories and fat. It also increases muscle mass. Depending on how you strength train and eat, it can be significant. Muscle burns fat at rest, fat of course does not. The same is true for some cardio. It will add some muscle mass. It is best for fitness to get a mix of cardio and strength training. Thus increasing the fat burn and adding fat burning muscle mass.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    No, because noone ever lost weight strength training. I mean, look at competitive bodybuilders. Single digit body fat percentages, does it look like they spend time in the gym? Of course not.

arnold-cable-row.gif?t=1291259099

Same goes for ladies, they NEVER lift weights

149997_10150313447335574_327738720573_15833907_5213773_n.jpg
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    It's working great for me so far!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    bs_zpsc4b7d1d2.jpg

:laugh:
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just curious, since the topic came up...

Is there a way to automatically account for the calories burned through MFP or any related app as there is for cardio? In other words, if this week you lifted heavy weights for 3-4 days a week but next week you didn't do it for whatever reason, would you be able to use MFP or another tool (or even a simple rule) to understand how you would adjust your eating to maintain a calorie deficit?
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Just curious, since the topic came up...

Is there a way to automatically account for the calories burned through MFP or any related app as there is for cardio? In other words, if this week you lifted heavy weights for 3-4 days a week but next week you didn't do it for whatever reason, would you be able to use MFP or another tool (or even a simple rule) to understand how you would adjust your eating to maintain a calorie deficit?

It's pretty difficult to estimate caloric burn from Weight training in general, as the intensity is very hard to "measure" There are some sites out there that "estimate" it, but honestly, most people have varying intensity levels as they weight train.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Sort of like when you step a car's accelerator it burns more fuel to faster. Still following?

But what about fuel economy? If you press the gas running in place you dont go anywhere, you just waste fuel.

Edit: Also In For The Horse Beatings

BeatDeadHorse%5B1%5D.png

Everyone knows theres a Search feature right?

Treadmills increase fuel efficiency, allowing you to run further with less calories burned. This is less than ideal for weight loss. :)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Can you lose 30 IQ points reading MFP? Yes, as long as you are in an intelligence deficit, you will lose IQ points. Doesn't matter how much you can dead lift.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks for all the answers. im thinking yes.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight standing on your head....if you eat at a moderate and healthy calorie deficit. :laugh:

Strength training helps to maintain muscle and lifting burns calories. And helps you look GOOD! Now, enough time has been spent on this thread. Go pick up something heavy!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A caloric deficit will lead to weight loss (this can happen with no exercise, or cardio only or strength training only) What strength training does is ensure that a large % of your loss will be from fat and less muscle loss.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Can you lose 30 IQ points reading MFP? Yes, as long as you are in an intelligence deficit, you will lose IQ points. Doesn't matter how much you can dead lift.
    :laugh:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Only if you're a Jedi.