Options
    where else would i send my nudes?
    Pff, you don't deliver.
    Maybe not to you.......
    crying-oklahoma-state-player-sports-crying-gifs.gif
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was trying to decide if I wanted to "join" the community part of MFP by reaching out and making friends. This post has convinced me that I should. It would be a source of encouragement and information.

Thank you for starting this thread.
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options
    There are pros and cons of having friends.

I deleted all of mine.

It seemed like all they did as complain or brag. I got tired of it. Everyone expects you to respond to them too. So, every time someone said that they ate something or exercised, they expected you to say "good job" or "awesome." It also seemed like they were always prowling to delete people on their list. So, if you were struggling, you were deleted, or, if you didn't respond to their posts, you were deleted.

That said, I really enjoy my friends. There are a couple people I feel an extra kinship with. I keep my journal open to give me accountability. Like others have said, it helps knowing that my friends (and public in my case) will see what I ate. It helps keep me honest.

I got tired of the above. If you need help, I recommend that you ask for friends. But, please beware that it's time consuming. I view my time on here as a personal journey. I don't want to meet anyone else's objectives, but mine. As, this is my journey, I don't need other people using a measuring stick, always seeing if they should delete me as a friend or keep me.

Did you know that MFP automatically tells all of your friends what exercise you do and how many calories you burned, and how many calories you ate (after you finish and submit your day)? There's a way to turn it off in your settings, though. Maybe your friends weren't intending to brag, maybe MFP just submitted their information to you.
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been on here since, I think 2010, on and off. I found that when I actually added people the beginning of this year I felt more motivated to log my food and make an effort to exercise. As someone mentioned earlier there are pros and cons. It can be great motivation, and I especially like seeing what other people are doing or how they are using the site. On the other hand I do feel like they is some expectancy to comment on people's accomplishments, but I think that is definitely a give and take thing. If I comment on someone's accomplishment, then usually they'll comment on mine. But I think that plays into if you support them, they will support you.

It's all up to you, but I don't think it's a bad thing to add people for support if you need it or want it.
  • mlgarcia91
    mlgarcia91 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP but have never really kept up with it - I've kept up with eating healthier and being more active. I don't have any friends on here, so feel free to add me! I'd like to see if it helps me succeed.
  • sharon_moyer
    sharon_moyer Posts: 177
    Options
    Your friends on here act as your encouragement/support group. Sometimes we get down or disgusted with the way our progress is going, but an encouraging word or support of a kind word goes a long way. Want to give a try at how encouraging/supportive someone can be then add me because this is what I like to do on this site and I enjoy receiving the encouragement/support as well.
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    "One of my favorite things about MFP has been the motivation and support given and received through my friends list, seeing progress, swapping exercise tips, food ideas, help with struggles, encouragement, and just general fun!"

^^^^^^this. I agree totally
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big one for "you go girl" style motivation (possibly due to not being a girl?), but I have added people with similar interests, that amuse me and who make well-educated posts on the forums.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Moral support, general chit chat, comparing diaries and exercises. Being social generally.

Exactly this, I have found that I get more support from my friends on here because we are all heading in the same direction. I love my friends who I see in the flesh but sometimes they don't understand why I need to be so good concerning food and drink. Plus you get some great food ideas from other people's food diaries. xx

Ditto. I didn't think I was a woman who needed a 'good job' or motivation, but the support and having others that are focusing on the same goals has been incredible. Have really grown to love this place and the support and ideas.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Immoral support!
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Mostly the food...lol. I love getting recipe ideas for my healthy eating friends and eating vicariously through them when they splurge now and then.

It's also very gratifying to see them succeed and the support when I succeed or need a push!

Don't be afraid to delete someone who isn't like-minded (you'll know after a while). It will not help you in your journey, nor will it help them in theirs.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Inspiration, motivation, support, and the occasional laugh. :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any MFP friends while I lost weight (30lbs) over 6 months.

Then I hit an emotional wall, I just didn't care about losing weight anymore. I got on the website and discovered a whole world of forums, and friends, and inspiration.

Friending some people who are accomplished and driven got me on the path to lose an additional 20lbs.

And now I love them! I check in every day to check on my friends, see what's up. It keeps me accountable with logging and exercising.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just cheer them on and they cheer me on, plus it makes it more fun to log in and say hello to friends before I log my calories, keeps me hooked on logging which keeps me sticking to my plan. :)
  • mrscaryn
    mrscaryn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Caryn, nice to meet you. I add friends because it gives me support, kinda keeps me in check and balance because I know my friends can also see my progress. Right now, I am starting over, because I have gained some of the weight I lost back, having friends to talk to about it seems to help me get back on the right track. Also, when you do good it is nice to be acknowledged kinda makes you want to push on. Best of luck
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    My friends are my play things. I use them and then keep them locked in my basement.

QFT. She does let us out every once in a while though.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    How else can people bask in the glow of my awesomeness unless I add them?
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For me its the additional support I get and encouragement we give each other, it also makes you accountable, so in your mind at least you want to keep on trying. There are lots of good people ready and willing to offer help, advice and encouragement, so why not take advatage of it?

Good luck with your efforts, if you wish to add me, feel free to send a request :happy:

This is why I haveMFP friends.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    My friends are my play things. I use them and then keep them locked in my basement.

QFT. She does let us out every once in a while though.

I don't recall giving you Internet access. You will have pain for that one.