Newbie needs 30 day shred help

Options
flannan
flannan Posts: 45 Member
Bear with me because I've never excercised. Never. I joined 2 weeks ago and started by walking 30 mins. I bought 30 Day Shred and started tonite. I couldnt even get through the first level. I finished the entire section but pretty crappy. I had to stop alot, sometimes for more than 5 seconds. I can do most of the weight bearing and the floor excercise, but I can't even do a full set of jumping jacks, not one regular pushup. I could not get myself off the ground to do the butt kicks at all I was so winded and drained. Within 30 mins of finishing I am already sore all over.
Is this anyone else's experience or am i hopeless?? ; - )
Should you start by trying to do this every day even if you can't do it all, or better to do every other day and recover a bit in between?

Also, how do you log the 30 Day Shred in excercise? Thanks!

Replies

• sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just finished my fist go at the 30 day shred level one only minutes ago. It was a suprizing *kitten* kicker and Ive been working out 6 days a week for the past 2 months. I had heard good things but the jumping jacks and the pushups were more difficult than I anticipated and I'm with you the butt-kicks were more of a baby hop than anything. I am going to keep at it. It was 20 min and now I am done, which is quite appealing. If you need support I am here with you.

I looked up on the search option and found that most people recommended logging it as a circuit workout for 20 mintues.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    About a month ago I tried the 30 day shred twice. Each time I quite about 8 minutes till it was supposed to be over. The push ups were KILLING ME! I can't even do one girlie one!

I really want to do it and I think if I started it, did what I could over and over again, I'd find myself more successful. However I decided to work myself up to being able to do the program.

I'm trying the C25K program and the: 100 push ups, 200 squats and 200 sit up programs. I figure by the time I've figured that out I'll be more than ready for the 30 day shred. A little bit at a time! :-)

P.S. Its really funny to watch me try to do a push up! :-) But I swear I'm getting there! :-)
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I exercise quite a bit and with a lot of variety. I did level 1 of the 30 Day Shred last week for the first time. I also had to stop a few times and then for three full days afterward I could hardly walk! It was by far the most rigorous workout I'd had all year.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    be patient with yourself. I havent done this one but I have done many dvds and usually it is very hard to do in the beginning and I usually mess up all over the place and dont do all of it, but if I stay with it after awhile I became a pro at it and can finish it all plus more. just hang in there and dont give up. I would do it every other day and do something else in between like walking or lite weights maybe taking one day a week off. It helps your body to recover,. I know you can do this just dont give up
  • jenism
    jenism Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For me, I knew it was important to get into the habit of working out first. last week, I started out doing 10 minute daily workouts (here is a good 10 minute cardio workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX_Gy4HP2E).

I did this for a week before I tried the 30 day shred. I do think this helped, because like you I never exercised. But even after a week of doing 10 minute daily workouts I discovered that a) I felt better already, and b) my body wanted more!

I am only on day 2 of the 30 day shred. I plan on doing it daily. Today was easier than yesterday.
  • Anita1271
    Anita1271 Posts: 56
    Options
    Hang in there! I too started the 30 day Shred in January, and I couldn't get very far, so I just did what I could (anything is better then nothing). I took breaks when I needed them and they were longer than 5 seconds. But I was so proud of myself when I got through the whole level one without stopping. I'm now on level two and feel like I'm at the beginning again. Just do what you can!! This DVD really helped me alot! Especially with my endurance! You can do it :smile:
  • flannan
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! That makes me feel better.
    I thought the way everyone talks about it, everyone was able to do it right off. Not to be self defeating, but I can already tell that there is no way I can do this again tomorrow. i just tried to get up from the couch and almost fell over and crushed the dog.
    I'm going to try & do what I can and hopefully get stronger as time goes on.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! That makes me feel better.
    I thought the way everyone talks about it, everyone was able to do it right off. Not to be self defeating, but I can already tell that there is no way I can do this again tomorrow. i just tried to get up from the couch and almost fell over and crushed the dog.
    I'm going to try & do what I can and hopefully get stronger as time goes on.

