Motivation Tricks

Options
What are your tricks to stay motivated? Do you give yourself prizes? Hang pictures? What helps you?

Replies

• cinciti
    cinciti Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I sign up for races 5k's, bike races, triathlon's... Then once I sign up the training begins! I do not want to fail so I have to stay motivated to continue my workouts! I also hang up pictures but they really do not motivate as much as knowing I have a race in X amount of days and I want to complete it! This year alone I've done 2 5k's and 20mile bike race. Next month is my sprint triathlon. I did all the other races to help me train for my triathlon. Hope this helped! :smile:
  • SmashWhite85
    SmashWhite85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I sign up for races 5k's, bike races, triathlon's... Then once I sign up the training begins! I do not want to fail so I have to stay motivated to continue my workouts! I also hang up pictures but they really do not motivate as much as knowing I have a race in X amount of days and I want to complete it! This year alone I've done 2 5k's and 20mile bike race. Next month is my sprint triathlon. I did all the other races to help me train for my triathlon. Hope this helped! :smile:

That's a really great point. They are doing Run or Dye here next month and I really want to do it but am scared I can't do 5k. How about instead of being scared, I just make it happen! Thanks, Cinciti
  • SmashWhite85
    Options
    I'm bummed this isn't getting more replies. I know one of my MFP pals has a reward system for each pound lost. I thought that was a great idea, too. Let's share em!
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I hang up clothes that I want to get into. I have a fav pair of jeans hanging up right now that I really want to wear again
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    simply the summer and being by the pool. Do I want to look decent or do I want to be the only fat guy? That is huge within itself.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    mine is being able to fit in my smaller clothes, and my hubby, and just always feeling insecure makes me motivated to do something about it....hope that helps :)
  • Gunr2147
    Gunr2147 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time at this too. I know what I "should" be doing for a healthier me but trying to stay that way is a huge pain in the butt. I don't reward myself, I just try to set mini goals like loose another pound and keep checking back to see if and when I achieve that goal. I make it a contest with myself I guess.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    motivation outside yourself just doesn't work. when you want to change as badly as you want air when you're drowning, you are ready.
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I look at old pictures of myself before I lost weight and tell myself that I never want to go back to that.

I also check out motivational pictures like these: http://www.simplyshredded.com/motivation-part-15.html

Sometimes I'll even watch bodybuilding videos on YouTube prior to hitting the gym.
  • SmashWhite85
    Options
    I hang up clothes that I want to get into. I have a fav pair of jeans hanging up right now that I really want to wear again

I did that - put them in the front of my closet... But it's had the reverse effect on me! I just get bummed out when I see them. :-\
  • SmashWhite85
    Options
    simply the summer and being by the pool. Do I want to look decent or do I want to be the only fat guy? That is huge within itself.

This is a huge one of mine. Pool parties are some of my favorite things and I have a Summer Bday. Want to look goooood for it!
  • SmashWhite85
    Options
    motivation outside yourself just doesn't work. when you want to change as badly as you want air when you're drowning, you are ready.

Hm. I've never heard anything like this before. As an extremely visually minded person, I disagree. I can be plenty motivated within, but those outside triggers sure help quite a bit.
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have found it very helpful to take a picture and my measurements once a month, in addition to weighing weekly. My weekly weigh-ins help me see pounds falling, but I really notice the difference in those monthly pictures. The differences were pretty marked when I first started doing strength training. It felt so good to be able to see what impact my workouts were having.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

This is a huge one of mine. Pool parties are some of my favorite things and I have a Summer Bday. Want to look goooood for it!

I suppose that's an advantage of living in Scotland. Looking fat at a 'pool party' is not a problem I have to face!!!
  • SmashWhite85
    Options
    I have found it very helpful to take a picture and my measurements once a month, in addition to weighing weekly. My weekly weigh-ins help me see pounds falling, but I really notice the difference in those monthly pictures. The differences were pretty marked when I first started doing strength training. It felt so good to be able to see what impact my workouts were having.

I just took my first pics last night! I've been working a month and was always scared of taking 'before' pics, for whatever reason. Finally buckled down... That was a real moment of truth. Seeing it on the camera screen.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    - Hide my scale
    - Take progress pictures so I can see visible results
    - I often envision myself at my goal
    - Plan on the clothes I will buy when I get to my goal :)
  • OhSnap779
    OhSnap779 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My children motivate me. I lost my mom when I was young and cried at every big event in my life (marriage, babies, divorce, graduation) wishing she were there with me. All I have to do is think about me not being here to see my kids graduate, get married, become parents, etc, and that is reason enough for me to power through any excuses or obstacles that may come up.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,842 Member
    Options
    I get depressed so easily and would like some ideas for motivations as well! I think I'll look for a picture of me before I put on all the weight and put it somewhere I can see it every morning. That might help, or may make me more depressed, who knows? Have to try it to see...
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The problem with outside motivation for myself is that if I want it bad enough then I'll get it even if I haven't been having a good week.
    I'm talking about books and coffee, of course.

I think a good motivator is clothes that are a smidge too tight that slid on easy peasy after a month.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I am just a stubborn person. I decided how I want to look, and I WILL attain that. When I look in the mirror and do not see it, I am motivated to work harder. When I lose 1-2 lbs in a week, I know I am that much closer to my goal. And I am, again, motivated to work harder.