Any vegetarians/pescatarians/vegans out there?

Options
Would love to be friends with you! I have been pescatarian (I try and have some form of seafood 2 to 3 times a week) for almost 12 months now. I would love to hear your tips on healthy eating and also hear of any great recipes you have found along the way. Please feel free to add me :)

Replies

• kachochan
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been a pescatarian for 6 years or so.
    Veggies and fruit are 60-70% of my daily intake, 10% goes to fish a seafood (meaning a piece or a small bowl once a day and not everyday), 10% nuts, seeds, grains and 10% other. Roughly.

I find it really easy to cook and I know couple of fast-n-easy recipes that always please me.
    Recently I've been using MFP and I lost 2 kg with it - just because I have finally bought kitchen scales and learnt the calories of the products I'm eating.

Fish and seafood is delicious and easy to get in the country I live, veggies are great, too, but quite expensive.
    I'm a cheese lover, but it's hard to get it and it's expensive. Add the fact that's it's too high in calories - here we go, I'm not such a cheese lover anymore :)

How about you?

Cheers,
    Kacho
  • healthinside
    healthinside Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian about 1 year ago. Now I'm transitioning to a complete vegan diet. But I still eat cheese from time to time (mainly when eating outside or at non-vegan friends).

Would be happy about some vegan/vegetarian friends here, so feel free to add me! :)
  • sweettalkinggirl
    Options
    Great to meet you both!! November will mark 12 months since I went pescatarian. I am loving the whole experience and have not had one craving for meat since I turned. I mainly this diet as I have never been a great lover of meat and when I did eat it half a bottle of sauce would go onto it just to kill the taste - hence probably part of the reason to my weight gain. Having said that I do sometimes eat vegan, especially when it comes to dessert as I have recently developed allergies to cow's milk and eggs. I also love the range of foods now available to us! Here where I am from, there are many independent grocers and small stores that either have a large range of grocery or just solely stock vegetarian/vegan food.

I began using MFP on Thursday last week and already have lost 3.1kgs! I love how now I can check the app and see how many calories are in something before it ends up in my mouth! Also I am starting to measure out my portions which I have never done!

Good luck to both of you with your weight goals! :D
  • skye_gough
    Options
    Hey, vegetarian 9 years:)
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for over a decade before going pescatarian about a year ago. ...now I love seafood so much, I have no idea what I was eating previously. I'm currently doing low carb, and I have found myself saying, 'man, if I ate meat, this would be so much easier', but I doubt I'll ever eat it again. Nice to meet you!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's a group of veggies here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

Feel free to add me, I've been vegetarian for 3 years after being a life-long meat eater.
  • nikki01995
    nikki01995 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I used to be a vegetarian for almost a year but I had some dilemmas. I then became a pescatarian, its almost been 2 years and I am so happy. Meat/Chicken+Me=no more :)
  • lajolla0215
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 15 years and now I am a pescatarian...would love to see what everyone else is eating!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Started as pescatarian just over 1 year ago, went full (lacto-ovo) vegetarian Sept 1. Working on cutting out eggs, dairy, and gluten though. My diary isn't open, but I'm open to answering messages/questions! :smile:
    I also have a Pinterest board full of recipes. Anyone can feel free to browse (you don't have to have a Pinterest account to view them): http://pinterest.com/crista_b/living-the-veg-life/
  • Brandywinne3
    Options
    Yes I am a vegatarian. I am shooting for Vegan. Hard to do with so many additives. However I am going fully organtic. I have been veggie for over a year now. feel much better but have eaten chicken for protein and was starving.
  • Brandywinne3
    Options
    yeah you go girl... that is the only way me too.
  • kryscas
    kryscas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yay for vegetarians! :flowerforyou: I've been a vegetarian now for almost 15 years. :heart:
  • mnavoy
    mnavoy Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't like to label myself as a vegetarian but I have cut out meat for the most part and make many tasty vegan recipes from the blog Oh She Glows. Highly recommend it!
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for over a year now! All veggies, pesci's, and vegans please feel free to add me. :smile:
    I'm thinking of going vegan sometime soon down the road.
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hi, been vegan looonnnggg time if i call myself that, i eat a bit of cheese out// am thinking about ontroducing some seafood if i could source wild & ethically caught in the uk..having trouble getting my head round eating it still (:

my reasons are that i'm a middle aged woman and aiming for an anti inflammitary diet..salmon is being quoted a lot..anyone with similar dilemma would like to hear from you
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly vegan at home and I will eat cheese on occasion when I go out. I was craving ice cream though a couple days ago so I got some. It was so not worth it when it's gone I am going back to dairy free even if all they have is chocolate.
  • snowcoon
    snowcoon Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi there. I don't eat a whole lot of meat and, when I do eat it, I try to ensure it's well-sourced/ethical/higher welfare. I tried vegetarianism a few years ago, for ethical reasons, but I am always borderline anaemic and found that I needed at least some meat to stay/feel healthy. However, I generally eat fish/veggie food and many of my favourite dishes are meat free. I don't get people who have to include it in every meal. If anyone would like to add me, please do :) Would love to share veggie meal ideas etc!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since I was a kid. Some of what I eat is vegan, but I do eat dairy.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    pescatarian
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I became a vegetarian about 40 years ago (OMG I feel old!), however after about 10 years started adding a small amount of shellfish to my diet as it had gotten a bit unhealthy...hence the weightgain as I replaced my proteins with carbs :frown:
    On the whole I now eat pretty healthy, just a bit too much cheese and nuts. I eat shrip maybe once a week, but the rest of the time I survive on vegiburgers or meals made out of TVP, or beans and pulses. I've gotten quite good at doing two dishes a night - meat for the husband and children and a vegi-substitute for me, over the years my children have gotten to prefer the vegi alternative. For example meat burritos, tacos or shepherds pie for the husband and the same with Morningstar burger crumble or Quorn mince for me.