Low Carb

Options
Amanda82691
Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
I'm thinking of giving a low carb diet a try. But first I'd like to hear from those of you who have done it or do it. How did you keep things from getting boring on the menu, and how were your results?

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hey hun! I do Keto, which is high fat low carb - because of the PCOS, this is the only thing that seems to work well for me. I believe I have my macros set at 5% carbs/75% fat/20% protein.

I have found products on netrition that have been very helpful, they are mixes for bread, desserts, BBQ sauce, you name it, they probably have it. It had definitely made things easier when you have a bread craving or something.

I will say that since being low carb, I haven't really craved anything. That is probably one of the biggest benefits to eating low carb is your sweet tooth goes away (for the most part) and you appetite decreases :)

If you need any ideas, take a look at my diary, I don't usually log on the weekends, but I do during the week. Good luck Amanda! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyaMamaw
    AmyaMamaw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not really doing a "low carb" diet, but I am usually well under my suggested carb counts on here. I have changed all my breads (I rarely eat bread anymore) and pastas to whole wheat or multi grain. I rarely eat potatoes (one of my favorite) anymore, maybe once a week (twice if I'm lucky!!) I eat breakfast bagels, but I use the thin bagels instead of the regular bagels. I eat lots of protein and veggies. I tend to not eat as much fruit due to it being higher in sugar (that will cut out some carbs too).
    I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast, but for dinner I make something different every night. I just look for recipes I think I might want to try and I substitute the ingredients to the lower cal/fat/carb ingredients. My lunches consist of leftovers from dinner. I have lost about 24 pounds in 10 weeks so far.
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I stay away from bread, potatoes, white rice, pasta, sugar and processed foods as much as humanly possible, which most people would consider a "low carb" way of eating.

My plate usually consists of a protein, lots of low glycemic load vegetables and a fruit.

Goal is about 1400 cal a day, more calories on exercise days.

I workout really hard at least 4 hours a week, really sweat a lot.

9 months, 19 lbs but I am 54 so my metabolism is not what it was in my 20s, 30s or even 40s.

How do you keep from being bored by eating low carb foods?

Vary the vegetables, fruits and proteins.

Your palate will adjust and you will be able to taste more subtle differences in foods.