Any sugar addicts out there?

Options
careyann19
careyann19 Posts: 21 Member
Hi everyone,

My name is Carey - I'm not too new to fitness pal but I am to the boards! Anyway, beginning to believe I am a sugar addict due to my years and years (not kidding, since I was a little kid) of a high sugar diet. I want to hear your stories, or just see if anyone else out there has the headaches and mood swings from sugar highs and lows. Hoping to find some friends here too! Hope I hear from you :)

- Carey Ann

Replies

• savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would say I was a junk food addict. I would say back in 2011 I was a huge candy lover. I would eat Mike and Ike and Twizzlers probably weekly. I love ice cream. I love cakes and brownies and cookies. I would find myself going to McDonnalds and getting their chocolate chip cookies a lot.

I started using Shakeology back in Jan 2012. I still have sugar cravings but they are not like they were before. I don't eat candy like I used to. I do add candy to my frozen yogurt. I would say I am not buying cookies like I was. I would say it is once in awhile. Instead of ice cream I am having frozen yogurt. At work we always have donuts, cookies, cakes out and I am able to avoid them most of the time. There are days that I break down and have something but not like I used to 2 years ago. I hope this helps.

Julianne
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Sugar is so addictive!! I'm pretty much off it now. It's hard, you'll be amazing how much sugar you're actually eating when you pay attention. Candy gives me a headache now after the sugar rush goes away. I cut most of the sugar out of most recipes.. or severly reduce it. I do use regular sugar not sugar alternatives when I use it. Or honey. I get enough sugar from fruits.

on another note.. Cinnamon honey.. omg.. my newest addiction.. mixed it in greek yogurt with banana and had dessert for breakfast today.. holy crap.. I want more.. mmmmm
  • ChampPinoy
    ChampPinoy Posts: 3
    Options
    Yeah, I'm addicted to my wife!
  • Chispasv
    Chispasv Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my biggest diet pitfall!
  • mishgetshealthy
    Options
    I definitely am! It's really frustrating. If I get some craving, it will be in the back of my mind, not letting me concentrate on anything else until I go get some sugar. ARGH!! I have a friend who is doing Shakeology and she also reported that her sugar cravings are dramatically decreased.
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm super pathetic :) I actually find a way to justify a butterfinger and cookies everyday.....totally guilt free!
  • careyann19
    careyann19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    BreeNJesse - If you can stop at that, then it should be guilt free! :) maybe I can get there eventually! I love chocolate but feel like I never stop :/ Amd have blood sugar dips without it it seems like. Maybe that's my body saying "stop trying to go without!"
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm addicted to my wife!

TOO CUTE!
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes I am addicted to sugar.

I learned in OA years ago that it takes about three weeks to detox. I can't make it more than a day or two before I succumb to the craving.

I need help. More than an MFP pal, I need a sponsor-like MFP person to really work with for a few weeks to get detoxed.

SO far today I am clean. The afternoon is my worst. I cannot be alone in this - does this resonate with anyone else?
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    if you're addicted to sugar.......try putting honey in your food instead.....honey is better for you :-)
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    junkie
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'm a sugar addict!

I love to bake, and when people don't eat all the goodies I make, I eat them myself.

Yet I'm still losing weight and eating what I want, as long as I can exercise it off!

I'm not saying I eat brownie sundaes every day or anything, I still use moderation. But learning portion control has been key and like I said, I still eat what I want and am still losing weight, maybe not as quickly as others, but I'm satisfied and didn't have to give it up any foods that I love. I've done Paleo and given it up before, and I dropped weight extremely fast. They say once your body doesn't crave it you don't miss it. NOT TRUE. I missed it every day, but I stuck by my trainers and I dropped 42 pounds in 6 months. Slowly the weight crept back on, that's why I'm back (and within 6-12 pounds of my goal already in 7 weeks.)
  • tegtmeyerd
    tegtmeyerd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, SUGAR!! I'm definitely addicted. I blame my father for sharing his love of sweets with me and never being able to stop at a gas station without buying a tastykake, so share with me of course. My sugar problem is compounded by my hobby of baking. I don't buy cookies anymore, but when I crave them I just make them... I definitely need to get my sugar under control!!
  • ShyGirl89
    ShyGirl89 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm one, most definitely. My mother used to eat sweets when she was pregnant with me, and I came out being addicted to them.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to coke --- McDonald's Coke, that is. That's my sugar addiction. I get a large one (because they're only $1, right) almost every morning. I've kicked the habit a few times, but it just keeps calling me back.

Disclaimer: I'm (semi) joking about my McDonald's Coke "addiction" in this reply, but that in no way means that I am joking or poking fun at anyone who struggles with actual addictions (alcohol, drugs, food, etc.)
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely. I've also had a high sugar diet, which I knew but didn't realize fully til I started logging. 20 minutes ago I went to the grocery store for salad dressing and actually looked at the labels for the first time - so many of these "natural" ones have sugar as the first ingredient! I went with Annie's Lite Goddess ... delicious, and no sugar. :)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Oh I am going to get jumped for this. But here goes. Sugar is toxic. I don't mean it's going to kill anyone to put a tablespoon in their coffee or have a bit of ice cream. But, it's one of those things that your brain goes gimme more more more. So it is easy to have it creep into your diet in larger and larger amounts. But, I think if you remain mindful of how much you use and keep it down to a tablespoon or so a day it's not going to be that harmful. I would say reduce sugar down as much as possible even if it means using an artificial sweetener (that's controversial too), also try savory spices as a sub in some cases. Like sweet potatoes my family loves sweet potatoes with lots of sugar and marshmallows on top. I use a bit of butter and savory spices. That's just one example I am sure there are lots of sweet dishes that can be converted to savory.

Oh and one more thing. Use whole grains where ever possible too. White pasta converts to sugar very fast and it might even be as bad as sugar.