To Win $50..recipes needed

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
Ok so my mom and I have decided to take on a challenge. We have agreed to not eat man made food for as long as we can. If god didn't make it and we didn't make it then we just plain don't eat it. No canned food, no processed, no candy, nothing. So I need some healthy recipes that I can make quickly that will help me win this bet. Got any for me?

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com love all her recipes
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Check out the eatcleandiet.com or cleaneatingmag.com.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok so my mom and I have decided to take on a challenge. We have agreed to not eat man made food for as long as we can. If god didn't make it and we didn't make it then we just plain don't eat it. No canned food, no processed, no candy, nothing. So I need some healthy recipes that I can make quickly that will help me win this bet. Got any for me?

Your food is going to be awfully bland, no cooking oils or anything like that. No jarred spices, no diary, no butter etc etc.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Your food is going to be awfully bland, no cooking oils or anything like that. No jarred spices, no diary, no butter etc etc.

This. How far are you taking this concept? I'm all for eating at home and cooking more food myself but I use oils, butter, tomato paste, vinegar, spices, honey, grains, and lots of other things that I did not produce myself. I bake my own bread but I use store-bought products to do it - flour, yeast, salt, etc.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try making a whole chicken (or large turkey breast w/ bones) in the crockpot! This will give you a ton of meat AND at least a couple cups of lovely stock you can use in soups/stews.

1 whole chicken or turkey breast (~6-7 pounds)
    2 onions
    2 cloves garlic
    Rosemary sprigs
    Thyme sprigs
    Sage sprigs

Halve and then quarter the onions, then spread 1 onion onto the bottom of the crockpot. Stuff chicken or turkey cavity with the other chopped onion, a couple cloves of garlic, and sprigs of rosemary, thyme, and sage. Set chicken on top of the bed of onions in the crockpot - breast side down!! - and add some more sprigs of herbs on top of the chicken. Close crockpot, set to low for 8 hrs.

If you want to brown the skin after the meat is done, you can take it out and broil it for a couple minutes, otherwise just discard the chicken skin or keep it with the bones in the freezer for making chicken broth at a later date.
  • meeper123
    Options

This. How far are you taking this concept? I'm all for eating at home and cooking more food myself but I use oils, butter, tomato paste, vinegar, spices, honey, grains, and lots of other things that I did not produce myself. I bake my own bread but I use store-bought products to do it - flour, yeast, salt, etc.

What about olive oil and such? Most of the things you listed are not man made lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What about olive oil and such? Most of the things you listed are not man made lol

Does mother nature bottle it?
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I'm just trying to understand your paramaters. All of the things I listed are processed/ man-made products. Grains grow naturally but are processed in some way before they get to your house as rice or flour or barley. Olives are pressed and processed to make oil. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just asking the ground rules.
  • meeper123
    Options

Does mother nature bottle it?

I grow most of my spices and we agreed olive oil will be fine why so defensive?
  • meeper123
    Options

I'm just trying to understand your paramaters. All of the things I listed are processed/ man-made products. Grains grow naturally but are processed in some way before they get to your house as rice or flour or barley. Olives are pressed and processed to make oil. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just asking the ground rules.

Gotcha it wasn't like layed out so much as bet you 50 bucks I can last longer eating clean than you can sorta thing