Still hungry after sensible eating..

Options
Hi guys, I am having a problem and looking for a little help here.

I find myself at times hungry, and I don't mean a little peckish, but all out, I need food and alot of it at times.

First off let me start with saying, this is happening frequently lately. I would wake up and exercise @ about 0500, then have breakfast, this is about 0800 - 0815 when I am at work, if I only drink water until lunch, I am okay, this is with ignoring the need to peck at about 1000, but heaven forbid I have a snack at about 1000 I am hungry, at 1200 I have to snack again, and around lunch time 1300 or 1400 I am again hungry, but unless its a big lunch, at about 1700 I am hungry again.

What is going on? I am trying to get my fruits and vegetables in, but it seems that when I snack throughout the day with these, I am hungry a few hours later.

p.s. Don't have this problem when I choose chips and cookies, but I am trying to eat healthier, but this constant eating is annoying and disrupting.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so I can't get specific advice. First, make sure you're actually eating enough for your activity level. Far too many people undereat when dieting and then wonder why their body wants more. Also, make sure you're getting protein and fiber with every meal. These help us feel fuller longer and may cut back some of the hunger.
  • maritzarazo
    maritzarazo Posts: 17
    Options
    Yes I would suggest increasing fiber intake. That keeps me fuller longer.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the answer. I am always hungry.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Have a little fat and protein and see how you feel
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I can somewhat relate. If I eat an apple, I am hungry an hour later. However, if I eat half an apple dipped in peanut butter or with some almonds, it holds me over until lunch. Another great thing is carrots or celery dipped in hummus. Roasted chick peas.

Foods that have fats, proteins, and fiber will help keep you full until lunch. I really have no idea why eating chips or cookies would make you feel fuller...all those do is make me want more cookies and chips.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    First off are you eating enough? If you're trying to survive on 1200 calories you'll probably be hungry. Are you eating proteins and good fats or trying to eat low cal, no cal, diet foods and veggies? You need proteins and fats to stay satiated. Why are you avoiding snacks? Plan a 100 calorie snack morning and afternoon. Not those crappy snack packs of cookies but some almonds or apple with peanut butter.

Also if you have just started restricting calories it will take awhile for your system to adjust. The first couple weeks you may have hunger pangs and cravings that will go away as your body adapts to the new food intake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein, fat and fiber help keep me full.

If I simply have protein (and little else) .... I'm hungry quicker than if I have protein combined with something else. You can keep tabs on when you are hungry .... there is a place for notes here in MFP. You will find the right "combination" if you work on it.

Swap out whole fruit (for fruit juice) .... most juices have very little fiber

Swap out whole grains for processed ones ..... 100% whole wheat has more fiber & protien than "Wonder" bread

Eat dairy with some fat.

Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado are all high in "good for you" fats.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the same hunger issues if you eat chips or cookies and they fit into your calorie goals why not have them? If you're worried about the stuff that goes into them cookies are fairly easy to make at home, freeze the dough and cut off a few slices to bake and you know exactly what has gone into them. There are loads of recipes for making them healthier as well. (I sneak flax meal into mine occasionally to up the fiber content.)
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I get this once and a while too. Every other person's post on here is all sound advice.

My tidbit- if you're hungry- eat. I know I HAVE to have a snack in between meals otherwise I'm ravenous by the time I can eat a full meal and I tend to way over eat in that case.

My other issue that my body wants to munch usually about an hour after a big meal. I try to chew gum during that time until my stomach finally tells my brain its full. Some of the hunger pangs might actually be habit more than anything else.

Hope that helps!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Chips help keep you full longer because 1. Potatoes are a higher calorie starchy vegetable and 2. They are deep fried in fat. If you swap low calorie raw veggies (alone) for chips ..... yeah you're going to be hungry.

Re: cookies .... again it's most likely the fat content that keep you full .... certainly not the sugar.

Post above recommended hummus with your veggies .... and nut butter with apples .... both great ideas

Also, veggies roasted in olive oil & garlic (or dipped in salad dressing) or fruit paired with a piece of string cheese
  • lilypad_604
    lilypad_604 Posts: 15
    Options
    Fiber and protein are definitely important in keeping you full. As are healthy fats. Don't shy away from them...everyone makes fat seem so bad but it's actually crucial in helping you achieve your weight loss goals.

A strategy that works for me is to keep snacking (but stay within your calorie limits). If I get hungry, ill eat an apple, or rice cake with light peanut butter, or have a protein shake. It means I am eating something every hour or so as each snack tides me over for about that long. I have 3 meals a day but they are not large as I have all these snacks in between. This is very helpful in keeping my metabolism running very fast.

Have you tried using natural appetite suppressants? Grapefruits and peppermint are great for controlling hunger pains. Don't use pills for this purpose as you'll get hungry as soon as you stop taking them and will probably gain all the weight back plus some...

Also, try drinking a bunch of water and waiting for about 30 mins. People often times confuse thirst with hunger.

Finally, it sounds like you may need to watch sugar intake if you are eating things like cookies. A lot of people say a calorie is a calorie but they do NOT have the same effect on the body. Logging a cookie as part of your daily intake may not be the best strategy so it's better to try to avoid them and only have one occasionally (definitely not every day). Here's why:
    Glucose and simple carbs/starches (ie cookies and potato chips) cause your body to quickly release insulin so glucose can be digested. These types of carbs are turned into glucose quickly, which is then used by your body for energy. The result is that you get surges of energy that lasts a short period of time and then you will crash. You will end up feeling tired and sluggish so you will tend to turn to these types of foods again to restore your energy...which starts the cycle all over again. This is not healthy. Excess sugar intake/ simple carbs like white bread can cause you to store unwanted fats.

Protein and complex carbs (fruits and veggies which also contain fibre that keeps you full) including whole grain products control blood sugar levels in that there is a gradual release of glucose. You won't get those surges and crashes which cause you to grab the nearest bag of cookies.
    Try: nuts, protein shakes, fruits/veggies, or almond/peanut butter on whole wheat toast. Cottage cheese is also great for curbing hunger for a while as it has protein and fats.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein is the only thing that keeps me full. Frankly though if I was up at 5am I'd be starving all day too. And you might not be eating enough.