Change goals on MFP

Options
How often do you all recalculate your goal calories on MFP?

When I started I was 279.2 lbs and to lose 1.5 lbs a week it told me to eat 1750 calories/day (with exercise 4 x a week for 30 minutes).

I am now 270.2 lbs so I thought I'd recalculate, and it stated 1700 calories/day.

However, I have consistently been losing more than 2 lbs/week, so I actually set my calorie goal to 1850 calories/day. During the 9 lb loss I have had so far, I have varied between 1700-2300 calories/day and been successful.

Just wondering how often you change goals and whether anyone else personalizes caloric needs.

Replies

• 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    My calories go down a bit every time I lose a pound.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My calories go down a bit every time I lose a pound.

Oh wow,so you recalculate every time you lose weight then?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think a good rule of thumb is that you update your goals every 10 pounds... MFP might even prompt you to do so, but I could be wrong... It's been awhile since I've lost 10 pounds. :tongue:
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think a good rule of thumb is that you update your goals every 10 pounds... MFP might even prompt you to do so, but I could be wrong... It's been awhile since I've lost 10 pounds. :tongue:

oh awesome! i'll let you know if it prompts me to (hopefully i'll be at 10 lbs lost soon!)
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It will prompt you to recalculate your goals every 10 lbs. I just lost my first 10 lbs and it asked me if I wanted to. I said no, because about 5 lbs of those were Time of Month pounds when I first started!!! So I checked the box that said ask me after the next 10 lbs.
  • iluvwdw
    Options
    I wonder now if I should recalculate mine now? or wait? what is better?? and how do I do that if it doesn't ask me? thanks.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I wonder now if I should recalculate mine now? or wait? what is better?? and how do I do that if it doesn't ask me? thanks.

It's up to you - it probably won't make too much of a difference, but it couldn't hurt... You go to "My Home" --> Settings -->
    "Update diet/fitness profile"

Double check all the info on the there, then hit Update - even if none of the info changes, this will update your goals to match your new current weight.
  • iluvwdw
    Options

It's up to you - it probably won't make too much of a difference, but it couldn't hurt... You go to "My Home" --> Settings -->
    "Update diet/fitness profile"

Double check all the info on the there, then hit Update - even if none of the info changes, this will update your goals to match your new current weight.

Thank You. I updated it based on my current weight and losing 1 1/12 lbs per week. It downed my calories by about 100 or so per day which is ok cause I have been at a deficit of 400 or so anyways. About 1/2 the week I excercise more than my goal of 30 mins per day.

Thanks for the info!!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Everytime I lose weight. Around 3 lbs at a time.
  • AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    MFP has asked me every ten pounds about recalculating. I have lowered my goal twice, and each time MFP lowered my allowable calories for a pound a week loss. End result is that I can't eat a whole lot because I weigh less, and I burn fewer calories when I exercise. Not sure if I will go on maintenance or lower my goal another few pounds as I am getting the hang of tracking calories.
  • annedwds
    annedwds Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi does anyone know how I can lower my goal weight? I put in the wrong one!!
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi does anyone know how I can lower my goal weight? I put in the wrong one!!

Click "My Home" then "settings" then select update my diet/fitness profile, you can change your goal weight there
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    When MFP asks you to consider changing your goals, I'm torn as to whether I'm suppose to increase my calories or decrease? I haven't hit a plateau yet, and most of the time I'm under my calorie goal for the day. Should I just keep it the way it is?
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I changed my suggested calories as they were under my BMR! So each time I lose weight I recalculate my BMR and redo my calories so I'm always above my BMR.