serious strugglers only please

Options
I started my diet at 1200/day, because it was working for a friend. I did lose 34 pounds within the first 3 months without really adding exercise yet. (as I wanted to concentrate on accomplishing one thing at time) After maintaining 1200 calories, getting use to eating heathy, and getting 34 pounds off, I added workouts. This was just a 2-3 days a week eliptical.

I have since increased to 1350, but everything I read says I need to eat more calories. I also now do 3-4 days of zumba, and 1-2 weight training, 3 days boot camp. I have lost 91lb total, but it has taken me 21 months.

I should have already reached my goal by now. I have friends losing 100 pounds in 8 months.

Has anyone struggled with the calorie thing and had to increase due to not eating enough. If so, did it work? I am so scared of gaining weight back. I had my BMR tested when I first started and it came back below normal, and the dietician told me to eat 1600 calories. I have not had it tested again since I added workouts. My body just does not drop weight easily. If I'm not losing at 1350, how will I lose at 1600?

Please respond only if you have experience in this situation.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Do you want advice from people who are seriously struggling? Or serious people who are struggling? Or do you want advice from people who aren't struggling because they've had success and could probably offer you solid advice..
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    You've lost 91lbs, I would say that's a far cry from struggling..
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'd take advice from people that have succeeded and are not struggling... Which is not me, but I will say congrats on your 91lbs, that is NO small feat! And please don't compare yourself to the 100lbs in 8 months. Just don't. No one recommends that.
  • gabinonunes
    gabinonunes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1 lb per week is healthy weight loss and 91 lbs in 21 weeks is right about there. So I'd say you're doing great, not struggling. As for your friends, everybody's body is different. You can't expect to lose the same amount of weight as someone else even if your diet and exercise plans are exactly the same.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 years to lose about 60 pounds. I've kept it off for over 3 years.

Weight comes off slowly. Just keep doing what you're doing and give it more time. Stop rushing things.

Regardless, don't disregard the advice of people who found weight loss easier than you have. Some of those people who aren't "serious strugglers" might be able to tell you what they did to avoid the struggle you seem to fear you're facing.

But thinking that you're struggling is self-defeating. Let that mind-set go and say YAY for the success you've had.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between struggling and being disappointed because you are comparing yourself to people with exceptional rates of loss. You've lost 91 pounds. Why aren't you proud of your achievement?
  • godsgirl70
    godsgirl70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am proud of my accomplishments, I didn't mean to sound like I'm not excited. I just feel like I am working so hard at the gym now not to be losing at least 1 pound a week. I sometimes go a whole month and not drop 1 pound while eating 1300 calories and working my but off 8-9 times at the gym. It just doesn't seem possible.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just keep living your healthy lifestyle and your body will find its comfortable weight. As everyone else is saying, losing that much weight is AMAZING and you shouldn't compare yourself to your friends. I have a friend who consistently loses like 40-60 pounds in a short amount of time, goes back to her old habits and gains it back extremely quickly because she lost it so quickly. I have to check myself when I'm like "WTF HOW COME MY CLOTHES AREN'T FALLING OFF" and just focus on my own body and health.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Not everyone's bodies act and react the same

Exactly.
    Keep doing what you're doing. You're doing great..
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    1 lb per week is healthy weight loss and 91 lbs in 21 weeks is right about there.

/math
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I tried adding calories at the request of a nutritionist. 1300 up to 1800 and I gained 10 pounds in less than 2 months. She said, "maybe you are different."

So, if it is working and you are not hungry, I don't see a big problem. If you want to bump it up a few hundred calories, there are those that claim eating more helped them lose more. I am not one of them.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel like a serious struggler!! My diet has been awful the last few weeks, but other than that, I have been a pretty clean eater and a serious exerciser. My scale has gone up nearly ten pounds since last November!! I have gone down a size or so in clothing, so I know I am making changes, but not what I want to see when it comes to the scale! I figure that if I keep make healthy decisions, at some point, I will get to where I want to be. If it takes five years, it takes five years and along the way, I am learning and treating my body right.....
  • estralla03
    estralla03 Posts: 6
    Options
    I started my diet at 1200/day, because it was working for a friend. I did lose 34 pounds within the first 3 months without really adding exercise yet. (as I wanted to concentrate on accomplishing one thing at time) After maintaining 1200 calories, getting use to eating heathy, and getting 34 pounds off, I added workouts. This was just a 2-3 days a week eliptical.

