breastfeeding

Options
ProTFitness
ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
I heard you can change your goals on here for breastfeeding.
Is this true and if so how do you do it? I cant seem to figure it out.
Plus does anyone know how many calories is would need while breastfeeding working out and to loose some weight. Thanks

Replies

• stefaniemorgan
    stefaniemorgan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I was still breastfeeding, I would just log it as a cardiovascular exercise. It shows up as around 500 calories a day if you breast feed at least 6 times a day:)
  • katymlivingston
    katymlivingston Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing-- I added it as an exercise and manually listed it at 500 calories. I always made sure to eat back all of those calories I burned so that I wouldn't mess with my milk supply.

One note-- if you do it this way, it will show up on your news feed "burned x calories breastfeeding" to your friends, but I don't know if that bothers you or not.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You can also search foods for breastfeeding and make the adjustment that way.

Please be sure to eat enough. I recommend that you set goal to 1 pound per week, eat back ALL exercise calories + an additional 500. Or calculate TDEE and take a moderate cut (like 10%) and then eat an additional 500 on top of that. I know first hand how an abundant milk supply can quickly dry up when not eating enough. I could've bought stock in fenugreek!! Best of success to you and your new little one and congrats!!!
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is 20 calories per 1 oz. I nurse a toddler and log it as food to get negative calories.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump:wink:
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Im still bf my 15 month old. I log it under food. There's many options, but you can search "breastfeeding" or "making mommy's milk", there's options for younger infant, older infants, you can also log by oz. if you pump and know that info. The older infant deducts about 250 cals, the younger infant deducts about 500 cals.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I agree with starting out conservatively. Some women have no issues losing weight and nursing and others will notice a drop in supply. With both kids I set to lose 0.5 lb a week and ate back everything. First time around I didn't have an issue, with my son I had to take a break when he was around 6 months old because I stopped producing. Good luck and congrats!
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I read not to go below 1500 calories as that's dangerous to supply, and that a goal of 1500-1800 is acceptable after the baby is 2 months old and there are no supply issues. I've noticed my 4.5 month old sleeps better (read LONGER) at night if I eat a lot of calories (2200-2300), but that's not helpful.

I don't exercise, I chase a 23 month old son and BF a daughter, so I figure I'm already burning enough calories, but I don't log it as exercise, I just eat accordingly.

I was making 1500 my goal, but have since upped it to about 1650. And I noticed I wasn't drinking enough water, so I really upped that.

I doubt any of this helps, but thought I would share. Once I reach my pp weight (5 lbs away) I plan on upping my calories more to like 1800. I want to lose weight (I still need another 12 lbs after that not to be overweight) but not in a way that will compromise our BFing relationship.
  • Jalana91
    Jalana91 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you should play around with it a little. I had done my bmr and even used a site to figure out what I needed to eat and I ate 1800 calories like I was suppose. Well I wasnt loosing weight at all I was gaining it. So I played around with it and right now BFing my 1 year old I eat 1450 Calories which is basically without adding the bfing into my bmr and I am loosing 2lbs a week which was my goal. I have not seen my breastmilk affected at all and I have been doing this for a month now so Idk maybe I am just different but I say try one week at your bmr +500 and move it down 100 calories each week until you figure out what you should be eating to loose what your goal is each week. Also I honestly never feel starved I have been eating more veggies and all around healthy stuff which fills you up and doesnt add to the calories I personally think that quality over quantity matters more and if your not hungry and milk production is fine then your doing fine and dont need to up the calories to be at the "standard" for bfing.
  • Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Add 500 calories for breast feeding plus eat back the majority of your exercise calories. I had my weight loss set at 2 lbs a week and I was starving! Switched it to 1.5 and it's worked great for me. Everyone is different. I get 1510 calories plus 500 for BF plus exercise calories. Seems like a lot, but I've lost 55 lbs in nine months (my daughter is almost 11 months).
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is 20 calories per 1 oz. I nurse a toddler and log it as food to get negative calories.
    there is a difference between calories that you create and calories required to synthesize the milk

American Academy of Pediatrics suggest taking in 500 additional calories.
    Make sure you take your prenatal vitamins because your milk has priority over nutrients of your own body.

Reference: Just finished family and maternal nursing class