Everything 'seems' right, but it can't be

Options
Right ... I post on the forum and want to be supportive and helpful but I'm feeling a total hypocrite.

I eat ok (not awesome, but ok), I exercise almost daily and really put effort into both cardio & strength. It took me a year to lose 21 lbs ... w/long term injuries and conditions, I'm sort of ok with that, but now I'm just fluctuating between 175lb and 180lb, week in, week out for the last few months.

I've always eaten big meals and it's been a real battle to get my portion sizes down to what they are. I'm willing to exercise more but there are only so many hours in the day.

Diary is open, ask any question, I'll answer it, but I need to shift the last 25lb for the sake of my back and self-esteem. I just can't keep going 'round in circles. The constant fluctuation is really getting to me.

Replies

• sarapopefitness
    sarapopefitness Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well, just taking a really quick glance through your diary and I noticed you take in a lot of sugary products. I know I have trouble with sugar (especially after eating something savoury - I want sweet!). From what I understand (I'm no expert), sugar is digested really quickly, and what is not used for energy is stored as fat. I remember hearing about a lady who was so confused because she ate an entire bag of apples every day and wondered why she couldn't lose weight. "Fruit is healthy, I should be losing weight". Well, great for getting the nutrients and vitamins from the apples, but you are consuming SO much sugar that it's like you are just drinking cans and cans of Coke. So, perhaps try to cut back on the sugar-filled products you are eating, and only have very small portions of sugary products to satisfy that need for sweet.
    And exercise-wise, everybody likes different things (you obviously go to the gym, while the gym is not my preference), but have you ever tried an interval training program? I am currently doing Insanity (I'm 7 weeks in), and noticing differences in my body.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just today your breakfast and lunch were basically sugary candy, plus a bagel.

So at a basic level, eat less and you'll lose the weight you want to lose. You basically have to lose 87,500 calories worth of fat. If you cut your intake by 500 calories, you'll have that in about 180 days. Sooner if you get more active.

Cheers!
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    500 calories I can do! I'll run through my (very habitual) diet and see where I can switch things out. Thanks gents :-)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I only looked at a few days of your diary and this is what I think:

1. eat more. you do not even meet your 1200 target all the time and 1200 is most times way too low - especially if you are working out.
    2. Your protein target is very low also - you should change it to about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass (for me that is 120 grams a day - and I typically eat more than that)

Search the forums for in place of a roadmap and calculate your BMR and TDEE then eat at a reasonable deficit from TDEE.

Example: I am 5'2", 125 pounds, strength train 4.5 hours per week, eat 2000 calories per day which is a 250 calorie deficit from my TDEE.
  • dbmata
    Options
    500 calories I can do! I'll run through my (very habitual) diet and see where I can switch things out. Thanks gents :-)

If I can make a suggestion, wean off the yogurts, replace with non-sugared items. I love yogurt, so if I eat any it's the fage full fat one without any sweetener, or I'll have it with a meal as a bit of sour cream, or a sauce component.

I also replaced the "breakfast yogurt" with things like a piece of roast meat, or recently, some wonderfully tart and savoury roast tofu that has been chilled.
  • dbmata
    Options

1. eat more. you do not even meet your 1200 target all the time and 1200 is most times way too low - especially if you are working out.

Ah damn, i just looked at today and it showed a 2200 daily target. I didn't realize. My comments are not really valid then.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, too much sugar. 2 banans a day is a lot for sugar, carbs and calories. I would eat other fruits like strawberries, melons,oranges, grapes, apples for snacks and add in some protien with it like cottage cheese, PB or some other nut butter like almond or almonds (about 15 are just under 100 calories so watch portions). Increase green veggies in your diet too, the fiber will help fill you up so you can keep your portions of rice and pasta smaller.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

2. Your protein target is very low also - you should change it to about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass (for me that is 120 grams a day - and I typically eat more than that)

Search the forums for in place of a roadmap and calculate your BMR and TDEE then eat at a reasonable deficit from TDEE.

Example: I am 5'2", 125 pounds, strength train 4.5 hours per week, eat 2000 calories per day which is a 250 calorie deficit from my TDEE.

This is good advice. I know from my own experience that I plateaued every time I dropped my calories below 1400 and starting losing again when I upped them. Eating more seems counter-intuitive, but it really does make a difference.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It looks like maybe a bit more consistency in your calories would probably help. Somedays you're eating close to 2000 and others only 1200. Also, I don't see any veggies on there. I try to only have 2 servings of fruit and eat alot more veggies for nutrients the rest of the day.

What kind of workout are you doing? I have always had the most success with a short cardio (maybe 10-15min) and about 30min of strength/weight training.

Good luck!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Okay. You are staying within your calories most days, which "a calorie is a calorie" is true. Theoretically you could lose weight eating 1200 calories (not that I'm suggesting you drop down to that) of pure garbage and lose weight. But you'd be hungry all the time which encourages binges on things that aren't to your benefit.

