Ideas needed for healthy taco salad!!

Options
ziggy1490
ziggy1490 Posts: 5 Member
I'm craving a taco salad for supper tonight. Any ideas for a healthier version of a home made taco salad?

Replies

• alaskagirl5
    alaskagirl5 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Remember, seasonings and spices don't add calories, just flavor! :) Try using ground turkey instead of ground beef for less fat! :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What's not healthy about a taco salad?
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey, Fat Free western dressing, and reduced fat Shredded cheese. Low fat or fat free sour cream and avocados to top it off
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Make the taco meat... make a salad. put them together top with avocado, salsa and greek yogurt... If you NEED crunch in there, then go ahead and add a sprinkling of tortilla chips if you have room in your carbs/calories.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Cook a skinless chicken breast in salsa and shred it. (If you plan ahead, this is great to do in a crock pot.) Add some black beans or pinto beans if you like. Go easy on the tortilla chips and high-calorie toppings like sour cream and cheese. Load your plate with greens, chopped tomato, and any other veggies you like. It's a very healthy dinner that way!
  • ziggy1490
    ziggy1490 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I never thought about using Greek yogourt. That's perfect!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    Ok I love me some tacos! Here's what I do...find an oven safe bowl...drape a whole wheat tortilla over it upside down (I like the low carb ww version...71 calories and low carb!). Toast it in a 400 degree over while you assemble the rest of your ingredients (appx 10-12 mins). This will make you a crunchy taco shell "bowl" like you get at restaurants! Load up the "bowl" with lots of lettuce, Black beans, roasted corn (if desired), jalepenos, tomatoes, ground seasoned turkey meat (be careful when you buy your ground turkey...make sure it's 99% lean or it'll be just as bad as beef!), and a little bit of avadcado and fat free sour cream (and any other veg....you don't even miss the cheese! Delish and low cal!

Eat up! :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Remember, seasonings and spices don't add calories, just flavor! :) Try using ground turkey instead of ground beef for less fat! :)

a tablespoon of chili powder has 24 calories- 1 gram of protein, 1 gram of fat, 4 grams of carbs with 3 grams being from fiber.. Not a huge amount, but it can add up especially if you are very generous with the spices like I am!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Make a taco salad. Use lots of guacamole. The end. :flowerforyou:

(seriously, what's unhealthy about taco salad?)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Make a taco salad. Use lots of guacamole. The end. :flowerforyou:

(seriously, what's unhealthy about taco salad?)

^
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Taco salad can be one of the most fattening, high calorie meals that might seem slightly healthy.
    I make mine with the following:
    Use low fat or fat free sour cream, no cheese, shredded baked chicken (some turkey can more fattening than lean beef), black beans, lots of green leaf or romaine lettuce and tomatoes and salsa. All tortillas are high in calories, but baking instead of frying makes all the difference.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    just don't eat the taco, or taco meat, or taco seasoning, or taco salsa or anything else with the word "taco" in it. what you will have left is a salad. and some hunger.
  • ECos81
    ECos81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use romaine lettuce, fat free ground turkey meat, low sodium seasoning, fat free sour cream, 2% or FF shredded cheddar, black beans, diced tomatos, jalapenos, and some bell peppers. I don't use any dressing and sometimes will add a little avocado if I have it! :bigsmile:
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Lean ground beef made with taco seasoning
    light cheese
    light sour cream mixed with salsa for dressing
    black beans
    romaine lettuce
    depending on calorie allotment....a few crushe tortilla shells, or even a few doritos.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Taco salad can be one of the most fattening, high calorie meals that might seem slightly healthy.
    I make mine with the following:
    Use low fat or fat free sour cream, no cheese, shredded baked chicken (some turkey can more fattening than lean beef), black beans, lots of green leaf or romaine lettuce and tomatoes and salsa. All tortillas are high in calories, but baking instead of frying makes all the difference.

Excess calories contribute to body fat. Not one particular food, combination of food, or lack of precieved "health". The only "fattening food" is excess calories.