Am I Starving my husband on the 17 day diet?

Options
amandalc980
amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
My husband wanted to lose some weight and being the supportive wife (who has recently gained 10lb and i need to lose) i decided we could try the 17 day diet. He need to revamp the way he eats and his portions. its crazy! Lunch is usually two lean cuisine meals, then he has a beef pie for a snack before dinner. He doesn't have my sweet tooth, but he does like his protein.

So today he will eat:
Breakfast: yogurt, strawberries
Snack: cheese (babybel), protein bar
Lunch: BIG salad with turkey and avocado (Ok i realize big salad could be a matter of opinion. 3 cups romain lettuce, 2 cups spinach, celery stalk, two radishes, half an avocado, half a cup of lean turkey meat, little bit of olive oil)
Snack: baby carrots
Dinner: grilled salmon with steamed asparagus and carrots

However, hes hungry! I am not someone who loves to cook or can get too creative. I am looking for suggestions that I can easily put together and throw in a bag for his lunch snacks during the day. If he gets hungry he will find his own food and that could be a box of hot wings from KFC. Suggestions please!!!

Replies

• winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My husband wanted to lose some weight and being the supportive wife (who has recently gained 10lb and i need to lose) i decided we could try the 17 day diet. He need to revamp the way he eats and his portions. its crazy! Lunch is usually two lean cuisine meals, then he has a beef pie for a snack before dinner. He doesn't have my sweet tooth, but he does like his protein.

So today he will eat:
    Lunch: BIG salad with turkey and avocado (Ok i realize big salad could be a matter of opinion. 3 cups romain lettuce, 2 cups spinach, celery stalk, two radishes, half an avocado, half a cup of lean turkey meat, little bit of olive oil)

However, hes hungry! I am not someone who loves to cook or can get too creative. I am looking for suggestions that I can easily put together and throw in a bag for his lunch snacks during the day. If he gets hungry he will find his own food and that could be a box of hot wings from KFC. Suggestions please!!!

Apologies, I know nothing about 17 day diet. But as a general rule, guys DO love/need a lot of protein. Double the protein he's eating now (doesn't look like many protein calories at all, to me) and see how that works. Let him snack on extra lean ham rather than carrots.

I'd lose 8 lbs a week on the food you've listed and would likely attack the first beef that I happened to see, dead or alive...lol.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the 17 day diet is.

Why don't you guys just calculate how many calories he should be eating to lose weight and have him continue to eat the types of foods he enjoys, just cut the portions down to what is necessary to be within his calorie goal for the day.

Lunch ideas: Sandwiches, soup, wraps, meat & veggies, veggies & dip, yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, etc.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

So today he will eat:

He needs to be eating an appropriate amount of calories tailored to his age & size, just like everyone should be. A one-size fits all diet is not going to work. He might lose some weight (if he doesn't binge first), but as soon as he begins eating the way he used to, he will gain it all right back.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say whether you're starving him or not without knowing how much he weighs & his age, to calculate calories. If you need something to fill him up when he gets the munchies, my husband really likes popcorn...low fat is low in calories, but makes you feel full, & has some of that salty crunch some people like. You could give him some packages of the microwave popcorn to take to work.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Poor *kitten*.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Probably. Almost certainly.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    He needs to be eating an appropriate amount of calories tailored to his age & size, just like everyone should be. A one-size fits all diet is not going to work. He might lose some weight (if he doesn't binge first), but as soon as he begins eating the way he used to, he will gain it all right back.

Quoted for emphasis.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

So today he will eat:

Apologies, I know nothing about 17 day diet. But as a general rule, guys DO love/need a lot of protein. Double the protein he's eating now (doesn't look like many protein calories at all, to me) and see how that works. Let him snack on extra lean ham rather than carrots.

I'd lose 8 lbs a week on the food you've listed and would likely attack the first beef that I happened to see, dead or alive...lol.

Guys? Hell, even I eat 120ish grams of protein a day. Anyone would be smart to stay away from me, if I don't... lol
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'd be eating some pizza on the sly
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    He needs to plan his own diet - then he will own it and make his own decisions. You may be helping him too much for his own good xxx
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Gonna be honest here ... If I tried getting my fiance to eat that, he'd laugh in my face and then probably head over to Mcdonalds. Then again, his body requires between 2500-3000 calories daily so. Why not just find out his TDEE-20% and let him eat that amount of calories?
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the 17 day diet is.

Why don't you guys just calculate how many calories he should be eating to lose weight and have him continue to eat the types of foods he enjoys, just cut the portions down to what is necessary to be within his calorie goal for the day.

Lunch ideas: Sandwiches, soup, wraps, meat & veggies, veggies & dip, yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, etc.

THIS THIS THIS! Have him make an MFP account, THIS is exactly what it's for!
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Guys? Hell, even I eat 120ish grams of protein a day. Anyone would be smart to stay away from me, if I don't... lol
    [/quote]

And you look amazing! If that's not a fine testimonial for getting plenty of protein, I don't know what is.

PROTEIN!
  • losinitagain1
    Options
    I lasted four days on that diet. I would be mean to anybody that came near me! Feed him!!! LOL!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would have been starving too if I ate like that when I was trimming the fat. I ate about 2100-2200 calories per day gross with exercise, around 1900 without exercise.

I think you'd be better off determining an appropriate calorie goal based on the NEAT method (MFP method) or TDEE method. I'd also suggest less processed foods and junk foods and more natural, whole foods from a nutritional standpoint.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I wil definitely starve on that - so your husband might too......You are on MFP - let him join too... You are setting him up for failure with this fad.....
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I can understand if he's hungry. I've bought the book, READ it (most important) and followed the program. I also tracked calories on MFP at the same time, and the first 17 days are really only @1,100-1,200 calories. If he weighs more than 100#, I can certainly understand why he is hungry.

If he truly wants this to work, it's important that he has a plan he can stick too. I'm not a medical doctor, but I don't think 1,200 calories is enough for even a regular sized woman (maybe only really petite ones), let alone a man of most sizes. So have him double his protein sizes, and really enjoy even larger helpings of low calorie veggies that will fill him up with fiber and water.

Also eggs are a great protein to fill you up.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Your husband is probably thinking those kids of yours are looking pretty tender and tasty by now.

Feed him, or hide them.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    I dont know what theb17 day diet is but you could send some beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, string chees3, fiber one bar, popcorn, popchips, grilled chicken legs, grapes, melon, apple, soups, I hope this helps
    Feed him more so he doesnt wind up at kfc also u can look at people diaries for ideas
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Hell I eat more than that. Your husband is probably in need of more food.