I read a while back that we crave what we eat. Eating sugary snack foods lead to cravings of sugary snack foods (nobody knows that better than me). I'm going to suggest something radical that you might instinctively want to resist because people always say "deprivation leads to binge eating (which I agree with in theory)". Select the two or three things that are repeating in your food diary that are not serving any beneficial purpose yet you just keep going back to them, and cut them out. Literally cut them out for 30 days minimum. Other sweets in moderation maybe wouldn't be off limits. Just those few things that seem to be your achilles heel. For me it was fruit flavored candy and salty snacks. I literally haven't eating a Starburst or a Skittle since September. Now, chocolate has never been a huge craving thing for me, so I didn't eliminate it. And when there's a birthday party I have a small slice of cake. But I can control my portions on those things and they don't lead to me wanting more of them. I can eat a reasonable portion of tortilla chips in a Mexican restaurant and then walk away when I've had enough and not think about them again. So those weren't eliminated either. Just things like potato chips, doritos, fritos, chex mix, etc. I cannot stop once I get started, and then I just want more tomorrow too.

So basically everything is permissible for me, except those few items I know I have absolutely no self control with when I eat them. Also, I'd start focusing on your macros. There should be protein at every meal where possible and don't skip meals. And don't sweat the sugars coming from fruit (in a reasonable amount) unless you have a health conditions that warrants you keeping a close eye on sugars.

Now. All this being said. I am not a nutritionist and I don't know your particular health needs. So please take what I say with that in mind. I'm sharing my personal experience with you, based on a lot of reading I've done, and my doctor and a nutritionists input on my lifestyle change. What works for me may not work for you. I wish you the best on your lifestyle change. You're off to a great start. Now press on to your great end!
  • vstraughan
    Options
    ok, I'm a little confused atm. I willing to try (almost) anything but would only want to adopt one thing at a time so I can see what makes the difference.

FWIW I agree my sugar intake is too high, although I am surprised :-/

Exercise - started 30 Day Shred this w/end too. Logging that as circuits and is combo strength & cardio

M: 15 mins on Power Plates (squats, lunges, planks, w/weights), 45 mins spinning class, 20 mins circuits
    T: 15 mins Power Plates (as above), 75 mins on x-trainer (including HIIT) + circuits
    W: as Tuesday
    T: as Tuesday
    F: as Monday
    S: as Monday
    S: 20 mins circuits only

I should say (due to injuries) I have to avoid impact work.
  • vstraughan
    Options
    on food .. I don't really have an achilles heel but I am a monster of habit. thanks!
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So, I looked at your food diary and you need to drop the muller light and the go ahead biscuits. They aren't really doing you any favours to be honest. Instead of sweetened/flavoured yogurt full of crap...try total greek yogurt and mix in some frozen blueberries (non sweetened) I have this OFTEN and LOVE it. I'm trying to think of a good alternative to your biscuits...but I can't. I'll have an avocado mashed up and on gluten free crackers as a snack. Or a pear or apple with some nut butter. Try to include more vegetables, what about carrot sticks and dip (if you need it).

For Lent this year I gave up sugar. If the ingredients said sugar or corn syrup or fructose glucose etc...I wouldn't have it. I managed to lose the last 5lbs and reach my goal without really trying, my calories were all over the place. It was the sugar that was holding me back. I also had a lot less cravings.

Good luck and add me as a friend if you like. I lived in the UK for 8 years and am quite familiar with the products there. I also lost weight with Slimming world twice but never met my goal till I joined MFP.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Sub in alternates for the store bought yogurts. As someone else suggested, adding some blueberrries to a plain yogurt is a better way about it. I don't know too much about yogurt, as i don't eat it, but the sheer amount of it in your diet (looks like at least 2 a day, plus 2 'yoghurt breaks' a day as well) seems a bit much.

Your calories seem way too low. You're eating under 1200 some days. I'm a guy, so have different needs, but I recently realized I was undereating by a ridiculous amount and effectively added 500 cals a day to my meals. I could probably add another 100 or 200 and still lose. Going under was not helping me, it was hurting me.

It looks like you're skipping entire meals! Sunday you have no lunch listed. Monday no dinner. And when you do it, it looks like mostly snack foods (pre-packaged yogurts, a bagel, etc).

I suggest sitting down and:
    1) figure out your TDEE and 20% goal cal intake per day. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how high this is.
    use this link:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

2) Now that you have a reasonable cal level, go to tomorrow on MFP (basically, an empty meal sheet) and work on putting together a set of meals that meets that # of cals. Try sticking to things that sound like 'real' meals... oatmeal with blueberries, or an egg, for example, rather than whatever "yoghurt breaks" are.

don't get me wrong, you can still have your yogurt, but make it more of a one a day thing and build a meal around it, don't make it the meal.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options

^^ THIS!! Look up your TDEE and go by that. Seriously. I ate at 1200 calories and gained. I upped my calories and am now losing very nicely. You HAVE to eat or you'l mess up your metabolism, your hormones, and you will mess up your weight loss. Good luck to you!
  • vstraughan
    Options
    Oh ... my...

Guys, thank you very much. I genuinely thought I was eating enough and of the right things. I've even been telling other ppl they're not eating enough ( so they must be in even bigger trouble)

I've put my biscuits and satsumas in the office kitchen and given my OH whats left of the yogurts. This eve I picked up some meats and light cream cheese (for protein and calories) and extra bagels (for calories). I'll have to play around with the food tracker to strike a balance but will definitely give it a shot for the next couple of weeks.

OH is also off to the grocers tomorrow :-)

Thanks again guys, I do appreciate it,
    Vicky