Retaining Water

Options
Need help on natural ideas to get rid of retained water. I read on here that sometimes starting a new workout program can cause water retention (just started sprinting program). I also read that eating bananas, yogurt or cranberry juice can help. Any other ideas? I tend to retain quite a bit at TOM and if weather gets unusually warm. I'm working out 5-6 days a week (alternating cardio and weight training). Would love input. Thanks!

Replies

• kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump to read responses...
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I recently injured my arm (elbow & wrist), and was taking large quantities of ibuprofen and other NSAID's (Aleve and similar knockoffs). I was devastated to realize that I had gained a whopping 5 lbs in less than a week!!

When I read up about it online, I found a couple tips--

Try to have a low-sodium diet, and make SURE you are drinking at least 8 cups of water every day, if not more.

If you take any sort of NSAID's regularly (including for period pain), try to take as low of a dose as possible and couple it with a lot of water. Definitely do not exceed the recommended dosage unless prescribed by a doctor.

Take Fish Oil supplements, they will help your body to counteract retaining water and will help your kidneys to flush your system out better, or so I've read.

Hope this helps!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    keep drinking water -- your body will learn to flush it out after you get into routine of lifting
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    eat watermelon. seriously, it works :)
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Dandelion tea - natural diuretic.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Low sodium and drinking a ton of water are all I know. I take a prescription diuretic, as my retention is ridiculous, which is related to my thyroid disease. I tried slowly weaning myself off them, dropping the dose to every other day. Yeah, that didn't work out. On top of taking the prescription meds, I still watch my sodium and (I have a really hard time with it, therefore...) I drink a ridiculous amount of water to offset it. That really DOES help. I try to do at least 8 bottles worth (16 cups) per day.
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Water, and all it's variations - fruit that is mostly water (melons, grapes in moderation), electrolyte enhanced water, herbal teas - I always attribute water weight to excess sodium (I always 'gain' after eating out) and if I am diligent with drinking water it goes away. I always feel a 'letdown' where I have to pee several times in an hour, and that is usually when I can expect my weight to go back to normal. :)
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Less sodium. That's all I got. It seems to be doing the trick. And drink more water.(I'm SURE you knew I was going to type that). I try to have a glass in between meals and after. Good luck.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Start your day with hot water + lemon + dash of cayenne pepper, followed by bottle of water and wait an hour to eat.
  • 81meg1L
    81meg1L Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A couple old wives' remedies for water retention:

-dramatically cut salt intake
    -put my feet up during the day if possible, but definitely while at home.
    -eat fresh Pineapple, Spinach, Asparagus. (I believe these help flush my system, i.e. make one go to the bathroom.)
    -drink water with lemon
    -drink water with mint leaves infused
  • rochellewilson70
    Options
    Thanks everyone... This is great feedback. I will try these things and see what works. :) Thank you!
  • loragp
    loragp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I found this little concoction on another website and it works for me. It's called Jillian Michael's Detox Tea.

60 oz. purified water
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1 Tbsp. cranberry juice
    1 Dandelion Root tea bag

Add water, lemon juice and cranberry juice to a jug and give it a little swirl to combine. Add the tea bag and let it steep according to the package directions. Drink the entire amount throughout the day. Repeat daily for 1 week.

My preferences: I use cold filtered water, fresh squeezed lemon juice and 100% cranberry juice (no cocktail with sugar or other juices added). I also sweeten it a bit with some stevia powder. I combine it all in a 64 oz plastic container that has a lid with a pour spout. I really enjoy the light flavor and I also find that I don't crave soda or sweet tea while drinking this becuase I don't get bored with it like I do with plain water.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When I start retaining water I drink more to help flush it out. When it's the TOM and I feel completely bloated I drink the skinny tea from David's Tea. I find it helps with my water retention & bloat as well.