I have since increased to 1350, but everything I read says I need to eat more calories. I also now do 3-4 days of zumba, and 1-2 weight training, 3 days boot camp. I have lost 91lb total, but it has taken me 21 months.

I should have already reached my goal by now. I have friends losing 100 pounds in 8 months.

Has anyone struggled with the calorie thing and had to increase due to not eating enough. If so, did it work? I am so scared of gaining weight back. I had my BMR tested when I first started and it came back below normal, and the dietician told me to eat 1600 calories. I have not had it tested again since I added workouts. My body just does not drop weight easily. If I'm not losing at 1350, how will I lose at 1600?

My experience is that the more you exercise the more calories you need to eat otherwise your body goes into a deficit and holds on to everything because it is in starvation mode. I know that this makes no sence but it does work. When I started trying to loose weight I was only eating once a day and now I am eating between 5 and six times a day. Smaller healthier meals is the way to go that way you are constantly fueling your body especially when you had exercise. The key is healthy choices that you can live with so that it becomes a lifestyle.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I think your expectations are skewed. 100 lbs in 8 months is A LOT! That's great that your friends were able to accomplish that.... But 40 lbs in 8 months is also excellent. It sounds like you're losing pretty quickly. There are hundreds of posts about why low calorie might not be the greatest idea so I won't go there :wink: Good luck!

ETA I'm not a struggler. But I am serious! :flowerforyou:
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand quiltily* I am right where you are, except I have had to come to grips with the fact that I needed to eat more. I do the same thing every time. I eat 1200-1300 calories everyday and then I stall out right when I get to 165lbs and then I bounce back up to 170-175. That 165lbs it my weightloss half way point to where I want to be. I am still working on keeping my calories in a range that is still healthy and will still allow me to lose. I started eating more and was really freaking out that it just wasn't going to work. Until I got on the scale yesterday and I lost a lb. I have only been working on it for about a week but I will take that pound!
    Yes you need to eat more. You need to figured out what your BMR is and your TDEE. This is the site I like it gives you both. Then take 15-20% off of your TDEE and that is the number you need! Give it a least 2 weeks and then see if you start lossing again.
    I bet you will!!!
    http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It took me over a year to lose 50 pounds. I maintained that for 8 years. 2 years ago I decided to try for 15 or so more. It look me 2 years to lose 8 pounds. I am guessing it the next 2-3 years I will lose the other 7.

I am just telling you that so you know you are no alone in slower loss -- but the truth, is don't compare yourself to anyone. You are doing fine -- 91 pounds over any period of time is amazing. It requires dedication and hard work. Head up and continue.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi I was on a 1200-1300 calories diet for a few months and i lost 15 pounds...i was still losing but it seems like it took forever..plus i felt deprived and like i was starving all the time!!!...I had made several post about increasing my calories to 20% TDEE and i got a lot of great feed back from people saying it worked...well i increased my calories to 1700 and the first week and half to two weeks i gained and didnt lose anything...but after that in one week i lost 3.6 pounds...and it def works....i just kind of went off my tracking for a while and gained weight back...but it works...i was so worried about increasing my calories and im glad i did because i was more full and satisfied.....i never binged or cheated either...it def works!! it wouldnt hurt to try it...plus you need to remember to give your body time...some people told me it could take 4 to 6 weeks...
  • SaebraSpirit
    SaebraSpirit Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Whats always worked for me is eating plenty of calories but also exercising a lot every day, weight training, sprinting (though not excessively) and adding in IF. IF is also known as Intermittent Fasting.
    Its incredibly useful for overall health and for weight loss/fat loss.
    I recommend you look it up.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

when i did an online weight loss estimate calculator, and an aggressive one at that (slimfast.com) , it came up with 80 lbs in one year. Your friends can do their thing but it seems kind of too fast as per whatever I looked up persoanlly. You do your thing, and be sure that you will enjoy lasting success and maintenance. It's only a race with yourself and you are better than you were yesterday and 91 lbs better than you were before you started. You are amazing and an inspiration. Just. As. You. Are. :flowerforyou:
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I think your pace sounds good, you've lost 90lbs in less than 2 years, that's not struggling to me. When I first joined, I thought I'd be able to lose all my weight in 6 months, I soon learned that it wasn't going to happen! I've been logging consistently for 500 days and I've lost 58 pounds, it's slower than I thought it would be but weight loss isn't a race!

Try upping your calories for a few weeks and see what it does, everyone is different so the only way to see if something will work for you is to try it.