I know its supposed to be an every day thing, but if you have never really exercised, you certainly don't want to over do it. I would alternate it with walking. Do a day of 30DS, a day of walking, a day of 30DS, and keep alternating. Then once you get your endurance up, throw in another day of 30DS to replace a day of walking, until pretty soon you are doing it each day. That's what I would do.
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I tried the 30 day shred twice. Each time I quite about 8 minutes till it was supposed to be over. The push ups were KILLING ME! I can't even do one girlie one!

I really want to do it and I think if I started it, did what I could over and over again, I'd find myself more successful. However I decided to work myself up to being able to do the program.

I'm trying the C25K program and the: 100 push ups, 200 squats and 200 sit up programs. I figure by the time I've figured that out I'll be more than ready for the 30 day shred. A little bit at a time! :-)

P.S. Its really funny to watch me try to do a push up! :-) But I swear I'm getting there! :-)

I understand the push up problem....when i joined the army I couldn't do one by the end of basic I could knock out 42 in 2 min. You can get there by doing this trick. alternate wall push ups (place your feet shoulder length apart about a foot or so from a wall, place you hand a comfortable width apart and lean into the wall using only your arms to push you off. It seems easy put you control the force by the distance from the wall. do as many as you can till your arms are tired) and then do over-head arm presses. ( standing straight or on knees, arms at a 90 degree angle, hands facing up and then just push up until your arms start getting sore. keep doing this at least 2 sets of each until you start feeling stronger.

I am back at square one with my push ups thanks to a shoulder injury but when I do the 30 day shred I do wall pushup and overhead presses when the dvd direct to go to a pushup. I may have modified but its a great alternative.

Good Luck getting ready for your wedding. I am a Bridesmaid in one Oct 29th.
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    my husband and i have been doing it for the past 2 weeks...we started level two on sunday and i'm really seeing results...i lost 6lbs last week...and now i'm really seeing a difference in my shirts! Make sure you take before and after pics! It was EXTREMELY hard the 1st couple of times...but even if I had to stop I got right back into it....tonite we are on day 4 of Level 2!!!! I can get through all the jumping jacks and the toe touches in level 2 are amazing lol...keep going its so worth it!
  • flannan
    Options
    The morning after: I don't feel as bad as I thought I would! My lumbar spine is a mess from an accident years ago and thought I wouldn't be able to get out of bed this morning, but not so!
    Legs are very sore this morning to the point I wore flats instead of heels However, I plan on walking from work to my car instead of taking the shuttle today. That will be a moderate 20 min walk.
    I like the looks of that YouTube cardio vid--Thanks!
    I am going to use walking and some of that on the off days from the Shred.

Look at me talking about excercise! This is a first in my life! LOL
  • Flippy44
    Flippy44 Posts: 77
    Options
    TOTALLY understand you. I also had never worked out and started with this (call us crazy right?). The first morning after Day 1 I could barely MOVE. Getting up and down out of a chair was a joke. Stairs were mission impossible. I so feel your pain (quite literally). But the important thing is that you didn't quit!! You stuck it out the whole way through and that says something about you - that you're committed.

Now I'm on day 8 of Level 1 and I can tell you it gets much easier. Even by day 3 I could tell a significant difference in my cardio abilities. That said - it still aint cake. :tongue: Last night for the first time I decided to try "real" pushups rather than the modified. Holy cow - THAT did not work well! :laugh: But I'll try it again tonight - and the next day - until I get it. That's all we can do!! :flowerforyou:
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    When I started the 30 day shred I couldn't do the push up and I still have trouble with them. Also does anyone know an alternative to the jumping jacks? They kill my knees and my calves. I pulled a muscle in my calf last year and when I do the jumping jacks I get the feeling that I it is going to pull again. I stretch before working out but still scared it may happen again.