Curious: why add friends?

Options
Hey all!!! Happy Monday!
I have a quick question: I know we can add friends on this app, but I'm wondering WHY? I'm just curious to know what you all do when you have friends. LOL I would love to have some friends, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do when I have some. Please help.

Replies

• Disneynut
    Disneynut Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For me its the additional support I get and encouragement we give each other, it also makes you accountable, so in your mind at least you want to keep on trying. There are lots of good people ready and willing to offer help, advice and encouragement, so why not take advatage of it?

Good luck with your efforts, if you wish to add me, feel free to send a request :happy:
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Moral support, general chit chat, comparing diaries and exercises. Being social generally.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Moral support and motivation! I have recently only got some friends and there all great :)
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have met some truly awesome people on here by accepting friend requests. People that will forever be a part of my life whether I am on MFP or not. But other than that, my friends are there for support, to encourage, to keep you motivated.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't have too many friends on here, but it's a good way to discuss weight loss efforts with people that actually care and put time and effort into figuring what works and doesn't. Also, when you mess up your diary you can b*tch to people that understand and have been through the ups and downs too.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    For some eye candy.

Oh yeah, and motivation, support, and camaraderie.
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons of having friends.

I deleted all of mine.

It seemed like all they did as complain or brag. I got tired of it. Everyone expects you to respond to them too. So, every time someone said that they ate something or exercised, they expected you to say "good job" or "awesome." It also seemed like they were always prowling to delete people on their list. So, if you were struggling, you were deleted, or, if you didn't respond to their posts, you were deleted.

I got tired of the above. If you need help, I recommend that you ask for friends. But, please beware that it's time consuming. I view my time on here as a personal journey. I don't want to meet anyone else's objectives, but mine. As, this is my journey, I don't need other people using a measuring stick, always seeing if they should delete me as a friend or keep me.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    People to cheer you on, help keep you accountable, and in general just getting to know new people. It's social media but not near the drama that you find on Facebook!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Mine send me pictures of their boobs.

Or well, that was the intention when I added them.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Support and motivation. You feel like you are not just letting yourself down but also everybody else if you have friends so I find it harder to give in which is a great thing! People are so unbelievably supportive too and it gets you through a bad week! Feel free to add me and I'll be as supporting and motivating as possible :)
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Moral support, general chit chat, comparing diaries and exercises. Being social generally.

Exactly this, I have found that I get more support from my friends on here because we are all heading in the same direction. I love my friends who I see in the flesh but sometimes they don't understand why I need to be so good concerning food and drink. Plus you get some great food ideas from other people's food diaries. xx
  • Roderunr
    Roderunr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Without my MFP friends, I'd be lost! They're awesome...they keep me accountable...they make me smile and give a good swift kick in the *kitten* when I need it!! Add some friends...it's totally worth it :happy: :happy:
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on how you define friend, and what a friend in general means for you. Friends to me are people I laugh with, cry with, joke with, cheer on (and be cheered), support unconditionally, and lay claim to a little piece of who I am. For others, they may only want friends who talk about fitness stuff only, and have no real personal connection with...and that's fine, if that's all you want here. I just don't personally see it that way. To me, those are only acquaintances.

btw, to all my friends...if I haven't told you lately...You are Magnificent, and you make my world a better place :heart:
  • princesstucker2012
    Options
    anyone feel free to add me :)
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I would not have kept up with this had it not been for the support and encouragement my friends list has brought me. They are some of the strongest people I've ever had the pleasure to "know," and love being a part of their transformations. I've been here 500 something days and am approaching 100 lbs lost. Support is priceless.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My reasons are pretty selfish :smile:. I enjoy being spurred on by reading about my friends' exercise routines.

Also, I opened my food diary. If I eat like crap I know I will have over a hundred people reading about it ... they may not give me a hard time about it, but it makes me think twice about the donut or the mindless snacking :smile:.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    For some eye candy.

Oh yeah, and motivation, support, and camaraderie.

This. Especially the eye candy part.
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Motivation, support when I have wobbles (lets face it we all do), advice, and laughter!

I am also really nosey and like reading their diaries ;)
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    There are pros and cons of having friends.

I deleted all of mine.

It seemed like all they did as complain or brag. I got tired of it. Everyone expects you to respond to them too. So, every time someone said that they ate something or exercised, they expected you to say "good job" or "awesome." It also seemed like they were always prowling to delete people on their list. So, if you were struggling, you were deleted, or, if you didn't respond to their posts, you were deleted.

That's really sad. I'm sorry you've had such a terrible experience. All the friends I've made are fantastic.
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It helps to have people in the same boat as you, they understand where you're coming from if you're struggling. If they need it, I'm here to lift them up and I hope they'd do the same for me on a bad day.

It's great to have people in my corner, people to talk to, people I admire for their success, even if they are perfect strangers.