Shin splints! :(

Options
Does anyone know the best way to deal with shin splints? I'm currently doing the 30DS and the impact in the cardio moves have brought them on really bad in my left shin :( should I push through and carry on or rest it?

Replies

• cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fish_Fuzz
    Fish_Fuzz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ICE ICE BABY! I use to take two 1 gallon zip locks and fill them with ice and while sitting on the floor with my legs out just lay the bags on my shins for a while. It works wonders. Even the next morning I'd add the bags for a few minutes to keep the hurt off combined with some ibuprofen. When I first started running I got splints so bad I literally took a 5 gallon bucket put ice in it filled with water and soaked my alternating back and forth as each foot became too cold. The sooner after your run the better.
  • lself0924
    lself0924 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump, I'd like to hear other replies, ^ good advice
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When i was in my teens, i got shin splints real bad doing this bouncing drill on a tire. I got a paper dixie cup, put water in it, let it freeze. Take it out, then just rip away some of the paper cup and massage your shin with it. But like the other poster said, ICE... definitely works.
  • clee4335
    clee4335 Posts: 9
    Options
    I used to get really bad shin splints with Insanity. I started just doing it a few times a week until my body and shins could adjust. Also, stretching your calves really helps as well as rest. I bought arch pads for my shoes because my feet are kind of flat which I found out can give you shin splints. I also bought a new pair of tennis shoes because I was afraid mine were worn out. Paying attention to your foot fall can also help as well as landing softly when jumping, running, ect. You may also want to workout on a rubber mat, or something with better flooring than concrete. But ice does help alot....the best thing I think though is to rest and start slow because you can hurt your shins enough to make you stop and you dont want to do that. Just remember slower is faster!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Warming up and stretching is great for before the workout to help prevent them, and ice is great after the workout. If they become too much during the workout, slowing down and taking quicker strides instead of longer ones helps.

Once you get used to the workout, it will be much easier. I used to get shin splints just from walking on asphalt. D: Now, I don't get them nearly as often, even while running.
  • momo9128706
    momo9128706 Posts: 45
    Options
    Ice, heating pads, and tons of stretching! I got them pretty bad from 30DS also, and the days where I could barely handle it, I just modified the jumping jacks and other moves that made impact to hard. Then just did some extra ab/arm stuff later to make up for calorie difference. But don't give up! =]
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I've never had shin splints but among my runner friends the advice I hear over and over is heel walks -- walk on your heels across the room several times a day.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    The best advice I can give to help prevent shin splints...for what I have heard, shin splints is basically caused by imbalanced calf muscles. The best way to help prevent is to strengthen/stretch those muscles. When you are sitting down lift your leg and using you big toe like a pen, draw the alphabet with your feet. Do it with both feet, upper and lower case forward or backwards, however you want, but do that as often as you can (remember) to. Besides that, when it hurts, ice it :)
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi
    I have had them bad for years but I warmed up as much as I could with strethching and did lots of walking on the treadmill. When I started the C25K programme I thought that I might not survie due to shin splints but following this programme has been really good and my shin splints have not returned at all...maybe the interval training and gradual build up has helped a lot plus decent shoes and socks.....

So my C25K is complete and 9 weeks free of shin splints....hope you stop having that issue....
  • wacarr
    wacarr Posts: 25
    Options
    It could be you shoes as well. I use to get them really bad from not having enough support. When I used to do exercise videos at home I would do them barefoot and I got shin splints and then I started using shoes they went away. When I started working out at the gym a while ago they started hurting again. I went to this store called Peak Performance where they measure your feet and put you in really good shoes. I ended up buying some Asics and those got rid of my shin splints because my other shoes were not support of enough for me.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/shin_splints/page2.htm#what_are_shin_splints will explain most of what you need. From a former shin splint sufferer I can suggest calf compression sleeves. I have compression socks and find they work wonders at recovery, allowing me to consistently run upwards of 20 miles a week. Shoes.... you need good shoes. Padding and stability are key areas here. Don't expect a $30 pair of sneakers to do you any good. If you're serious about fitness, and having problems with shin splints, I suggest you hit up a runners store, have them check your gait and properly fit you for sneakers. You'll probably drop around $100 but you'll be amazed at the difference. In my experience runners stores are priced similarly to retail stores and but have better service, knowledge, and return policies.
  • gibsonrv
    gibsonrv Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for all you really helpful suggestions everyone :) I recently had some running shoes properly fitted with an arch in the bottom too so hopefully using them will improve it, I will definitely be trying the ice and all the different stretches suggested too, fingers crossed they don't last long!
  • Moroh
    Moroh Posts: 1
    Options
    research what works best first, Ice is good when you have Shin Splints (tibial stress syndrome), only use heat pads for before you go for runs (heat up your Shins for 5 - 10 minutes before you run after stretching to warm up that area of your legs.

Go to an Independent shoe store where that will put you on a Treadmill and check your Gait and how much you Pronate, and try on different shoes accordingly.

Check your running form, see what part of your foot is hitting the ground, Heel strike, Mid foot strike or Forefoot strike.
    Keep your upper body Vertical with a good amount of swing with your arms (make sure they do not overlap your mid - section.
    Hit the ground light and remember not to over - stride, you should have around 180 steps per minute (I've read), count one foot and simply double it.

Also before spending a small fortune on new running shoes, Insoles and whatever else there is in the hopes for a magical fix try working on your core strength and Glute, Hamstring, Calf and Achilles training (check YouTube or Google for Exercisers).

Shin Splints are an over - use injury meaning that you may be trying to do too much too soon and will have to slow down a bit and start small and only increase runs by %10 each week, and when you feel pain stop and rest until your bodies recovered, and do some Non or low impact sports to keep yourself fit, Swimming, water running, Cycling etc.

You have to respect Running, its not as simple as to just putting on a pair of expensive shoes with insoles, it takes time and patience, (I'm not trying to have a go at you by the way its just I had to learn the hard way myself and after spending all my money on shoes and what not, I ended having to bite the bullet and train up my body and put in the hard yards and now I'm fine).

I wish you luck Gibsonrv, I hope you get over this annoying debilitating injury.