How do I lunge properly?!

Options
I'm really struggling with lunges - always end up hurting my knees, especially with side lunges. I think it's because I have big hips and it sort of pushes my knees at an angle, can't seem to line up my knees properly (if that makes sense?!). Anyone have this problem or any advice on how to lunge correctly without hurting myself?

Replies

• Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    anyone? :)
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Don't think about your knees while you do the exercise.

Think about all the muscles you use and engage while doing the lunge, and chances are they will naturally support your knee better.

I haven't seen you lunge, so I don't know where the problem stems from, but start with that.

Engage your entire leg and body in support of your knee and weight.
  • Idiotism
    Idiotism Posts: 2
    Options
    A good tip i have used is not to concentrate on the leg that lunges, you may be stretching out too far. Focus on keeping good form on the receding leg (perpendicular to the floor with front lunges), keep your weight balanced but slightly forward and drive from the leading foot back up.

If you're still having trouble, video yourself and compare your technique to some youtube demonstrations.
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This might not be your problem, but how do your feet fit into your shoes? I found that I have a tendency to have my heel come out of my shoe when doing lunges. When I finally found a shoe that keeps my heels in there, lunges got to be a lot easier. I've also found that going slow on lunges works a lot better for me than trying to do them fast.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Actually that's a good point about the shoes - these ones are pretty old and might not be supportive enough.